Slightly Flat Primers?

TX_Diver

WKR
Awhile ago I did an OCW test across a wide range of charges and eventually settled on the load I have now. Wondering if I didn't miss some pressure signs back then though so looking for another opinion.

When I did the OCW it was pretty cold so I was leaving the ammo inside, then shooting, looking for pressure signs, coming inside and loading up a new magazine, then going back out, shooting, etc. What I missed during that was comparing the appearance of the primers to one that was unfired...

Yesterday I shot a bit and since it was warm (~35) and I wasn't doing load development I took the entire ammo box outside as I normally would. At the end of the day I happened to look at the primers next to some unfired primers and realized that I may have missed some (now fairly obvious) flattening of the primers with the reloads when I was doing my OCW test.

Load is a 77gr SMK in 1x LC 19 brass w/ 24.0gr of N140. The VV app lists 24.7 gr as the max (book = 2657 fps, I got 2772 at 24.6gr). Sierra lists 22.7gr as max (book = 2620 fps, I got 2597 at 22.8gr). These loads at 24.0gr were at 2710 fps when I originally did the OCW test back in November. Rifle is a T3x Lite w/ 22.4" barrel. I am cutting the barrel down to 18" shortly so at that point I'll need to re-evaluate obviously if I lose a bunch of velocity.

From all that I'm interested in opinions on the primer flattening shown below. The left column (single row) was 22gr of N140 with a 75gr ELD-M in LC18 brass. The right 2 rows was 24gr of N140 w/ a 77gr SMK in LC19 brass. I'm guessing I should back off a little further to 23.5 gr or so of N140 (I was getting 2642 fps at 23.4gr) but wanted to at least get a second opinion.

5zvIbuJ.jpg

bjmSHuF.jpg

Regarding the other marks on the brass I believe those were there. The last time I shot I took a sharpie and marked the brass anywhere it had an indent, ding, scratch, etc. across 10 round to make sure that they were from the original firing (presumably a semi-auto). I was not getting any new ejector or bolt swipe marks from my gun.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
What primers?

They don't look concerning to me. Ejector swipes on brass are a better indicator of pressure, especially if using primers like CCI400s, which have thin cups and flatten easily.

Sometimes I get flat primers from a certain brass/primer combo. I would not sweat it too much but the safest assumption would be that it’s near max. Fwiw, in my tikkas I usually see an ejector mark first, then a heavy bolt. I back off a little from the ejector marks at a minimum. They seem to show up pretty clear in my 3 tikkas.

EdP

WKR
I agree with the above in that I don't really see anything significant, and in the absence of other more reliable indicators, it does not look like a problem. Since you are very close to max from VV and over max from Sierra, I'd keep a close watch for pressure signs if you shoot that load at higher temps.

Vern400

WKR
Bolt gun?
Don't go up on charges.
Don't let anybody borrow shells or mix guns.
Roll on and don't worry.

A warm day is 35° c, not 35° Fahrenheit. So you better really watch your butt if you do shoot on a warm day with those cartridges. I've had a 40F swing make me pull bullets on 7.62