Snow Depth - When do Elk Retreat?

My buddy killed a 350” class bull during a late rifle hunt. He said the snow was up to the bulls belly and the elk were still up high. So guess you never know. I’ve also seen a 3”
Snow clear elk out of the high country

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
The good thing about snow is you can see tracks…get on knobs(but don’t skyline yourself) and glass for tracks across large areas. Figure out what elevation they’re at, start focusing your glassing on that elevation band. Cow elk move in herds, don’t spend time glassing/following single sets of tracks, likely moose or bull elk.

Elk are always hot. Unless it’s single digits, elk will still be in the shade in the middle of the day. Bulls will tolerate more snow depth than cows, if you’re finding bulls, look lower on the mountain.

My biggest advice is just spend the first two glassing sessions finding elk, don’t hunt elk that aren’t there. Look over big areas and find the elk, don’t make any big hikes until you have elk located.

Edit to add: find the wind-blown ridge tops that obviously have less snow than the surrounding area, that’s where they’ll feed if the snow is actually deep.

Awesome tips! Appreciate it very much, thank you!

Thank you for taking the time to post some incredible tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Biologist here. Summer range, transition range, and winter range have no particular elevational restrictions. The elk will be where conditions are such they can maintain a caloric surplus, or at worst avoid a deficit as best they can during winter. They can often be in ranges not preferred in response to hunting pressures. In highly migratory herds, you can see them fluctuate between two of those ranges during the same time period based on conditions. I have managed areas where winter range and summer range overlapped at high elevation based on aspect and exposure that kept large grassy mountainsides relatively snow free during the winter period.

Cow elk will be less tolerant of deep snow than bulls, and they will typically seek easier conditions when the energy they expend to acquire food through snow is greater than the energy they will get from that food. The depth that occurs varies based on the condition of snow, not simply depth. Iced over rotten snow of 2” is harder to graze in than 10” of loose powder.

Like previously mentioned, continue moving until you find fresh sign, and best of luck to you.

Amazing! Thank you so much, didn’t think of ice layers blocking grazing more than powder. Huge help, thank you!

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Holy smokes, I wasn’t getting notifications on my phone of replies!

So much great info here. Thank you all! Can’t wait to start getting out there and hunting.

The biologist basically told me to go to the area with least roads and hike through timber. So it doesn’t sound to me that there will be a lot of opportunity to glass. Biologist said there’s a lot of pressure on areas with roads from truck hunters, so I’m trying to balance getting away from roads with not making an impossible number of hikes with meat in my pack as I will be alone.

Are you guys typically doing a base camp and day hikes from there or backpacking and moving camp daily?

Along the western boundary with Idaho, the cows seem to hang near snowline. Crusty snow will move them down. I've seen the bulls in the river bottoms after the rut or the tops of the ridges in 3 ft of powder.

In sw its all snow. The bulls are typically above the cows until later in the season. Snow doesn't affect them much as it is usually powder. They do move readily with below zero temps. At -10 all you will see are single lines of tracks coming out of the mtns to the winter range and the ranches. The bulls come out last. If it warms up a little they will linger or move back up the hill somewhat.

What happens east of Bozeman is all prarie to me. I have no idea.

Great thread, I just spent 4 days in SW Montana hunting around 7k for my first Elk hunt. Saw a lot of sign but couldn't get on the Elk. Sounds like we should've found a higher area, I got a lot to learn

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted it typically takes several feet of snow if not more to move the elk out of the backcountry…..that being said all country is not the same and the big ole bulls will be last. if the country is such for them to live like mountain goats they will, living in areas with reduced snow, protection due to the steepness factor and isolation in difficult to access areas. I learned of 3 such places in Montana similar to this. Wish I had an iPhone decades ago before they were invented🤣 this was late November a 5 ft dump came in on top of ten feet way up high and had gotten into a good amount of sign the weekend before spotting this guy feeding in the cliffs. If you covering ground in a foot of snow competition can be limited and offer some great opportunities at a big ole bull or bachelor group just so what you signed up for and be prepared….good luck🤙 he is laying in the second photo and was feeding mid line left on the first and I was shooting from the last one…took two hrs to get in position as I well above on snowshoes in 5 ft of snow….I want to be young again at 50🤣

also, another story to relate to late season elk hunting. I had filled my tag opening day. Was deer hunting with my two friends who had elk tags. I spotted a beautiful 6pt bull cross canyon late in the day sunning himself. They went after him next day from above. They drove around chained up tried walking down in 5 ft of snow to him. 3 Amish hunters with horses camped next to us went from below and road in 3 miles. I watched things unfold from across the canyon. My guys due to snow depth never made it in time. Watched the Amish guys dump two small bulls that moved in overnight due to snow depth a big group congregated in a brush field. On the way to those bulls another bull stepped out and they got it as well. That night my friends show up never saw an elk but heard the shoot fest. The Amish guys chose an easier way in not fighting the snow depth and had shooting out to 300 yds. My friends were stuck in waste deep snow at times and only achieved a lot of sweat loss🤣 the photo of the Amish guys coming out with their horses loaded with 3 bulls is etched in my mind🤙🤙🤙 just like archery things can happen super quick in the late season due to snow depth.💯

