Solar Generator charging

Scotto

WKR
Anyone have any experience, with any brand, at charging a Solar Generator battery below 32F with a solar panel?
I have reviewed a few and they state a minimum charging temp of 32F.
Called Bluetti and was told by CS it will not.
Anker rep seemed to imply it would charge below 32 to a point he didn't know, couldn't say.

Titan

WKR
I'm about to find out. My plan was to use the power station in order to bring the battery temp up, then it should charge and stay warm while doing so.

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
There is no way around it with any LIFEPO battery. They cannot be charged or discharged with the battery temperature below freezing without permanently damaging them.

Titan

WKR
I do see it says 32*+ for operation on my power station. I have way more capacity than needed, so I might try keeping something running all night to keep the temp up for when it's needed in the morning.

Titan

WKR
Thats a good idea. I found a 120v reptile heat mat that only pulls 8 watts. I would lose about 7% overnight on my power station.

There are also some 2-3ft pipe heating cables that have a thermostat.

Bought a 3ft self regulating heat cable on amazon for $18. I would rather have it just in case I have issues.

Which Bluetti do you have Scotto?

Last edited:
OP
S

Scotto

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the batteries are the limiting factor. It seems like good option for a September camp, not having to bring gasoline and the older generator, but the 32F limit will require a workaround like stated above. Let us know how it works out. I also thought of the reptile heat mat. We have one on our spider cage at home.

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
I would imagine all of those type of units have a safety circuit to not allow you to charge or discharge if the battery is to cold. Some may also have built in heaters since this is not uncommon for off the grid systems. There are definitely work arounds and I wouldn't be surprised if some companies build them into the system.