So I got a smoker

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
I went way too far down the rabbit hole on this one... Started with a Traeger, then a Lone Star Grillz offset, now designed and fabbing my own smoker. I've always loved cooking and brisket and get a lot of satisfaction from being able to produce restaurant quality meals. Originally from Texas and having eaten at Franklin's BBQ that is where I started... https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Bar...aaron+franklin+bbq+book&qid=1706720252&sr=8-4

This temp probe setup is awesome for managing fire temps and monitoring meat temps for the stall and doneness.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
I don’t know why it’s hard to make a reliable thermometer, but apparently it must be. The only sure thing in this world is your thermometer will go bad - treat it gently, only hand wash the probe - it’s usually the probe that craps out. Anything made by Thermoworks seems to be very good and used by bbq guys and restaurants.

Costco will get some fantastic deals on thermoworks combo packs for $39 - I missed them this past summer and now wish I grabbed 4 of them.

If something is important I’ll use two probes - more than once a probe has gone bad and something got over cooked.

Nobody will tell you this, but probes are essentially interchangeable between brands. There are two different size pugs, but after using a half dozen different brands, they all are calibrated the same. I have 6 individual controllers that are up to ten years old - I just replace the probe for $20 when one goes to crap.

A smoker is also great for holding foods at a low temp - like a warming drawer. When having a bbq I finish as many things as possible before hand, then pan and stack them in the smoker.

I like the cheap taylor digital probes for like $15, but my treager has a built in probe and wi fi so I just use the Treager app most of the time I can control the temp of the smoker from work if I want to.

Now my digital display on the grill is going out so the app is the best way to start it up and shut it down anyway.

Sbird2019

FNG
GF decided I needed a smoker for Christmas, it arrived the other day.
Took 2 guys to carry it in.
Trager, has wifi, uses pellets. I have no idea how to use this thing :p. While I enjoy BBQ and good smoked meats, how often do you all with smokers use them?
I use mine as much as I can. Essentially everything that can go in the oven, I put it in the smoker for a little different flavor profile /experience. Enchiladas, pizzas, fish, casserole, etc. you name it! You can change the smoke Levels for more or less smoke flavor

As much as people have enjoyed the BBQ I’ve made on my smoker, to date, that crowd favorites have been cinnamon rolls and bread pudding

jedi7

FNG
I use the Smokai and it works great for me. I don't have the space for a bbq and smoker and didn't want to do away with the propane grill. The smokai can fill up a regular grill and is good for smoking for less than 2-2.5 hours but not good for long smokes for brisket or pulled pork since the temperature is controlled by the grill. I got the itch to try pulled pork though since they were $8 off at costco so I'm going to run a smoke on the brisket for a couple hours and then sous vide it for 24-36 (not sure which recipe I'm going with yet). Excited to see how it comes out

OP
T

tony

WKR
Dad gave me a 4 pound pork shoulder or butt? Pulled pork meat is all I know :D

Tips, tricks, how toos?

bullnose

FNG
I've had a pit barrel for about 6 years now. I'm looking to add a RecTec in the next year. As someone else said, a whole smoked back strap is about as close to perfection as you can get.