Attachments

• 990EF441-DD13-4F9F-B760-836C61DB37CE.jpeg
    990EF441-DD13-4F9F-B760-836C61DB37CE.jpeg
    560 KB · Views: 108
  • A715CC0A-7DBE-4762-8040-FB89259DC055.jpeg
    A715CC0A-7DBE-4762-8040-FB89259DC055.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 110
  • EA998ECD-5E3F-4EA6-B760-215EB92F7F43.jpeg
    EA998ECD-5E3F-4EA6-B760-215EB92F7F43.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

yfarm

WKR
Was hunting in NW Wyoming 3 weeks ago, elk were high, literally saw bulls on cliffs at 11k, normal sheep habitat. Followed a bull and cow up over the top across open snowfields at 12k.

cnelk

WKR
These pics were sent to me a few years ago - Pics were taken by a snowmobiler - from the Steamboat area.

This bull got caught in a a heavy snow. Stayed under a treewell and never made it out.

His antlers were gathered in the spring

DSC02240.jpg
DSC02247.jpg
DSC02250.jpg

Sled

WKR
Elk around my area tend to stay put when they get nickled and dimed by small storms that have time to consolidate. A big storm or two that restricts their movement will have them moving lower. They still need food but will resort to eating aspen bark if their preferred source is buried. In light snow years the winter grounds are nearly empty.

Poser

WKR
These pics were sent to me a few years ago - Pics were taken by a snowmobiler - from the Steamboat area.

This bull got caught in a a heavy snow. Stayed under a treewell and never made it out.

His antlers were gathered in the spring

View attachment 468669
View attachment 468670
View attachment 468671

Had a bull at a local ski area do something similar. He posted up in early December and would not migrate out. They closed the ski runs that were immediately around him and even out a hay bale out for him after a few weeks of just standing there. Finally found a pack of coyotes eating him one morning.

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Headed out on my first elk hunt. It’s for cows in Montana. I’ve been watching the snow depth on google earth pro overlays. I haven’t been able to get an answer on where people think they are at this time of year, which seems to be in part due to it depends on food and snow levels.

So far in the area, the deepest looks like maybe 18” on top of mountains in the area in the 8-9k mark. Randy Newberg said he considers “transition” range to be 6-9 feet, so I’m thinking I should be e scouting in that 6-8 k range where it looks like the snow depth is in single digit inches at the max. Or will that depth of snow have pushed the elk and deer out as well?

This is my first year hunting and it’s extremely intimidating to be flying across country with no idea what I’m doing, going solo I have a cow elk and doe mule deer tag. I’ve spent hundreds of hours on YouTube and forums trying to teach myself by all your guys’ awesome help. I appreciate all you do for people who know nothing like me! I’ve been putting this off for 20 years hoping I’d meet someone to show me the ropes, currently stationed in Louisiana so it’s a bit of a big investment to make this trip. Again, thank you all!

Just be safe and patient. Don’t let the frantic research and prep phase make you spook deer or get into trouble going too high.

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Just be safe and patient. Don’t let the frantic research and prep phase make you spook deer or get into trouble going too high.

Good point, can’t eat anything that I shoot if I end up freezing out there!

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Elk around my area tend to stay put when they get nickled and dimed by small storms that have time to consolidate. A big storm or two that restricts their movement will have them moving lower. They still need food but will resort to eating aspen bark if their preferred source is buried. In light snow years the winter grounds are nearly empty.

That makes sense, the snow there came from first storm of the season so I could see your point that it may not have even budged them as it was first taste of winter

Thanks!

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Was hunting in NW Wyoming 3 weeks ago, elk were high, literally saw bulls on cliffs at 11k, normal sheep habitat. Followed a bull and cow up over the top across open snowfields at 12k.

Wow, did you get a glimpse of them through your glass before hiking up there or did you have to climb up that high blindly?

Thanks!

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Great thread, I just spent 4 days in SW Montana hunting around 7k for my first Elk hunt. Saw a lot of sign but couldn't get on the Elk. Sounds like we should've found a higher area, I got a lot to learn

You and me both, brotha

yfarm

WKR
Wow, did you get a glimpse of them through your glass before hiking up there or did you have to climb up that high blindly?

Thanks!

Spotted them and followed their tracks up and over hoping to get close enough for a shot. Outfitter/Guide said he had never been outclimbed by a hunter. Was my son who runs marathons to train for mountain elk hunts. I stayed below with the horses and watched. Guide got back down to the horses, laid down in the snow with leg muscle spasms.