Solar panels, do they work?

Elk1365

FNG
Looking at the best solution for charging electronics in the back country. Some say take a 10000mah power bank and solar panel to charge it, some say solars a waste of time just take a bigger power bank (i.e. 25000mah) and you won’t have to recharge it. Anyone with first hand experience? Which works better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a two panel anker solar charger. It works fine but needs all day charge a phone. For elk I would rather two power banks but it’s a personal choice I guess.

OP
E

Elk1365

FNG
You have a anker product # or panel wattage?

I have both. Goal zero solar panel and a dark energy battery bank. The dark energy takes forever to charge back up and the solar panel takes forever to charge anything. I generally use the solar panel in the back country and the battery charger on work trips.

Yes I have both a little folding panel, think it's 20 watt but might be 30, and a power bank. I don't charge the phone or anything directly with the panel or it takes forever. I charge my stuff with the bank and then recharge the bank with the solar while I'm out hunting. It works pretty well if I don't completely drain the bank and assuming there's some decent sun.

11boo

WKR
On your back or in back of the truck?

Back of the truck style, 120 w folder, 55AH deep cycle. All September charging and lighting, no issues.

IMG_6539.jpegIMG_6868.jpegIMG_2676.jpeg

BBob

WKR
Both seem to work. I use an Anker 10KmAh pack and can go a week with some to spare. I've gone as long as 10 days with it. My phone stays in airplane mode and the inReach is only powered up when I send a message or in the evening to check for messages. I do have a folding RavPower solar panel but I only use it for charging packs if needed at the truck. My buddy isn't as efficient and packs in a small solar panel to charge his pack while away during the day.

11boo

WKR
It would be on my back. Nice setup for in camp tho - beats messing around with Coleman lanterns.

Yeah all propane lanterns are retired. Just hit a remote. All that input and storage is overkill on mine. Solar never gets 100% so I oversized

on your back, just get the biggest practical and charge a big anker.. Angle is critical as stated. Leave in camp and set for max sun.

vladkgb

FNG
I have one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMFGGNR but I don't rely on the solar panels, they're more for emergency use. My charging needs are small in the backcountry, i mainly charge my phone that i use for mapping software, and my headlamp. I carry an inreach but it stays powered down until i'm in camp and checking in with the wife.

ColeyG

WKR
For backpacking mtn missions I use a Goal Zero 5w panel and Goal Zero Flip 12 battery pack. I only need to keep my phone and InReach topped off and this setup is more than adequate for that and as light a combo as I was able to put together.

During the day the panel charges the battery pack either on my pack or at camp, and then I use the battery to top of my electronics each night. I am rarely below 85% even in times where the weather sucks and the solar isn't really cranking.

I am still a little disgusted with myself that I have become so dependent on electronics in the mountains. I used to have a pretty firm stance against that, but between aids to navigation and emergency comms, I've changed my mind on the issue.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I'll have to check the name of the ones i use but they work awesome. I use them on motorcycle camping trips constantly I can fully charge my phone 3-4 times off one and they're compact. I believe its the hilucky ones off amazon.