Slightly bent shim on muzzle brake ok?

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Just had the gunsmith torque down my muzzle device using the included shim. Noticed one side of the shim is bent a little, I assume from being torque down. Looking down the bore with the suppressor both on and off it looks perfectly clear, no sign of any obstruction. Just wanted to make sure my brand new can isn’t going to get destroyed on the first shot. Thanks in advance.

dan

Attachments

• FB292023-A10A-4A10-A662-AA88A82A959A.jpeg
    FB292023-A10A-4A10-A662-AA88A82A959A.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 87

Oldffemt

WKR
Just had the gunsmith torque down my muzzle device using the included shim. Noticed one side of the shim is bent a little, I assume from being torque down. Looking down the bore with the suppressor both on and off it looks perfectly clear, no sign of any obstruction. Just wanted to make sure my brand new can isn’t going to get destroyed on the first shot. Thanks in advance.

dan

I wouldn’t trust my can on that. Like WB said, he used the wrong size shim. Carbon arrows make a pretty decent bore guide to check clearance. They may look at you a little weird while you’re mic-ing all the different shaft sizes but it works.

Uhh yeah I don't think I'd be real into that.
Looks to me like your barrel profile is a little small for that setup.
I'd mic your barrel and talk with the suppressor manufacturer to see if they have something that more appropriate for your muzzle size.

OP
D

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Uhh yeah I don't think I'd be real into that.
Looks to me like your barrel profile is a little small for that setup.
I'd mic your barrel and talk with the suppressor manufacturer to see if they have something that more appropriate for your muzzle size.

Well now I'm second guessing things. I emailed Dead Air with the pic just to be sure. Probably a dumb question but what does mic the barrel mean?

Last edited:
Seems like stoning the back of the break until it is timed is the way to go for your setup.
If half the shim is sticking out from the flange idk how it could be anything but crooked.

OP
D

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like stoning the back of the break until it is timed is the way to go for your setup.
If half the shim is sticking out from the flange idk how it could be anything but crooked.
Seems to be that or the very thin shim is wider than the outside diameter where the barrel is threaded and the part sticking out is forced down with the pressure.

OP
D

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Okay so a final update to put this thread to rest. Dead Air got back to me. Earlier I sent them photos of the shim and muzzle device on the rifle and explained the situation. They said it's nothing to worry about so with that I'm done worrying about it.

On a related subject, I did take it out and put 10 rounds through it yesterday just to find out what it sounds like and was VERY impressed. Granted the rifle is .243 but that's still not a rifle I'm going to shoot without ears on unsuppressed and after the first shot I fired the last nine with no discomfort. Not even a slight temporary ringing in my ears. Very impressed with that can.