Solar Panel for backpack hunting

Backyard

WKR
The Goal Zero Nomad 7 has an output of 1.4A. My 26,800mAh power bank has an input requirement of 2A. Will the Nomad charge the bank?

Prob not. ( math) But why? From what all the naysayers have been claiming, you have more than a weeks worth of charges in that power bank. How long are you planning on packing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NUGGET

WKR
Forget the solar, forget battery packs and just go hunting. 99% of guys don’t even stay in the field for a week straight. If you’re draining batteries etc take up golf.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
How long are you planning on packing?

15 days. Will be truck camping most of the time, but don’t plan to be driving enough to charge anything. Was just thinking it would be nice to leave the solar panel at the truck to keep a reserve bank charged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Backyard

WKR
How long are you planning on packing?

15 days. Will be truck camping most of the time, but don’t plan to be driving enough to charge anything. Was just thinking it would be nice to leave the solar panel at the truck to keep a reserve bank charged

[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure it can do that. That's how I use it when I spike, although I don't have that large of a battery.

TravisIN

WKR
Don’t use a solar panel to charge a phone or inreach. Use the solar panel to recharge a battery pack. Leave at camp in the sun chattering the pack and then at night recharge your phone and inreach or whatever. At least that’s been the best way I’ve found to do it. A battery pack should charge them both a few times without needing to be recharged itself. So if each day your putting it on a solar panel your keeping up with the small mount you are losing charging your electronics.

BBob

WKR
I use the Anker battery packs as well. If I think I'll need solar I use a 16W Rav Power, lighter cheaper and more output than Goal Zero. Most of the time the solar is left at the truck to charge a pack that's been used a bit and swapped as needed.

TheGDog

WKR
Also bought this one and it is a lot lighter weight 6oz but takes forever to charge a phone but the light is bright and awesome inside a tent or outside around camp
DO NOT trust those LUCI products! Mine went kaput extremely fast. With no real usage either.

BBob

WKR
DO NOT trust those LUCI products! Mine went kaput extremely fast. With no real usage either.
Interesting, I've had their original basic rechargeable light for who knows how many years now and it's still going. It's always going along for the ride. Mby it's lasted because it's nothing but a battery and LED's.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine is atlest 5 or more years old and light still functions fine but last year I've have to inflate it every evening

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Backyard

WKR
Don’t use a solar panel to charge a phone or inreach. Use the solar panel to recharge a battery pack. Leave at camp in the sun chattering the pack and then at night recharge your phone and inreach or whatever. At least that’s been the best way I’ve found to do it. A battery pack should charge them both a few times without needing to be recharged itself. So if each day your putting it on a solar panel your keeping up with the small mount you are losing charging your electronics.

^^^ I do this same also and have had good results ^^^

I was told to do this same when I purchased my Nomad from the Goal Zero guys at a sports show. They added that for reason of the inconsistent rate of mA from the panel during charging will actually shut down the charging process for an Iphone specifically as it needs a constant rate of mA to charge.

Before going for solar panel, calculate your daily power needs. Then consider power to weight ratio of power bank vs solar panel. That alone made me get a bigger power bank - simply lighter setup, that works without sun either.

Unless your power consumption is huge, for a few days hunt, power bank might be a lighter option. Solar doesn't have other benefits, despite redundancy, does it?

Backyard

WKR
Before going for solar panel, calculate your daily power needs. Then consider power to weight ratio of power bank vs solar panel. That alone made me get a bigger power bank - simply lighter setup, that works without sun either.

Unless your power consumption is huge, for a few days hunt, power bank might be a lighter option. Solar doesn't have other benefits, despite redundancy, does it?
What does you bigger power bank weigh?

Backyard

WKR
369g (13 oz), it's a year old anker with 20,000 mAh nominal capacity.

It's nothing special, but does the job well and doesn't cost a lot.

Depends on individual needs, I wanted to offer a point of view to consider.
Yep, all good, not calling ya out either.
Was wondering what a larger one weighed, good to know, thanks. FWIW my solar set up weighs in at 16 oz. , panel and charger together.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
for last 2 years, been very happy on results with my SunTactics solar charge panel. I have the size 8 model (since discontinued). Now a size 5w and 14w are available. It works in charging my power bank (dark energy poseidon) at camp when I'm out hunting.
Made in USA solar panel.

Tried Goal Zero...zero is correct. Tried a couple CN versions off Amazon, Returned them all.

this Suntactics just plain works in keeping my battery/bank chargers maintaining upper level charged each day.

Suntactics S5,1.2Amp,7oz, Hiking Solar Charger

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
The soft buttons stopped working properly, the piece of the clear material for the handle snapped off way early on... then it's ability to act as a small battery bank for topping-off other devices stopped working rapidly as well.

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
Goal Zero is the gold standard when it comes to portable power in the backcountry. The Nomad line of solar panels are great. I believe I use the Nomad 20 to power up my Sherpa 100 power pack. It’s solid. Works very well.

Just leave the solar panel at camp with the battery pack attached and it will be charged up when you come back.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I have been very disappointed with my goal zero nomad. I spent twice as much as my hunting partner and even when mine worked his cheap Amazon special worked better. Last year second year for both of us back country camping my goal zero completely quit charging. Sunlight was not an issue in Arizona. Maybe I got a dud but I won’t be purchasing another.