SOLO Archery Elk Calling Tactics!?!?

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
First posted Thread. Thanks for any replies!

I have been bow hunting elk for 9 years with my hunting partners (calling for each other) with good success. This year I drew a coveted Rifle Tag in WY and am going SOLO. I will bow hunt the last 2 weeks before the rifle opener. If I can't close the deal with the bow I will rifle hunt starting Oct 1st. Hopefully I will already have a good idea on what bulls are in the unit at that time. We have always used calling to coax bulls in, so I' having doubts my SOLO call sequences can get it done without having a partner to drag the bulls by me. I will be hunting high desert/ mostly open country with Junipers/Cedars. I have studied frontal shot placement and poured over Elk anatomy, I have my first ever elk decoy (Ultimate Predator brand) even though it feels cheesy, I will check water holes and wallows.

Any suggestions for closing the deal on a SOLO archery elk "hunt-of-a-lifetime" (13 years I've been applying for this hunt).

Thanks guys! JakeSept elk, 2008 028.jpg

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
Jake, nice bull!

There's not a huge undertaking in being a Solo Caller or Tag Teaming with a buddy! The real world difference is that you are playing both roles as a Solo hunter! Your Tactics or Sequences do not vary, you are still communicating with the elk you have targeted! Here are a few Tactics we have used over the years. These Tactics & Sequences are also on the ElkNut Mobile App come the end of this month! Here are just a couple that can be found on the App in addition to tons of other useful elk calling tactics & sounds.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

With so many elk hunters hunting Solo we felt the need to share a few pointers that have led our success over the years. Before starting let it be known that our Calling Tactics do not change whether tag teaming or solo hunting. We let the elk dictate their wants or needs and tailor our approach whether calling or stalking; the elk do not care if we are alone or with others, it's up to us to fit in with their present mindset regardless of tactic chosen.

Most are aware as a Solo Hunter that Tactics such as Treestands over water, wallows, mineral licks, well used trails, escape routes, etc can be very effective in the right areas where fresh elk activity is present, these areas can have high success rates for those that are patient enough to put in the needed time. The information below is more about the aspect of calling to elk or having elk call us to them since this requires a higher level of skill and understanding in how to communicate with them and not just make Elk Sounds! Many who do use ambush sites still find calling can be needed to seal the deal, consider some of these thoughts below.

Here are a few Solo Tactics that may aid into tagging your next elk

# 1 - This is possibly the number one move Solo Hunters should consider. Once a bull is located through bugling and you've closed the distance where you feel he's still a couple hundred yards out; call to him again with 2-3 soft cow calls, this should promote a bugle. now you can get his exact location, also try to tell if he's cut the distance. If you have an interested bull he should call back to you. As long as there's still some separation and you cannot see each other cow call again from your present spot then move up 30 yards and stay silent for the moment, you do not want the oncoming bull to know your new location, you want him thinking you are still where he last heard you call. Depending on the bulls cooperation or not you may have to repeat your movement towards him but call first before moving to avoid running into each other; if 5-6 minutes goes by with no sightings or hearing his approach then consider moving up as many times as is necessary.

# 2 - If you've made your move towards the bull as mentioned in # - 1 and are now inside a 100 yards and the bull has been bugling/chuckling your cow calls but will not come closer; cow call from your present setup, once he responds; bugle a short mid volume Challenge and rake a tree or brush, if he bugles right back cut him off with a bit harsher Challenge and rake a tree as you give 2-3 cow calls. Repeat as needed, he will be coming your way so be ready with an arrow nocked for his approach!

# 3 - When there's good cover and wind you may want to consider heading straight to the bull as he attempts to call you his way as you cow call to him. (See Whines Going To The Bull under cow sounds) This is best done once you are 150 yards or closer. You will want to Mew and Whine softly as you head at him, call every 25 yards; once within 50 yards and you still cannot see him stop all calling and move towards him looking for him and your shot! Making ground noise as you cut the distance is a non issue, the bull will think it's the cow coming as he's asked her to!

# 4- There will be occasions you'll need to direct an oncoming Elk's approach, this can be done a couple of ways. You can cast your calls behind you or to the right or left either through your bugle tube or by cupping your hand and calling the needed direction. This can fool an elk into thinking your calling is coming from behind you or just a different spot than you actually are, you do not want the elk to catch any movement as you do this. Also tossing a good sized stone behind you or right or left of you can give the illusion this elk he's looking for is now where he hears this new thumping sound. You never know when little tricks like this can aid you in filling your tag!

# 5 - The Slow Play is your best friend on those Lazy to Lethargic bugles you can receive throughout the month of Aug, Sept and Oct -- (Look at the Slow Play Sequence in Table Of Contents!) When using this Tactic there will be occasions when you can work the Sequence in a tight setup and draw a bull from 175 yards away or further and other encounters where you may need to close the distance with care as you continue with the Sequence. I generally do not move unless I realize the bull is further away than first anticipated. Outside of that I stay put & repeat it until I draw him in or I get him to exchange bugles, in nearly every case once I receive any sound from the bull he is on his way to me. Some show up quicker than others, stay patient and out of his view until he's in range, your tight setup is very important here, he must come inside your effective range before he can see the source of the calling or he could hang up!

There's more on the App, hope these help you out!

