So, who is running a Seekins Havak?

Strife21

FNG
I just bought a Seekins PH2 Hunter .308. I am coming from a few Winchester Model 70's so sorry if these questions sound a bit stupid.

First I noticed when I insert a empty magazine in with some force (not insane force or anything) it occasionally will not drop when I press the Mag release button, a light nudge or shake and it will release. If I do it fairly gently or pull down on it after I insert, there is no issue. Has this happened to anyone else, it seems to be happening less and less as I break it in.

When inserting the bolt I have to press the bolt release button looking at the bolt itself it appears that is the only way for it to clear and drop into the horizontal groove on the bolt. I assume this is normal? My model 70 Controlled Feed, I can just slide the bolt right in.

I never had a rifle with the QD mounts. Does anyone recommend a good hunting sling (non-tactical) for the rifle that has the QD system that will work with the rifle?

Finally if taking the action out for whatever reason, If you are putting it back together is it recommended to snug the screws lightly with the action down on the table and then to stand the rifle up on its butt stock and then tap the butt of the gun on the carpet to make sure the action is settled and then tighten to torque while its standing. Or would it be better to just tighten the everything to torque while action is laying upside down against the table? (The standing up thing was recommended to me by a few people for some other rifles)

When inserting the bolt I have to press the bolt release button looking at the bolt itself it appears that is the only way for it to clear and drop into the horizontal groove on the bolt. I assume this is normal? My model 70 Controlled Feed, I can just slide the bolt right in.
This is normal on a lot of rifles

I just bought a Seekins PH2 Hunter .308. I am coming from a few Winchester Model 70's so sorry if these questions sound a bit stupid.

First I noticed when I insert a empty magazine in with some force (not insane force or anything) it occasionally will not drop when I press the Mag release button, a light nudge or shake and it will release. If I do it fairly gently or pull down on it after I insert, there is no issue. Has this happened to anyone else, it seems to be happening less and less as I break it in.

I never had a rifle with the QD mounts. Does anyone recommend a good hunting sling (non-tactical) for the rifle that has the QD system that will work with the rifle?

Finally if taking the action out for whatever reason, If you are putting it back together is it recommended to snug the screws lightly with the action down on the table and then to stand the rifle up on its butt stock and then tap the butt of the gun on the carpet to make sure the action is settled and then tighten to torque while its standing. Or would it be better to just tighten the everything to torque while action is laying upside down against the table? (The standing up thing was recommended to me by a few people for some other rifles)

Magazine thing seems normal. Carbon mags fit snug and I don’t expect them to drop on their own consistently.

A lot of slings give you the options of what kind of connection you want or you can swap out standard sling swivels for flush cups on most slings. All my slings are sitting in a parts bin somewhere but the last couple I used were a padded vtac and a mountain sling. Both seem like good options but slings just get caught on things and make noise more than they help me it seems.

Bolt thing is normal.

Last edited:

Strife21

FNG
Magazine thing seems normal. Carbon mags fit snug and I don’t expect them to drop on their own consistently.

A lot of slings give you the options of what kind of connection you want or you can swap out standard swing swivels for flush cups on most slings. All my slings are sitting in a parts bin somewhere but the last couple I used were a padded vtac and a mountain sling. Both seem like good options but slings just get caught on things and make noise more than help me it seems.

Bolt thing is normal.
Yea I don’t have the carbon fiber magazine tho since it’s a short action.

it’s almost like with the extra force it goes a bit above the catch so when you release the magazine isn’t resting on the ledge that would be depressed to drop it.

Yea I don’t have the carbon fiber magazine tho since it’s a short action.

it’s almost like with the extra force it goes a bit above the catch so when you release the magazine isn’t resting on the ledge that would be depressed to drop it.

As long as there isn't some kind of inconsistent mag pressure on the action that alters function/accuracy of the rifle and you don't need to do high speed mag changes i wouldn't worry about it much. I've never had a readily available spare mag for hunting situations.

Strife21

FNG
Is there anyway someone with a short action ph2 can take a picture of the metal mag stop piece in the mag well with a magazine inserted. I want to see if mine is extending over the back edge of the magazine enough. Mine just seems to barely make contact with the edge of the magazine and is more in contact with the beveled ended if the magazine which might be what is causing it to move slightly past the magazine stop.

Praying I don't have to send this back to them. Here are some pictures of what mine looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_8592.jpg
    IMG_8592.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8593.jpg
    IMG_8593.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

TheViking

WKR
I have a PH1 in 6.5 PRC. Only about 50 rounds through it, but I am getting a hair over 1/2" @ 100 yards with factory 143 ELD-X and 147 ELD-M. I expect sub half-inch with handloads.
a5cec78412ed0c91fb3cbc4bd706260e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sorry for creeping a super old post, what brake do you have on this gun?

Stalker69

WKR
I prefer running in shoes, but occasionally while hunting I will run in boots. I did shoot a buddies seekins Havak quite a bit and it didn’t impress me enough to consider buying one.

OP
LightFoot

LightFoot

WKR
I prefer running in shoes, but occasionally while hunting I will run in boots. I did shoot a buddies seekins Havak quite a bit and it didn’t impress me enough to consider buying one.
I suppose your car doesn't run and if you run to the store, you do it in your nikes.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk