SO 8 man tipi half nest..anyone use it...Thoughts please!

I have a new SO 8 man tipi and looking at purchasing a 1/2 nest for it. They are not cheap so I wanted to see if anyone has one and how they like it.
does it make the tipi more or less usable? How many will it sleep within the inner tent? Will a small cot work. Has anyone tried a LBO inner nest in one. Would it work?
I would really appreciate your input and experience. If anyone has one and wants to part with it I would be interested.
Many thanks
Jeff

I have an 8 man SO and a half liner. I also have a wide sheet of tyvek that I've cut into a 1/2 circle floor (a little less than half floor for sleeping/clothing area, leaving the other half for stove, wood, gear, etc.). Sometimes we take the 1/2 floor, sometimes we just take strips to put our bags on. I've never considered the nest actually, so I guess I'd ask what do you think you want it for? I can't really see a need for it in fall/winter - and I haven't used mine in the spring/summer yet. I could see if you think you were in a particular venomous snake area or really ticky area? I think with some permethrin spray you could probably pretty effectively bug treat it. I still have various backpacking and base camp tents so I really don't see myself using the tipi for say a summer canoe trip or a summer backpack trip - so I've never really considered paying the money for the nest. That said I'm sure there are people buying and using and enjoying the nests.

You might just want to run it as is for a while and then decide if you think you still want/need the nest?

OP
Laughingmallard
Good advise. I live in Oregon and we have lots of Mosquitoes. Not as bad in the fall but they are still there.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks
Jeff

j-bow

Lil-Rokslider
I had John at Bearpaw make a full nest for mine. Works out great in the summer ,when bugs are around.
We use 2, 1/2 liners during elk season. Lose a little space with the sag, but it’s worth it to stay dry from condensation. We sleep 4 comfortably with liners.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
From a user of 4,6,8, and 12 man tipis in the past, you will feel cramped with four people in a 6 man.
The 6 will be lighter and easier on you and your son, but I like the roominess of the 8 man even for two people.
One of my complaints with the 4 and 6 man was my height, I couldn't really stand up in one and after having been in an 8 where I could, it was hard to go back.
The 6 will probably do fine while the little one is little, but as they get bigger, more space will be taken up.
Are any of the trips with you and your son backpacking? Weight and packed size are different between the two as well.
I love the Sawtooth for two people and plenty of gear, but it would be hard to get two more in there, I have done it with a 3 year old and a one year old, but won't be able to much longer.
Good luck in your quest, it is a fun one indeed.

I have a 8man and nest. My wife won’t do the tipi floorless so it was our compromise. I spike camp with the tipi come hunting season so I run it floorless and nested equally. Very different from each other.
So size wise sleeping in the nest I would say 3 adults max. We sleep both my wife and I and our 2 boys. We should be able to manage that space wise for a while. They are 6 and 9 and my wife and I are 6’ each.
Floorless with a stove 3 is super comfy and 4 is manageable.
You could def fit a cot or 2 in the nest.
Setting up the nest is a pain imo. I bought mini carabiners to clip into.
The whole thing space to trail weight ratio when backpacking with 2 kids and a dog is hard to beat. Dog can sleep on the floorless side, I’ll carry stove if weather is cold.
Hit me up with any other questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a 8man and nest. My wife won’t do the tipi floorless so it was our compromise. I spike camp with the tipi come hunting season so I run it floorless and nested equally. Very different from each other.
So size wise sleeping in the nest I would say 3 adults max. We sleep both my wife and I and our 2 boys. We should be able to manage that space wise for a while. They are 6 and 9 and my wife and I are 6’ each.
Floorless with a stove 3 is super comfy and 4 is manageable.
You could def fit a cot or 2 in the nest.
Setting up the nest is a pain imo. I bought mini carabiners to clip into.
The whole thing space to trail weight ratio when backpacking with 2 kids and a dog is hard to beat. Dog can sleep on the floorless side, I’ll carry stove if weather is cold.
Hit me up with any other questions.

I would add my thoughts, but he covered my thoughts lol! Nest for wife and two kids in warm weather, I use if floorless with a liner in hunting season.