Seekins Bolt Upgrade

Badseed

WKR
This is for anyone who has had seekins upgrade the bolt on a Havak PH1. I have a PH1 in 6.5cm that shoots lights out. It is earlier one of the earlier havak rifles so it has the mcmillian game warden stock on it which I also like. The problem is that the bolt is cock in close which is stiff.

Now that my son is shooting it, I noticed him canting the rifle to close the bolt. The bolt upgrade that seekins offers is cock on open. I talked with a rep from seekins today and he told me that seekins would preform the bolt upgrade free of change. Sounds great except that he said they would also be replacing the action and the rebedding the new action into a new seekins stock. i hate the idea of swapping out a mcmillian stock for the newer seekins. I guess my question is for those who have done the upgrade, was it a noticeable improvement in the bolt operation? how does the seekins stock compare to the mcmillian?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
A friend of mine sent his ph1 in and had it done. He was happy with it, he also had them inlet the stock for a piece of arca

Yes, the new bolt is much better!

I sent mine in and I had already rebarreled with an aftermarket barrel. They also swapped a whole new action in which concerned me since I had $1k+ into the barrel but it runs much smoother now and shoots great. I like the seekins stock better than the game warden so to me that is an upgrade.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Is this upgrade something that is standard on newer models? If so, when did they start doing it?

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Yes, the new bolt is much better!

I sent mine in and I had already rebarreled with an aftermarket barrel. They also swapped a whole new action in which concerned me since I had $1k+ into the barrel but it runs much smoother now and shoots great. I like the seekins stock better than the game warden so to me that is an upgrade.

What do you like better about the seekins stock? The waffle grid for texture seems cheap but I have never felt a seekins composite stock in person. I am just making the assumption that MCM is a better stock. Perhaps I am wrongly assuming that.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
He got a whole new bolt for the ph1 two years or so ago
I just ordered a havak element that has the paint job that’s different from that mountain/deaert/urban shadow paint scheme. If I have to send it in right away I’m going to be F’ing pissed. Now I’m already worried.

What do you like better about the seekins stock? The waffle grid for texture seems cheap but I have never felt a seekins composite stock in person. I am just making the assumption that MCM is a better stock. Perhaps I am wrongly assuming that.

Ergos are better. Grip is a little better for me when it comes to making good trigger presses. Comb is higher and level rather than positive which means less comb pressing into your cheek when recoil is coming back and up. Toe line isn't a steep ramp so the but isn't as prone to drop when using rear support. It is stiff and light.

Because it probably costs less to make than a fiberglass or carbon layup doesn't make it functionally worse.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I just ordered a havak element that has the paint job that’s different from that mountain/deaert/urban shadow paint scheme. If I have to send it in right away I’m going to be F’ing pissed. Now I’m already worried.

All the new havaks already have the bolt upgrade. As far as I am aware, only the PH1 had the cock on close feature. Its not terrible, honestly the bolt is probably as smooth as a cooper action. The rifle shoots so damn well that I lived with the stiffer than I prefer bolt close.

MattB

WKR
Canting the gun to close the bolt, the horror. I jest, but think about it a bit. Is it really that big a deal? Can you just send them the barreled action or is the replacement action one that won't fit the PH1?

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
All the new havaks already have the bolt upgrade. As far as I am aware, only the PH1 had the cock on close feature. Its not terrible, honestly the bolt is probably as smooth as a cooper action. The rifle shoots so damn well that I lived with the stiffer than I prefer bolt close.

Yeah it was only an older PH1 problem, your element will be good to go

Go look for a Seekins at a local Scheels, etc and you’ll feel the difference. The new bolts are very smooth.

I fondled one at scheels a while back that felt pretty bad. I think it may be a shipping grease thing that made it feel way more gummy than mine.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Canting the gun to close the bolt, the horror. I jest, but think about it a bit. Is it really that big a deal? Can you just send them the barreled action or is the replacement action one that won't fit the PH1?

The bolt close is tight enough where most people would question if the bullet was being jammed into the lands. I asked about sending in barreled action but with the new bolt comes a new action which does not fit into the bedding of the PH1. Seekins said it was cheaper to bed a new stock than clean out my existing stock and rebed. I am waiting to hear back if they would consider cleaning out my existing stock because otherwise they would just throw my old stock away anyways. Seems like a waste.

Sevens

WKR
So, what do they do with all the old stocks and actions/bolts?

Kind of amazing that a company is willing to swap out, essentially, the two most major and expensive components of the rifle to upgrade it.

So, what do they do with all the old stocks and actions/bolts?

Kind of amazing that a company is willing to swap out, essentially, the two most major and expensive components of the rifle to upgrade it.

No kidding, seems crazy.

@Badseed If they are just going to throw away the game warden, i'd ask them if you can just send in the barreled action and have them put it in a new stock. That way you can dremel out and rebed the micky stock if you like it better.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
No kidding, seems crazy.

@Badseed If they are just going to throw away the game warden, i'd ask them if you can just send in the barreled action and have them put it in a new stock. That way you can dremel out and rebed the micky stock if you like it better.

Thats exactly what I asked.