Snakebit dog - vaccine PSA

sacklunch

WKR
My pointer got snakebit last night, diamondback. Not a baby, but not a monster at 2ft, so a bit lucky there. He had just gotten round one of the rattlesnake vaccine last week, very cheap shot at $25, and buys them more time after a bite. I’m sure a vet will jump on and can elaborate on that a bit.

But it’s a two shot series, so he hadn’t had the 2nd yet. Thanks fully our new vet is awesome, he called back at 11pm at night (dog went out to pee) and said he was rushing to the shop. Got him the antivenin started within an hour of the bit and as of this morning, swelling is down a bit, he was hungry as a horse (good sign) and he’s home to rest. Outlook is good and we think due to a combo of the starter does of the vaccine and the quick administration of the antivenin.

Just a PSA for snake training AND the vaccine…and to know which vets (hopefully yours) will respond in an emergency. The local “animal ER” told us 4-6 hours, I had a non-PG response to that I will not post on here.

Stay safe this summer…and your pups too!

Chuckybmd

WKR
Wow, what a relief you’re able to get the antivenin that quickly. I guess I didn’t realize that there was a vaccine option for snakebites. I think I’m going to see about it.

*zap*

WKR
The rattlesnake vaccine is only meant to protect against venom from the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. It provides no protection against bites from coral snakes, water moccasins, or the Mojave Rattlesnake.

CRJR45

WKR
The rattlesnake vaccine is only meant to protect against venom from the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. It provides no protection against bites from coral snakes, water moccasins, or the Mojave Rattlesnake.

Thank you , I was getting ready to look it up .

• Banned
OP
S

sacklunch

WKR

It’s not a catch all…it is advertised as rattlesnake, and I’ve never heard of it until we moved to diamondback country. Assuming it’s only available in areas with westerns.

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
I lost a dog 7 years ago to a rattlesnake bite. Got him in the lower stomach area. It turned to cancer and just wouldn't heal. Glad your pup is doing well. The shot is definitely worth getting.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

MJB

WKR
I had a Jagd with the vax that got a blind strike in the back paw, very little swelling I thought a dry bite. Next time for the yearly vax the injection site swelled to a baseball....... definitely not a dry bite.
When I hunt in Baja I take a cortisone shot with me and liquid Benadryl just in case so I can buy more time.

The bite site needs to be cleaned really well along with an antibiotic shot to prevent an infection

OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
I had a Jagd with the vax that got a blind strike in the back paw, very little swelling I thought a dry bite. Next time for the yearly vax the injection site swelled to a baseball....... definitely not a dry bite.
When I hunt in Baja I take a cortisone shot with me and liquid Benadryl just in case so I can buy more time.

The bite site needs to be cleaned really well along with an antibiotic shot to prevent an infection
Yes, our vet told us ahead of time, 10cc of liquid Benadryl immediately after a bite…he thinks that helped a lot too. And he’s home with a heavy dose of antibiotics as well…those fangs are full of untold rotting nastiness from prior prey

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
Always have liquid Benadryl and tablets handy. My Lab has had the snake training and gets her shot every year. Killed one in the garage a couple of weeks ago and one in the road in front of the house last week. After that snake training, she won't have anything to do with snakes. Has PTSD, post traumatic snake disorder.:)

OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
Always have liquid Benadryl and tablets handy. My Lab has had the snake training and gets her shot every year. Killed one in the garage a couple of weeks ago and one in the road in front of the house last week. After that snake training, she won't have anything to do with snakes. Has PTSD, post traumatic snake disorder.:)
My dog is super super skiddish around the area in back he got bit. I also did some at home poor man’s snake training with our other dog…let him wind the dead one and slammed the shovel and hit the atom when he got close…that’ll have to do till we can get them both to a class

Fatcamp

WKR
Where are you guys getting liquid Benadry? Your vet said IM? Any other instructions?

Our vet gave it but we had to ask and they ordered it, no rattlesnakes around here.

yfarm

WKR
There is no scientific evidence to support the use of the vaccine. There are a group of ER physicians/toxicologists and veterinarians that are trying to bring order to the chaos that is current bite treatment. They have a group on facebook called Snakebite Support I recommend you read the science based treatment protocols and the rationale why it works. Many ER docs and vets have zero training in the correct current treatment of viper bites. Specifically antivenin and elevation of the bite area with fluid support and pain control are the principles of treatment. Common venoms are hemotoxic and neurotoxic. Antibodies from a vaccine do nothing to counter the effects. Bite responses are not allergic and Benadryl has no role. Being told to use Benadryl or antibiotics in the absence of signs of infection highlights the practioners lack of knowlege of current treatment regimens. Again reference National Snakebite Support on fb, print out the protocols and show your er doc or vet.

Last edited:
OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
IM ASAP?

Any specific instructions? Thigh or close to the site?
It’s oral…from a kids Tylenol syringe.

I think we were told 10cc for a 80lb dog…double check that with your vet. The liquid is easier to get in their system, especially if bitten on the mouth and won’t open up fully for a pill due to pain, just slide in in their lip and tilt the head back