So I got a smoker

OP
T

tony

WKR
When and where would I use a meat thermometer ?
I see some guides say cook at 300 for 6 hours for example, nothing really mentions the thermometer ?
The smoker came with one. It mentions to calibrate in ice water. Anyone do this, and is it each time?

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Depends on what you're smoking. Like if you're cooking a brisket at 275, you'll use a thermometer to monitor meat temps. I usually wrap at 165. The brisket is done when it hits 200.

SWOHTR

WKR
When and where would I use a meat thermometer ?
I see some guides say cook at 300 for 6 hours for example, nothing really mentions the thermometer ?
The smoker came with one. It mentions to calibrate in ice water. Anyone do this, and is it each time?
2 things:

1. Get an actual probe thermometer to monitor internal meat temp.

2. The thermometer on the grill lid is for monitoring “dome temp” or chamber temp. Don’t attempt to stick it into the meat.

jmez

WKR
You will, or should, use a meat thermometer on everything you smoke. There are no hard and fast time rules when smoking. Internal temp of the meat is how you know when done.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Agross

WKR
My smoker came with two separate meat probes that will display the temp readings . I have compared them with a separate one we had purchased a while back and they were all very consistent with one another. I didn’t have to calibrate mine. They are handy so u know when to wrap or pull certain meats.

SWOHTR

WKR
You will, or should, use a meat thermometer on everything you smoke. There are no hard and fast time rules when smoking. Internal temp of the meat is how you know when done.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
This. The fallacy of “smoke for x hours” is too widespread. Temp tells you when it’s done, not time.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Add altitude and non-humid environment to the equation, and you can just throw away all the BBQ and smoking times and recommendations etc that are in recipes. It's a totally different animal smoking stuff here in CO. But ya, you need a good meat probe thermometer to monitor temps. You can even get blue tooth ones so the info is right on your phone.

OP
T

tony

WKR
This thermometer plugs into the outside of the smoker and reads through the app I believe.
Is this fine to use or would you all recommend something else?

So one meat thermometer and one grill temp thermometer? If so, that works fine.

Or you could get the MEATER probes and have an all in one wireless thermometer.

69385c4badd8162ea4af1f5222cfd425.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
T

tony

WKR
Made ribs a few weeks back using the Traeger “3-2-1” recipe. Not very smoky, but otherwise turned well.
Prep
IMG_0717.jpeg
3 hours
IMG_0718.jpeg
Done
IMG_0720.jpeg
The smoker didn’t make a lot of smoke at all. I wasn’t expecting smoke like a house fire. But none came out the stack other than when I fired it up. Definitely could smell it though.
Maybe due to the weather? Damp and light rains that day.

Does yours have the smoke setting?

If I want added smokiness to something, I'll start it out on the smoke setting for 30-45mins then crank up the heat. Meats stop taking smoke after a certain temp so I try to hit it smoke heavy before 200°

The dampness could play a part.
Be sure and examine the ash cup or burner or whatever it's called when you go to vacuum it out. If there's partially burner pellets in there, could be pellets that were too damp.

I had that problem of damp pellets once. The smoker wasn't burning effectively and temps weren't getting close to where they were set.

Edit to add: after I got the damp pellets out of mine and cleaned the ash cup very well, upon start up its comical how much smoke comes out. Picture added is how much smoke comes out for the first few minutes when I fire it up.

Pro tips:
Leave your pellet hopper almost empty until you're ready to cook.
Store your pellets in a dry container that's going to keep moisture out.
Certain meats take smoke flavor better for certain types of wood, i.e. apple wood for pork.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240130-155126_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240130-155126_Gallery.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 13
Its a meat probe. Your digital display will display the oven temp thats built in.

I didnt read through all 7 pages but here's my take:
Overall I like my Treager for cooking bigger meals, like say you have some people over for dinner, you can fit a lot of chicken and veggies on there (we have the 980 or whatever), and it does a good job with that kind of stuff, but very dissapointed in its smoking and grilling capabilities. Its an outdoor oven not a smoker or a grill. I found I have to add a smoke tube if I want to smoke and then you have to prop the door open a little or the smoke tube goes out. I've done a few pork shoulders in it and you dont get the bark like you would with using an offset or even a weber kettle. And forget trying to sear a steak on it. Maybe if you take the baffle out, but at that point I'll just wheel the gas grill out for that.

Wheels

WKR
Made ribs a few weeks back using the Traeger “3-2-1” recipe. Not very smoky, but otherwise turned well.
Prep
View attachment 665278
3 hours
View attachment 665280
Done
View attachment 665281
The smoker didn’t make a lot of smoke at all. I wasn’t expecting smoke like a house fire. But none came out the stack other than when I fired it up. Definitely could smell it though.
Maybe due to the weather? Damp and light rains that day.
Pellet smokers burn clean so don’t produce a lot of visible smoke, but they are making smoke. I’ll sometimes use a smoke tube to give it more smoke. It just sits on the rack with pellets in it that you light prior to starting your smoker.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Yeah, if you want more smoke, invest in one of the A-MAZE-N products, either the tube or the maze. If you go with the maze style, make sure you get the one for pellets. It is different than the one that burns sawdust. I have both and prefer the pellet version. They are perfect for smoking cheese as they do not put out a lot of heat. My fridge smoker will stay at about 75-80 degrees just using the maze, perfection.

OP
T

tony

WKR
I have the Trager pro 575, no super smoke. I did read about those tubes you can light off and toss in.
Being my first time, no ash nor grease in the smoker or can.
I bought a bucket with seal to put the pellets in. So, no pellets in the smoker til I was ready to use it.
@sbaker0029 mine never made that kind of smoke other than when I first lit it. I could smell the smoke and it was on my shirt whenever I went into the house, along with that burn you get in your eyes from a campfire.

I will read through you guys tips for sure.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Or you could get the MEATER probes and have an all in one wireless thermometer.

69385c4badd8162ea4af1f5222cfd425.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm not real happy with mine I got for Christmas. Maybe I need to give it a little time before I say, what a POS.

OP
T

tony

WKR
I was looking at those temp probes.
Any other recommendations that are not $100.00?

I have the Trager pro 575, no super smoke. I did read about those tubes you can light off and toss in.
Being my first time, no ash nor grease in the smoker or can.
I bought a bucket with seal to put the pellets in. So, no pellets in the smoker til I was ready to use it.
@sbaker0029 mine never made that kind of smoke other than when I first lit it. I could smell the smoke and it was on my shirt whenever I went into the house, along with that burn you get in your eyes from a campfire.

I will read through you guys tips for sure.

Definitely a good purchase getting a bucket with a seal to store the pellets in.

Mine does that smoke for about the first 10mins of starting and about half that if I leave it on the smoke.

Definitely try a smoke tube if you're looking for that extra smoke.