ElkNut/Paul

Brendan

WKR
My advice - use ElkNut / Paul's material (I like the audio version of the playbook) and subscribe to Chris Roe / Roe Hunting Resources' Elk Module. Between those two - more content than you need, and I like parts from each.

While nowhere near the experience that Paul has, I started out as a complete rookie about 5 years ago, and have developed into a competent caller, taken 4 trips, called in a bunch of bulls, and killed two, all solo. Those are the two resources I use for calling and calling strategy.

You mentioned it, but I agree on getting familiar with, and comfortable with frontal shots, know what you will and won't take.

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks Brendan!

There are parts that overlap between the Playbook that Brendan mentioned & the ElkNut Mobile App, but hands down the App is more of a complete source of Tactics, Sounds & Info above that leaves the Playbook well behind! The App can also be utilized while in the woods without any cell service.

Learn the 'Slow Play Sequence' until you are familiar with it like the back of your hand, there is no calling encounter it cannot be adapted too! Solo or Tag Team it's #-1

ElkNut/Paul

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to kill a big herd bull then give up on the idea of calling him to you, and let him call you to him. Too many guys get all caught up in "calling in" elk. The goal is to kill the biggest bull in the woods. The calling him in tactic is not usually the best and if it's your only play, all the time, your success is going to be low.

I hunt by myself a lot in varied country. Use your glass when you can. Use your calls to locate. Use your stealth to kill a giant. My exception to less calling is when I am already in shooting range and need to move the bull just for the shot. Whether that is a bugle or a cow call depends on the situation.

Now if you're just into killing "a bull" then go ahead and go the BRO route and do the pide piper of the woods routine. 😂 Pretty simple to get satellite bulls coming in any day.

Brendan

WKR
If you want to kill a big herd bull then give up on the idea of calling him to you, and let him call you to him. Too many guys get all caught up in "calling in" elk. The goal is to kill the biggest bull in the woods. The calling him in tactic is not usually the best and if it's your only play, all the time, your success is going to be low.

I hunt by myself a lot in varied country. Use your glass when you can. Use your calls to locate. Use your stealth to kill a giant. My exception to less calling is when I am already in shooting range and need to move the bull just for the shot. Whether that is a bugle or a cow call depends on the situation.

Now if you're just into killing "a bull" then go ahead and go the BRO route and do the pide piper of the woods routine. 😂 Pretty simple to get satellite bulls coming in any day.

I don't agree with this - although there are definitely right and wrong ways to go about it.... While I haven't sealed the deal on a big herd bull, I've called several off their cows to me and into shooting range. And I'm by no means the best at this.

The last one I did it to came down the damn hill mewing like a cat he wanted some so bad... All I needed was one more step.... Needless to say the dominant cow was pissed, came trying to find me and spent 20 minutes pinned down with her barking in my direction trying to find the cow who tried to steal her bull...

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Brendan

Your own words just proved my point! "While I haven't sealed the deal on a big herd bull, I've called several off their cows to me and into shooting range. "

It's not about calling a bull in(when he now knows you're there) it's about KILLING them! Best way to kill a herd bull is when he never knows what hit him ;) BTW I've called in a 375" bull for my dad that he killed, as well as many other herd bulls we've killed so it's not that I don't know how or don't call at all when it's right, but this thread is about killing a bull solo.

The other factor worth mentioning is, calling a bull in and then having them spook likely will blow them out. Sneaking in, you can sometimes stay within close range of a bull all day until the shot presents.

Even tho I've had numerous bulls in both Western Hunter and Eastmans bow hunting, don't take my word for it. Go watch Nate Simmons hunt big bulls. Spot, stalk, call sparingly to get shots and you'll kill more big bulls. Unless you're just about calling for the sake of calling. Makes no difference to me, was just trying to help the OP cuz he asked for it and I have lots of experience hunting the open country he's asking about.

Brendan

WKR
Your own words just proved my point!

I see your point, and I do have less experience than you, but I don't think it's either or. Basically - you can probably get it done equally well both ways if you get proficient at it. And In my case - I think the reason I didn't get a shot was my setup in each case, which I hope I've learned from...

Here's the other thing. In the areas I've hunted, there's been pretty much zero spot and stalk. None. I think I've seen about 3 bulls out in the open on their own, total. So, it has had to involve working in on the bull or calling in the bull. But, in thick country, usually dry and with close shots, sneaking in for a 20-30 yard shot without being heard or seen isn't as easy as you make it out to be. I've tried that too, and despite 20+ years of still hunting for whitetail on the ground, calling for me has still resulted in many more opportunities.

Beendare

WKR
Pauls advice is always good stuff... and i agree with ocd when it comes to pressured herd bulls in otc units. Im convinced some of those bulls that get hunter pressure might be uncall-able.... without a decoy that is/grin

Pauls slow strategy works though....You have to be patient.

Jacack

WKR

I hunt solo most of the time and hunt this way 90% of the time. I think when I started out i wasn’t a great caller, I take that back, I was terrible so I chose to just be stealthy as possible and only call to keep tabs on a bull if he isn’t making a lot of noise or try to get him in a shooting position.

Best bull I have taken had no calling whatsoever, watched him leave a ridge two evenings in a row with his cows infront and I figured out the trail they where using and built a good hide and had him walk right by at 16 yards the 3rd night

I do admit sometimes I feel if i was more confident in my calling I would do things differently but my success has been decent with doing what I do.