So I got a smoker

I had an old Masterbuilt propane job that was such a pain it got used maybe twice a year.
The Wife bought me a Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker for my birthday last year to replace it & it's so much easier, I probably use it at least weekly now.
I've been making summer sausage like there's no tomorrow (120lb at last count), Christmas dinners, steaks, roasts, burgers, you name it. It's pretty much just as convenient as using the kitchen oven.

FYI smoked frozen pizza is awesome!

View attachment 640354
View attachment 640355
View attachment 640357
View attachment 640356
View attachment 640358
View attachment 640360
I think this is the most food jealous I've ever been at someone 🤣

Even for the stuff I would normally grill (steaks, burgers) I put them in the smoker first, and then finish on the grill. Use the smoker more than I thought I would. Weekly I'd bet.

I never get tired of hearing "this is the best steak I've ever had."

Even for the stuff I would normally grill (steaks, burgers) I put them in the smoker first, and then finish on the grill. Use the smoker more than I thought I would. Weekly I'd bet.

Quick highjack to that point…we bought a smoker years back and after I started getting better at cooking we started inviting people over to eat. Just like you said, it really feels good to have sincere complements about the food you put in effort to prepare. Then it hit me one day how many times I just get up from the table and never say a word to my wife about the meal she prepared. She spent no telling how long working on dinner and I couldn’t take two seconds to acknowledge her effort.

I see some of you talking about having to put the temperature probe thru the door, I have a Blaz’n Grill Works smoker and they put a meat probe access door in theirs. You could modify yours very easy like theirs.

Attachments

• IMG_3117.jpeg
    IMG_3117.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3118.jpeg
    IMG_3118.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 16

This guy knows what’s up.

Season a hunk of backstrap, throw it in the smoker at 230 until it hits 115, then toss it on the hot grill to get a sear and make its way up to your desired temp.

Best reverse sear of your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see some of you talking about having to put the temperature probe thru the door, I have a Blaz’n Grill Works smoker and they put a meat probe access door in theirs. You could modify yours very easy like theirs.
Oh, now that's nifty.
Easy mod too (runs off to grab drill.....)

I'm hoping for a Reqtec for Christmas, already have visions of the smoked sausage, dried sausage and jerky, summer sausage, all sorts of goodies. Gonna be disappointed if I don't get one. Lol
Absolutely Love my Reqtec, wish it smoked more at higher temperatures but bought a smoke tube that I use at higher temps.

Don’t forget the smoker can also be used as a warmer when turned way down - for thanksgiving or big bbq’s anything that can be made earlier in the day and put in disposable aluminum trays covered in foil go in the smoker to hold temp.

The temp probs can be used remotely. You can now be 3 states away and know what the internal temp of your meat it as well as set alarms and such.
Well no offense, but me being a pretty practical guy, that sounds like the most useless feature i could imagine. Not to mention, probably the first thing to break on that smoker.

Well no offense, but me being a pretty practical guy, that sounds like the most useless feature i could imagine. Not to mention, probably the first thing to break on that smoker.

I’ve wondered about the cybersecurity of this feature too. Now you have a device that produces fire located near your house and can be controlled by someone with (hacked) access to your wifi.

lumberjack pellets

I also occasionally add some of my own lump wood just above the pellet burn pot. Adds a little extra smoky goodness.

My Christmas present was a pellet smoker this year as well. I've been researching for over a year when my old Masterbuilt died. I settled on a Camp Chef Woodwind 24 with wifi, ash cleanout door, pellet hopper cleanout door, and there is a lever to slide a plate out of the way to get direct flame access for searing. Seems to be the one with the most useful features.

They had a sale black friday so it's already arrived and I put it together and seasoned it. Now the wife has asked me to wait until Christmas to actually use it. I will end up using it 3-4x per week I imagine as it will likely replace my gas grill. My first cook will be a tri-tip smoked to a IT of 120 and then seared on the outside.

My smoker does not have one. I have to admit I do see the application of t as useful tho. Having a good alarm set during the night is really useful for smoking big cuts like a brisket while you sleep. Between able to monitor the temp allows for smoking big cuts to be done more frequently because you do not need to necessarily be there to monitor it.

Absolutely Love my Reqtec, wish it smoked more at higher temperatures but bought a smoke tube that I use at higher temps.
Buddy has a bullseye he brings to camp, looks like Snoop Dog cracked a window when he opens it up. Is this a larger model you have? I put the Road Warrior on my wish list but I'll switch it to the bullseye if some other models don't smoke enough.

If you want a couple good books on the subject, I would suggest Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas and Franklin Barbecue - A Meat Smoking Manifesto by Aaron Franklin and Jordan Mackay. Both are a wealth of knowledge.

Back