Soft Shell or not?

LJ Buck

WKR
So I don’t really want a soft shell jacket in my system because of the weight but i felt like i was lacking one this year I need one during archery.

I was thinking of the Chinook by KUIU because i really liked the pants or i was thinking maybe using the FL Labrador.

Any suggestions?

My system for the top is FL base long sleeve the FL Chama Hoodie, Kuiu SD and then a KUIU Yukon jacket.

Whisky

WKR
There have been recent threads on this. For archery I made the decision to add a softshell recently after wishing I had one for my September hunts. The 2014 Sitka 90% appears to be a favorite for many. I picked one up and used it last weekend on a mulie hunt. As far as softshell go, its probably one of the lightest, and most packable ones I've laid my hands on, and surprising pretty dang quiet and I'm picky on noise for archery. I have no experience with Chinook material.

With adding a softshell your Yukon is overkill and could go lighter on rain jacket.

The FL Labrador isn't really a soft shell but rather a thick merino jacket. The FL Northbranch is their softshell and pretty burly. It is definitely not light or super packable (but not too bad on either front) but is much more of a bad weather layer. I'm planning on really using mine hunting in the late-fall with snow/wind, etc.

I know a lot more people going to soft shell jackets and ditching the rainwear unless a down pour. I am adding one and packing my rain gear.

I love my soft shell. However, on my recent moose hunt in Alaska my shell was worthless since it rained nearly non stop and I wore my Yukon rain gear all the time. I just got back from hunting in Eastern, WA for 9 days and I wore my soft shell every day and never even pulled out my rain gear. This is one of those questions where there is no right answer. Everything depends on the climate you are hunting in and your personal preferences. I will be taking my daughter out for deer season starting this weekend in Western, WA and between that and late archery elk season here I'll probably end up using both the rain gear and the soft shell. Hooray for comp time!

tttoadman

WKR
I ditched the softshell jacket because of the weight and volume. I have a typical 4 pc layering setup with merino, midweight microfleece, sitka vest, raincoat.

OP
L

LJ Buck

WKR
I would have to say the more i think about it i may just add the FL Springer vest. As for rain gear I do like using the Yukon Jacket as my outershell its just to loud to stock in. The Yukon pants are very durable (i have had issues with durability of othe rain gear). I just need a little more warmth while stocking around in the am. Thanks for all the replys guys.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm still not even sure what a soft shell jacket is, or what the purpose is supposed to be??? I hunted the entire season this year with my lightweight merino base layers, and Microtex Lite camo. I wore my microfleece mock-T maybe twice, but took it off soon after because was sweating too much. This was the first season where I never needed another layer. Even took my puffy and rain jacket out of the pack all season.

But normally, I also wear a fleece jacket on occasion during some of the colder mornings and evenings later in the season. I guess I'd call that my "soft shell jacket".

I would have to say the more i think about it i may just add the FL Springer vest. As for rain gear I do like using the Yukon Jacket as my outershell its just to loud to stock in. The Yukon pants are very durable (i have had issues with durability of othe rain gear). I just need a little more warmth while stocking around in the am. Thanks for all the replys guys.
Love my Springer vest. I typically hike in my Llano SS, Chama QZ and the Springer down into the 30's. I keep my Cabelas puffy for when I stop. Last weekend I packed my Northbranch rather than my puffy, which was great for hiking in the stiff breeze we had and still breathed really well.

I think soft shells are pointless but thats my opinion. weight with no warmth. I use merino base layer, puffy if its cold, and a hard shell if raining.

Manosteel

WKR
For my steep mountain hunts I don't use a soft shell but come this time of year, I always use one. I love them on moose hunts, especially when it gets crisp in the mornings and use them on spot and stalk in late October and November for deer. I will wear a merino base (185 0r 245 weight) and then the soft shell. Rain isn't an issue this time of year for me and the soft shell are fine in shleet and snow. My kuiu guide jacket has been really nice the few times I have had it out this year. It will be put to the test in the coming days as I am off on a moose hunt.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I think soft shells are pointless but thats my opinion. weight with no warmth. I use merino base layer, puffy if its cold, and a hard shell if raining.

Justin, what would you wear if it was 16 degrees, no rain and you had to bust through trees and bushes some of the time? My puffy couldn't handle rubbing on trees and bushes, my rain gear is too loud and my merino is not warm enough. It seems a soft shell is the right choice in this situation but I'm open to ideas.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Justin, what would you wear if it was 16 degrees, no rain and you had to bust through trees and bushes some of the time? My puffy couldn't handle rubbing on trees and bushes, my rain gear is too loud and my merino is not warm enough. It seems a soft shell is the right choice in this situation but I'm open to ideas.

Fleece. The only time I wear a puffy is if I'm sitting, which isn't very often. Love my fleece......warm, quiet, lightweight, dries by shaking it out, and cheap.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
Fleece. The only time I wear a puffy is if I'm sitting, which isn't very often. Love my fleece......warm, quiet, lightweight, dries by shaking it out, and cheap.

I put fleece in the category of a soft shell. I've hunted in variety of fleece jackets. They are cheap as you say but many don't block the wind. In looking through my closet I have a bunch of soft shells that are variations of fleece some with a coating or other material that help them block the wind. My lightest fleece jacket (that doesn't block wind) weighs 16 oz which is around the weight of the 2014 Sitka 90% and the Kuiu Chinook.

What does your fleece weigh? Does it block the wind?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What does your fleece weigh? Does it block the wind?

I have a camo jacket that's 300 weight fleece and weighs 12.1oz. My FL Labrador merino jacket weighs 20.2oz and is nowhere near as warm as the fleece jacket. No wind block, but if I'm on the move I don't care if the wind is getting through some as that will help me cool and vent some as I sweat. If I absolutely need wind block, I also have my rain jacket.

If it was 16 degrees and I was on the move hiking... my merino would keep me warm. I could use 2 merino layers if needed (First lite chama hoody). I think I get too hot in soft shell jackets when hiking. I typically don't bust thru brush much when Im bowhunting. I usually wear thin layers when hiking and put on a puffy when I am stopped or get cold.'

In the winter time hunting mountain lions it can be -20 to 0 degrees and when I am hiking I usually have a light layer on. Or a light fleece layer.

The soft shells are cool. But after using them they just seem not needed at least to me thou.