Solid reliable rings

packer58

WKR
As stated above, no benefit in using any thread locker on the crossbolts. However, make sure the ring crossbolts are firmly seated against the forward lug before tightening / final torque to specs.

Rob5589

WKR
I only use rails when I have to - prefer a 1 piece, integrated ring & base, or Leupold rings & mounts - sadly, that's what they offer these days.

The rails used to be called weaver rails 40 + years ago and were notorious for losing zero. I've got 2 rigs with rails (mutter, mutter) and am using Warne steel rings with 4 screws for scope and 2 screws at the rail. They hold zero well but I still don't trust em at all and baby them.
The Weaver rail is not a picatinny rail. A quality pic rail and rings aren't moving.

wapitibob

WKR
Do any of you guys blue loctite the cross bolt?
Never, I take my scope assy off every time I clean the rifle. A slight film of imperial die wax on the mating parts occasionally, slide the assy forward and torque to 55# and it's right where it was. The F class guys pull their scopes all the time, it's a non issue.

oneshotGA

FNG
I Loctite my base screws, but I have found that many manufacturers say that their torque recommendations for rings are based on dry threads. If anything that can act as a lubricant is used when torquing screws, then it will change the clamping force as compared to dry threads. I do not use Loctite on cross bolts.

As for rings, I also use Warne almost exclusively, but have been very happy with the Badger and NF rings I have used.

I have found Weaver rails to be very meh, due to wildly different specs from different manufacturers and very often loose tolerances to facilitate use with other companies' products, and I will generally use a one-piece mount if available, but the Picatinny rail is based on a military standard (specs are standardized and predefined, helping compatibility and interchangeability across the board), and with quality products from reputable manufacturers, I think Pic rails are fine.