Sling Daypack

ihmun

FNG
I am wondering if anyone can help me find a sling day pack for hunting. I hunt from a cabin or vehicle and do not backpack into remote areas for extended hunts. I travel light because I am usually several miles from the cabin or my vehicle when I am hunting. I shoot right handed and like to keep my right shoulder free from a shoulder strap. I carry my rifle in a sling over my right shoulder when hiking so the pack can not be to wide or it interferes with carrying my rifle. The bulkiest item I want to carry in a pack is a down coat to put under my water proof jacket in case it gets really cold. I have purchased a number of day packs over the years. The one that worked best was called "Rigged and Ready Cross Over Pack". It had a removable orange cover you could put over the pack and it had a waist belt that helped keep the pack from sliding around. The only problem was it only came in one size and I couldn't fit the down coat into it. Since there have been so many advancements in hunting packs over the last few years I am hoping someone will know of a company that makes a sling day pack that will work for me. Thank You

I was in the market for the same type of pack about 2 years ago. Ended up with a Cabela's Stalker Sling Pack. Unfortunately, it looks like they might not make it anymore, or they are just sold out of them at the time. You may be able to find one on Ebay or in the classifieds though. I definitely like mine and feel that it is comfortable enough to shoot my bow, rifle, or muzzleloader while wearing. Like you, I really like not having a strap across my right shoulder since I do a lot of still hunting and walking. My only complaint is that if you have a lot of weight in the pack and carry it all day long, your shoulder that carries the strap will be pretty sore by the end of the day, though it's to be expected since only one shoulder is bearing all the load.

Dazzler

WKR
Which maxpedition do you recommend? The monsoon looks nice, but looks overbuilt for the weight it can handle.

wodje96

FNG
I use one for deer hunting and like it. I use an old go lite pack for situations like you're describing (<2lb) or I'll use my old kifaru siwash or SG EVO if I expect to pack meat out. I personally wouldn't go out that far with a sling, 10-15lb would start to suck for me in a sling after a few miles.

I considered one for my short hikes to my blinds and stands in Alabama.
I am watching this thread as I never found on but I ended up using an old
Cabelas fanny pack but it has shoulder straps. Pretty tight for a big old boy like me in some of those shooting houses so having something like a sling bag would work great.

Dazzler

WKR
I’m about to pick up a Tenzing 1140 on trade and give it a try. Anyone have experience with that pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamm88

WKR
Iv used a few maxpedition packs over the years, each time they had their ups and downs, when crawling, climbing they always swung and were awkward, they were bomb proof and designed good but functional wise they lacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
Might as well carry a purse. But seriously, I can't keep a rifle sling on my shoulder without holding on to it. Just get a good day pack.

tdot

WKR
I was considering using my Arcteryx sling for this sorta thing. But decided I would likely use either a messenger bag with a waist belt or a small day pack with seatbelt style shoulder straps so that it didnt interfere with shouldering my rifle.