Montana snow?

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone been gun hunting elk in Montana recently? We are headed that way tomorrow, so I was just curious about the snow situation. Seems like it's been on the warm side and mostly dry? We are heading to 216 around Philipsburg, roughly 6500-7500 feet. Any insight on snow amounts would be much appreciated!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven’t hunted Pburg, but relatively close and most of the snow is gone save a little on north facing slopes. We could use a fresh 3-5” of snow, but it’s not coming.

What little snow is left is very crunchy until later in the day.

OP
Jbenson

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate it! We'll actually be west of Pburg a ways, probably mostly hunting the northern half of 216. Was just curious what elevations we should start looking at in relation to snow, but sounds like they might be in ALL of the elevations! I 🤣

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup. We (well much of the state) got a huge dump early 12-24" (we got over 12" in town!) but between warmer temps, rain and wind and very little additional snow, most of its' gone.

I thought it was going to be a repeat of last year where we stayed cold and added some additional snow to an early dump (rifle opener) and the elk definitely were getting pushed out (I was on snowshoes twice last year!!!!) and heading for winter range. Not this year.

skeptic

FNG
I thought it was going to be a repeat of last year where we stayed cold and added some additional snow to an early dump (rifle opener) and the elk definitely were getting pushed out (I was on snowshoes twice last year!!!!) and heading for winter range. Not this year.
True. What a difference from last year. I went for a hike today and was in a T-shirt. Would have been a great year to have a Mountain Goat tag.

I am east of there. At 6500-7500 there is 4-5 " of wet snow on the north sides. North side roads are glaze ice. Can be very scary on the hills or out sloping roads. Suggest chains.

Last week we were at 7800 in 6" of snow that had been rained on for two days and froze solid. It wasn't crunchy but was solid ice. It was interesting travel on corks.

Wrench

WKR
I was north west of you 80 miles and we had about 6" at 4500 as of Saturday.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
True. What a difference from last year. I went for a hike today and was in a T-shirt. Would have been a great year to have a Mountain Goat tag.

True that!

Forecast is for a little snow Wednesday evening into Thursday morning (west-central Montana anyways)- would certainly help.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
El Nino. Which is Spanish for The Nino.

I heard that this last last summer, but when it dumped 14" of snow in town mid-October (and dropped into the single digits)- I figured they were full of $hit; now........ not so much :ROFLMAO: