Solid color insulated jacket

Cyril

FNG
Let me rephrase, the only downside to the Rab is it does not have pit zips. Kuiu Kenai definitely has them.

Last edited:

wnelson14

WKR
Have you tried their cold jacket advanced? Curious how you like it as it looks like a lost parka.
I have not I recently purchased the new alpha stretch in large and returned for a medium and returned that. I wanted to love it, but I couldn’t justify it with other peices I own, if the size large arms would have been slimmer it would be the perfect cold weather archery mid layer. I could also see it as a stand alone insulation peice for warm weather instead of a puffy but it for sure won’t pack down like a down piece. I opted to keep the new Kuhl aero fleece as an active insulation piece

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
The Kuiu Kenai is the most comfortable jacket I've ever worn. My go to casual wear jacket.

That is good to know mine should arrive next week.
Can’t wait to try it hopefully it fit me well.

Ordered a Kenai for this purpose but just didn’t like the way it looked/fit, did a little research and landed between Arc’teryx Atom LT and Rab Xenair Alpine. After trying all on, landed on the Rab, best fit for me and lightest by a couple ounces. Also cheapest of the bunch. Only downside to Kenai is no pit zips.
Between the Kenai and the Rab did you notice a difference in bulk?
The Rab have thicker insulation but it seem to weight about the same.
But pit zip or thin insulation on the pit is something I really want on the jacket.

And thanks to wnelson14 now Im also considering trying out the Kuhl Aktivator Hoody. As that one have fleece under the arms for ventilation.
And is about the same insulation thickness overall to the Kenai. But the kenai should edge it on warm by a small margin.

Cyril

FNG
That is good to know mine should arrive next week.
Can’t wait to try it hopefully it fit me well.

Between the Kenai and the Rab did you notice a difference in bulk?
The Rab have thicker insulation but it seem to weight about the same.
But pit zip or thin insulation on the pit is something I really want on the jacket.

And thanks to wnelson14 now Im also considering trying out the Kuhl Aktivator Hoody. As that one have fleece under the arms for ventilation.
And is about the same insulation thickness overall to the Kenai. But the kenai should edge it on warm by a small margin.
Rab was definitely lighter weight and seemed less bulky. Rab weighed in at 10.75 oz in size large, kuiu was 15.75oz if it matters. We will see how I like the Rab when hiking. For me the weight was important, building out gear for a fly out hunt where I am limited to 45 lbs total.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Rab was definitely lighter weight and seemed less bulky. Rab weighed in at 10.75 oz in size large, kuiu was 15.75oz if it matters. We will see how I like the Rab when hiking. For me the weight was important, building out gear for a fly out hunt where I am limited to 45 lbs total.

Then I looked at the wrong version of the Rab the one I saw says 15.8oz Medium. 100/80 gsm

The other Rab is 40gsm. Interesting. I wonder what would be an ideal temp range for this one.

Kenai is 90/60 gsm.

I’m just hesitant to get a fully enclosed jacket.
My puffy jacket have pit zip and that is a feature I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
I received the Kuiu Kenai and Kuhl Aktivator

-The Kenai is way more breathable. All around.
-The Kuhl is breathable only where they have the fleece . Under the arm and some small areas by the pockets.
-The shell of the Kuhl is completely wind proof.

-The main zipper of the Kenai is way smoother.

-Noise the Kenai wind.

-They are both tight around the waist, by the chest and arms I say they fit me great loose.

-I also ordered the Aktivator in XL have not opened it yet.

-Weight both size L
Kenai 16.1oz
Aktivator 18oz

-They both pack to about the same size.

Wow now not sure which one to keep.
I know that the Kuhl would be way warmer due to the shell being windproof.
And when it get cold here is also windy.

So that there would make me lean towards the Kuhl. I was expecting the underarm fleece to be thinner but to my surprise is a good thickness.

The Kuiu seem like a regular cotton hoody I only says that because of how breathable it is. But way better due to all the pockets.

Would post some pictures later or start a new topic with the pics.

wnelson14

WKR
I received the Kuiu Kenai and Kuhl Aktivator

-The Kenai is way more breathable. All around.
-The Kuhl is breathable only where they have the fleece . Under the arm and some small areas by the pockets.
-The shell of the Kuhl is completely wind proof.

-The main zipper of the Kenai is way smoother.

-Noise the Kenai wind.

-They are both tight around the waist, by the chest and arms I say they fit me great loose.

-I also ordered the Aktivator in XL have not opened it yet.

-Weight both size L
Kenai 16.1oz
Aktivator 18oz

-They both pack to about the same size.

Wow now not sure which one to keep.
I know that the Kuhl would be way warmer due to the shell being windproof.
And when it get cold here is also windy.

So that there would make me lean towards the Kuhl. I was expecting the underarm fleece to be thinner but to my surprise is a good thickness.

The Kuiu seem like a regular cotton hoody I only says that because of how breathable it is. But way better due to all the pockets.

Would post some pictures later or start a new topic with the pics.

I just recently got the Kuhl- aero fleece pullover, the one hoody jacket, and the aktivator, the aero fleece is the warmest of the three and quietest (archery quiet, like the Kenai) feel like a super comfy hoody, I kept this, seems like the perfect peice for a late season archery hunt. Probably too hot for hiking with a pack.
The one hoody I also kept, super lightweight great for day to day use and seems good for light rain, easy to layer and packs down smaller then the Aktivator,
I really liked the Aktivator also, the hood seems little to over sized, but easy to layer under and over, I returned it. when comparing the one and the Aktivator in high wind/cold out for where I am, probably in the mid 40’s with wind chill, the one hoody seemed to block the wind better, but I was stationary.
To be honest I’ll probably get the aktivator down the road again maybe non hooded.
The Marmont ALT HB hoody seems intriguing as well for this same use type of these jackets.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
From the other two you tried the One Hoody is more my style I don’t like pullover.

I’m surprised The One is warmer than the Aktivator you would think is the other way around.

The mandatory question how much the One weight? L o XL
And how many pockets it have?

Do you recall if the underarm fleece is the same size as the one in the Aktivator?

I wish the Kenai was available in black. The Aktivator definitely looks better. I think that is one factor that also make me lean towards the Kuhl.

I should decide next week as it would get colder and see which one I keep.

The other jacket that seem interesting is the Marmot Novus LT Hybrid. 3 pocket and huge side fleece for ventilation. They side panel are actually big.

wnelson14

WKR
From the other two you tried the One Hoody is more my style I don’t like pullover.

I’m surprised The One is warmer than the Aktivator you would think is the other way around.

The mandatory question how much the One weight? L o XL
And how many pockets it have?

Do you recall if the underarm fleece is the same size as the one in the Aktivator?

I wish the Kenai was available in black. The Aktivator definitely looks better. I think that is one factor that also make me lean towards the Kuhl.

I should decide next week as it would get colder and see which one I keep.

The other jacket that seem interesting is the Marmot Novus LT Hybrid. 3 pocket and huge side fleece for ventilation. They side panel are actually big.

The one when holding both aktivator and it seems lighter in weight but a toss up I didn’t weigh them, inside has a fleece backing like the ambient, but outter is more “nylony” and loud similar if not equal to the Aktivator.

If you want a black hooded? Kenai get a mountain hardware Kor Airshell (the grey one on Amazon right now for $120)
or Outdoor Vitals Vario or Ventus both in black.

The one only has normal hand outer pockets.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
The Vario was the one that made me start looking for something similar but with more features for the price.
I believe it only have 2 pockets. I like the underarm design.
I actually have their NovaPro UL as it have pit zips.

That why the Kenai then moved to the top of the list.
I was looking for something that also had some type of pit ventilation.

That Kor Airshell Warm look nice.
It don’t specifically have pit ventilation but it seem the whole jacket vent.
And super light while also featuring lot is pockets.
It look to have insulation like the kenai but it seem it only have fluffy fleece.

Would give it a try and report back next week.

I just realized that the ArcTeryx Atom LT is like the Marmot Novus LT Hybrid side fleece for ventilation.

Mostly looking to only use a shirt.
I already have a 800+ Down jacket.
So looking for and in between.
@Skybuster

I have the Vario, Ventus, Atom LT, and several others you didn’t mention here.

To complicate things for you I’ll throw out the Patagonia Nano Puff hoody and the Arc’Teryx Proton LT (not the FL).

You’re right about the Vario only having two pockets. It’s decent on warmth too. The “mesh” vents under the arm are more draft-like than actual ventilation that you would normally think of. I’m still not sure how I feel about them. It does decent in wind (with exception to the aforementioned draft in the pits), good in precipitation, and is about as comfortable as the comforter on our bed.

I love the Nano Puff and feel like it’s been solid in all types of elements down to about 40F. It has an internal pocket and two side pockets.

The Proton has been all the nano is, but comfortable in a t-shirt down to the mid to upper 30s. It lacks the fleece side panels like the Atom, but still does a great job breathing and has never left me feeling clammy in cold pursuits. If you DID want to wear it hunting, you could- it dons a very tough face fabric that’s much more abrasion-resistant than the Atom.

I have the FL uncompahgre 2.0., Sitka Aerolite and a few others you mentioned as well. Those are quite a bit different (heavier, warmer, and not as form-fitting) as some of the other options you laid out here.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
The SG Cirque Lite might be a little closer to what you’re looking for instead of the regular Cirque. I’ve heard the regular Cirque is pretty warm. I recently picked up an Arc’teryx Atom LT and have been super impressed with it.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
@Skybuster

I have the Vario, Ventus, Atom LT, and several others you didn’t mention here.

To complicate things for you I’ll throw out the Patagonia Nano Puff hoody and the Arc’Teryx Proton LT (not the FL).

You’re right about the Vario only having two pockets. It’s decent on warmth too. The “mesh” vents under the arm are more draft-like than actual ventilation that you would normally think of. I’m still not sure how I feel about them. It does decent in wind (with exception to the aforementioned draft in the pits), good in precipitation, and is about as comfortable as the comforter on our bed.

I love the Nano Puff and feel like it’s been solid in all types of elements down to about 40F. It has an internal pocket and two side pockets.

The Proton has been all the nano is, but comfortable in a t-shirt down to the mid to upper 30s. It lacks the fleece side panels like the Atom, but still does a great job breathing and has never left me feeling clammy in cold pursuits. If you DID want to wear it hunting, you could- it dons a very tough face fabric that’s much more abrasion-resistant than the Atom.

I have the FL uncompahgre 2.0., Sitka Aerolite and a few others you mentioned as well. Those are quite a bit different (heavier, warmer, and not as form-fitting) as some of the other options you laid out here.

I have always been intrigued about the Ventus but because is a pullover I never consider it as I don’t like that style.
Went they came out with the Vario I was like yes that more on my style.
But then I remembered the Kenai for similar price have way more pockets.

How would you compare the Vario to the Proton LT.
That a strange description for the underarm design.
-So you feel the cold coming in?
-Which one is more wind resistant?
-When you mention mid 30F was that active or static?
-Static at what temp would you use them down to?
-And what would you says is the upper temp for them?

From watching some videos it seem that the Proton LT is extremely breathable all around. It sound like it would be similar to the Kenai.
I thought the Kenai was going to be a bit more wind resistant when you blow air through it.

Thanks

How would you compare the Vario to the Proton LT.
That a strange description for the underarm design.
-So you feel the cold coming in?
-Which one is more wind resistant?
-When you mention mid 30F was that active or static?
-Static at what temp would you use them down to?
-And what would you says is the upper temp for them?

I feel the cold coming in if the wind kicks up or my arms aren’t at my side. Because it’s a large enough space, that gives an overall chilled feeling. What’s most interesting is it doesn’t let much heat out in other parts of the jacket, so doesn’t seem to breathe well overall- even with the pit mesh.

They’re both great in the wind if you keep your arms down (Vario).

Temp ratings will vary from person to person, but I’ll say that I wouldn’t run the Vario colder than 45 Or the Proton below the upper 30s. I wore the Proton in short sleeves when it was 37-38 out while active with the family and felt great.

Upper limit: I think think you’d overheat on a cloudy day when it’s 50 or so. However, I think I’d be coated in sweat if I tried to be active in the Vario (I’ve yet to test that piece).

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Update well I ordered a few more jackets to try out.

I even ordered jacket that I was not even considering due to the lack of pit ventilation.

LL Bean Packaway Aerogel - this thing is super thin compared to the Kenai and Aktivator.
Size L - 393g - 13.8oz
You could see light by the stitching. The shell is windproof. It feels considerably warm for how thin it is is like a psychological game you would not think it would work but it does it was around 58F windy.
I would definitely have to use it more time outside it started to rain so I stopped the test.
The jacket is super roomy all around. The shell is not my favorite it feels plastic.

The KOR Airshell Warm size L 347g - 12.24oz
kind of feel like the kenai is puffy considering the insulation is different.
I think this would definitely give the Kenai a good fight considering is lighter more roomy and cheaper.

Kuhl The One I couldn’t resist but give it a try. Size XL 425g - 14.99oz. I did not like the insulation is not glued to the shell on the hood so it feels weird plus is stuck/grab the my head.
The pockets are not insulated. The KOR Airshell pocket are insulated. The Shell is windproof except under the arm fleece.
I would give it to the Aktivator for warm as the pocket are insulated.

I was really considering giving the Ventus a try but due to the Kenai having more gram of the insulation It might not be as warm and I don’t think the kenai is that warm.
But from your description it seem to have a better shell than the Kenai if it keeps you comfy in those temps.

I been also reading good things about the Proton LT but decided to try two others. Just a hair cheaper.
The good thing about that one is the weight.

Well Cirque Jacket and Kelvin Aerolite are on the way.
The Sitka Aerolite is 80g vs the LL Bean Packaway 60g.
I find the 60g impressive for how thin is way thinner than the kenai.
So I imagine the Kelvin would be a great jacket.
The Cirque look bulky let see how it fit me I like the pit zip design.

SpeedymanWCC

FNG
Classified Approved
Check out Duluth trading company. They have some really nice insulated jackets.

ERegs

FNG
I had the kings jacket. Even in a size up from my normal it was still too small/tight. I actually feel like most of the clothes run that way. And I swear all the clothes have a shine to them.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Forgot to update:

From all that I tried definitely liked the Sitka Kelvin Aerolite.
And on sale is a great value.

One thing Sitka don’t mention is the interior side lining is of a different fabric to ease the vapor escape.
So I guess is almost similar to the Atom LT but the Atom LT would let air escape much easier on the sides.

The only downside is the DWR is really weak.

I also ended up grabbing a Patagonia DAS Light used from their wornwear site for less that full price.
And it fit over the Kelvin great.
Both size Large.

Now I discovered the Cumulus Brand and really want to try their Climalite Full Zip.