SO DST as Primary Shelter

Drenalin

WKR
I am looking at potentially running a Seek Outside DST as my shelter across all seasons. I would also be using as a quick pitch option for sitting through rain/snow and for glassing. Would be using this tarp September through November in TN (so temps could be anywhere from 60s to 20s with rain or snow possible later) as well as October in CO. I would also be running a Klymit insulated pad and an EE Enigma synthetic quilt. I have no intention of packing a stove, but even without that would a shelter with an annex/door make more sense as a one-and-done option? Do you other flat tarp users have issues with weather getting in on you in colder seasons?

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Very doable as a primary shelter. I used one for a week on the Colorado Trail and it worked fine. I had lots of rain and some hail on that trip. I used the diamond pitch most often.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have a DST and have used it as my only shelter into the fall in Montana and the east. Like any flat tarp, you can make it work for 4 seasons and I have had mine in cold conditions, but it requires more careful site and pitch selection and more attention to your bag/quilt, ground cloth, etc. I love a good tarp pitch, but at some point when it gets cold enough, the winds are blowing and there is snow, for me it is more efficient and comfortable to be fully enclosed in a tent (or floorless with a stove). It keeps the wind off you and even without a stove, a tent holds more heat than a tarp. I have a fair bit of experience under a SuperTarp too and, though I owned and usually packed in an annex, I rarely set it up and didn't find that it added much to the weather-worthiness of the tarp (which was great--it was deep enough that you can stay out of the weather unless you set it up with the wind blowing straight in the open end). So to answer your question--do doubt it can be done and you may want to go that way but for me at some point other shelters are more comfortable and efficient (efficient because I need less bag, ground cloth, bivy and care to keep everything dry).

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Some great pitch options in this thread. It's a great tarp - I don't use it as my primary, but it's always in my pack for glassing or emergencies.
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/so-dst-tarp-pitches.73736/

Austinphps, thanks for the link to this tread. Would have missed it otherwise. Agreed. I love this tarp, but have used it for spike camps, cook shelter, rain shelter rather than my primary. All the guyouts + the center guyout give you a ton of options. It's almost always in my pack.

Another option to consider, if you want a size other than 10x10: Cooke Custom Sewing has been making their Tundra Tarp basically forever. Very similar design, and the quality of CCS and SO are at par.

Austinphps, thanks for the link to this tread. Would have missed it otherwise. Agreed. I love this tarp, but have used it for spike camps, cook shelter, rain shelter rather than my primary. All the guyouts + the center guyout give you a ton of options. It's almost always in my pack.

Another option to consider, if you want a size other than 10x10: Cooke Custom Sewing has been making their Tundra Tarp basically forever. Very similar design, and the quality of CCS and SO are at par.

Agree with the CCS - my dad has one; great quality

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ve used the DST all over Colorado and love it. However, once the snow starts to fly it becomes very hard to enjoy it. At that point I switch to a hot tent option.

Reactions: pew

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Honestly for what you're talking about I'd take a hard look at the Silex and the DST.

The DST is definitely more versatile. You can A frame it, lean-to it, diamond pitch it, I've used one as a flying awning on my 8 person.

But as a dedicated tarp shelter, the Silex has it beat. You get better rain and wind protection, and they weigh about the same and the cost difference isn't huge. You can still use the Silex as an emergency shelter or a glassing shelter as well.

One other thing I'll note....I'm from TN and with either of these in summer you'll want a nest or a bug bivy. Ticks are no fun. The Silex has a dedicated nest, the DST would need a bivy.

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
Honestly for what you're talking about I'd take a hard look at the Silex and the DST.

The DST is definitely more versatile. You can A frame it, lean-to it, diamond pitch it, I've used one as a flying awning on my 8 person.

But as a dedicated tarp shelter, the Silex has it beat. You get better rain and wind protection, and they weigh about the same and the cost difference isn't huge. You can still use the Silex as an emergency shelter or a glassing shelter as well.

One other thing I'll note....I'm from TN and with either of these in summer you'll want a nest or a bug bivy. Ticks are no fun. The Silex has a dedicated nest, the DST would need a bivy.
Thanks for the input, I'll give the Silex some thought. I've considered the possibility of needing to run a bivy in some situations if I go with the DST. But summer trips would most likely involve the wife and kids, and a fully enclosed tent. There's some serious bug-phobia in my house between the wife and my four year old daughter.

Thanks for the input, I'll give the Silex some thought. I've considered the possibility of needing to run a bivy in some situations if I go with the DST. But summer trips would most likely involve the wife and kids, and a fully enclosed tent. There's some serious bug-phobia in my house between the wife and my four year old daughter.
Did you buy a DST?

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
Did you buy a DST?
I did, but ended up selling it and buying a Silex. I’m taking the Silex on a camping trip next weekend for its maiden voyage. The DST is awesome, but the Silex is less weight and more weather protection.

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
good deal. Post up some pictures when you set it up
I set it up in the yard to seam seal it; here are some pics. This is the olive color.

Attachments

• 6991BBA7-02A4-4B4A-BEFE-8814BD1AD70B.jpeg
    6991BBA7-02A4-4B4A-BEFE-8814BD1AD70B.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 50
  • A8F98989-92A0-43CE-9EE7-723FDFBF7EB3.jpeg
    A8F98989-92A0-43CE-9EE7-723FDFBF7EB3.jpeg
    548.2 KB · Views: 51

Phaseolus

WKR
I bought an Eolus recently and I really like it, there’s better weather coverage than my DST for about the same weight. I went into the Seek shop this spring to buy a Silex but there was an Eolus second available. Did I mention I really like it?