Snow Fences

Where is the ideal location to put up a snow fence to minimize drifting in the areas in red? Black arrow is north, and the black line is the west boundary of the property. Driveway faces NW, and the prevailing winds are W/NW but tend to swirl due to the lack of trees. The drift in the driveway gets deeper as you get closer to the garage doors.

WCB

WKR
If your driveway is pointing NW...best place for the front of your garage is in the middle of your driveway...I would say a fence (or two staggered slightly running straight north south just to the left of your driveway maybe 20ft if possible. then the same next to your house. problem is as you are aware it will still blow straight down your driveway if NNW

OP
ndbwhunter
If your driveway is pointing NW...best place for the front of your garage is in the middle of your driveway...I would say a fence (or two staggered slightly running straight north south just to the left of your driveway maybe 20ft if possible. then the same next to your house. problem is as you are aware it will still blow straight down your driveway if NNW

View attachment 131126

Thanks for the reply. I had originally thought about running one length of fence parallel to the driveway about 80-100 feet away. Neighbors won't mind if I go on their property, so I could always extend them out a little further to the west. I'm pretty much screwed with a NNW wind, but I just don't understand why it drifts where it does when the wind is hitting straight on like that. The wind seems to swirl constantly up there so it's kind of a guessing game.

OP
ndbwhunter
Would something like this do any good? There is a large shelter belt about 250 yards to the west that seems to make the wind swirl around and come in more from the west. The drift in the driveway is always deeper closer to the garages and gets deeper as you go from left to right.

WCB

WKR
Would something like this do any good? There is a large shelter belt about 250 yards to the west that seems to make the wind swirl around and come in more from the west. The drift in the driveway is always deeper closer to the garages and gets deeper as you go from left to right.

View attachment 131129
That would work...Kinda what I was thinking just didn't realize the neighbor would let you cross his line. It may take a year or so to figure out what distance to put them for best results.

My house is positioned facing just like yours but with more of a straight north wind being prevalent and get the same drifts in the same spots just deeper on west side of the driveway towards the garage. The wind hits the house/garage and bounces the snow out away and it settles about 10-15ft out into the driveway.

OP
ndbwhunter
That would work...Kinda what I was thinking just didn't realize the neighbor would let you cross his line. It may take a year or so to figure out what distance to put them for best results.

My house is positioned facing just like yours but with more of a straight north wind being prevalent and get the same drifts in the same spots just deeper on west side of the driveway towards the garage. The wind hits the house/garage and bounces the snow out away and it settles about 10-15ft out into the driveway.

That is exactly what happens to mine. This may be a lost cause, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to try. Thanks for the advice.

For aesthetics and general convenience I would build right down the property line and then a short dog leg to the drive approach. See how that does and add a lateral off of it as needed. That will give a fence as well as provide a similar level of protection.

Personally, I wouldn't build on my neighbor's property. When we moved to a few acres out of town (looks similar to your situation) I had a neighbor that was super, over-the-top, friendly. He would have been fine with us cutting across his place with utilities but I stayed in the right of way. Later I built a shop that, as it turns out, his wife hated and things went downhill. They never said anything to me but complained to everyone else. I sure am glad I don't have anything on his place. All I'm saying is things can change--better safe than sorry. You know they say good fences make good neighbors...

What you are dealing with is the deposits the wind eddies are dropping. Just like in a river, the wind creates eddies. look at what the eddies are doing by a river near you and try an incorporated that into your plans.
The wind is hitting the front of the house and the snow drops to get over the house, the backside of the house is just like how a cornice forms. deposition. Your best bet might be a bunch of wind block trees out by the road.