Solo Campfire

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I usually hunt later in the season and rarely ever make a fire. I’d really enjoy one, but I hunt solo and never feel like making one when the time comes. I’d rather just eat and get ready for bed.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Depends on where and when. Early seasons when it's dry, no. Out on the prairie, no. Up in the mountains on the later hunts, some times. If I'm truck hunting/camping and I have some fresh meat (either I brought or killed) I love wood fired meat.

Depends on where and when. Early seasons when it's dry, no. Out on the prairie, no. Up in the mountains on the later hunts, some times. If I'm truck hunting/camping and I have some fresh meat (either I brought or killed) I love wood fired meat.
Funny, because prairie I'm more likely to.

But I'm probably bird hunting, so quitting before dark, and easy to clear around a fire ring at truck camp.

Maverick1

WKR
Nope. Never had a fire at camp. Nearly 20 years solo hunting. Typically too tired at the end of the day, just want to setup camp and go to bed.

Have only archery hunted in the mountains in September. I might if the temperatures were cooler, I hunted in October/November, or I didn’t do the bivy/tarp style of hunting. (Hunting from a base camp I might consider it, but it’s pretty rare that I don’t pack up my entire camp and hike around with it all day, moving from spot to spot as I go.)

IDVortex

WKR
Truck camping yes, as long as there aren't fire restrictions. Backpacking, it'll depend on if I'm bivying out on a stalk no, if I'm at my primary camp yes if I have the time to make it. There's nothing more relaxing then hearing a fire, plus it helps calm my mind while camping.

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy having a fire, either in the stove or just a small fire before bed reflecting on the day and making a plan for the next day. Depends on where I am set up and what the plan is, if I am gonna be in an area for a few days I'll wait to have a fire until I get the lay of the land. Never been too tired to make a fire though, always been part of the activities that are thought about and planned for long before the hunt starts.

I don't think I ever have made a campfire while hunting by myself.

Of course I'll do a fire in my Seek stove to warm up the tipi while I eat my dinner.

Beendare

WKR
My solo Archery backpack deer or bear hunts I never light a fire.

I am usually packed into a spot close to where I hunt. I probably could without affecting the hunting...but I never have.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
During archery I never have a fire even if I'm not alone. By the time I get back to camp it's dark, I'm tired, and it's bedtime. A few years ago I did have a fire solo mid morning one cold drizzly day, but that's been it.

For those of you who camp/hunt solo, do you typically build yourself a fire at night? I never have while solo and wondering why I haven't. I guess I was just being lazy and didn't feel like it was necessary. Have a 7 day solo hunt and maybe I'll try it.
If solo I don't bother with a fire. I'm usually too tire from hunting and just want to eat my Peak Refuel, read a little, maybe listen to a little downloaded country music, and go to sleep. Wash, rinse, repeat...

Fuzzy684

FNG
If conditions permit I love a fire. It is good company. It's something to keep me occupied on some of the long nights in the later seasons. No matter what the day brought, if I am sleeping by 7 I will be up at 1 so I need to have a reason to stay up and tending a fire and enjoying that real heat is perfect. And then the first night back at the truck, a fire with real coffee and fresh roast beast is one of the finest pleasures in life.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
I take primitive kayaking fishing trips. Always make a fire, it’s how I cook my food usually.

The few solo hunting trips I’ve taken I’ve never made a fire. Usually too dry. Also need to get up early so no time to sit around the fire.

MHWASH

WKR
I often have a fire. It's nice to sit back and reflect. I find it quite relaxing after a hard day of hunting. I'd rather watch a fire than a movie.

49ereric

WKR
Fire needed to make a smudge to keep the sketters in check cuz once the sun dips on the horizon bug mania here.

Depends on the weather for me too. If its wet out I usually start one at some point in the day to dry out, or if it gets socked in and I cant glass. When with others I do them way more often though

Butcher8

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to find a Solo stove for Christmas last year but ended up with a Duraflame copy. It burns good and makes a nice fire. It’s not as well insulated as a Solo and radiates heat out really well. We use it at our house whenever we can find a reason.