Solo Elk Hunting

Well 2020 has rolled around I am possibly on the verge of my first ever solo archery elk hunting experience....for other solo hunters - What is the one tip, strategy, suggestion you wished someone would have told you prior experiencing your hunt? What was the most surprising thing you just never thought of during the hunt? Whether it was mentally, physically or that one make or break piece of equipment. Just trying to prepare myself with as much knowledge as I can.

stay as long as you can,

mental/physical wasn't a surprise.... I had been going with others for a while prior to my first solo. For me it was just making sure everythign was dialed in because I was it. If my stove or filter failed, there was no borrowing. Most of my stuff is well proven and I seldom upgrade becuase newer doesn't always equal better.

Lots of my stuff pulls double duty and I also have back ups of the most important things (i.e. two headlamps, two ways to purify water, etc...).

Last edited:
Definitely staying out there as long as you can. Where I hunt, I can be packed in and drive home within 4 hours or so and that can be pretty tempting when its a slow, hot day with no elk action. The couple times I have done that I wanted to be back in the woods two minutes after I was home.

I also couldn't do solo trips without podcasts or some music to listen to at night. Walking around all day without talking to anyone is fine but being in a dark tent in silence isn't my favorite thing in the world.

Try to camp near a good water source if possible. I have camped in a couple good elky spots before but access to drinking water was a mile away and it became a huge pain and pretty stressful to fill water once or twice a day. The following year I packed in a couple gallons of water in late summer and stashed them at my camp spot which worked out great.

Just try to stay comfortable, don't torture yourself, and have fun

I’ve only had one truly solo trip from start to finish. But have spent many nights alone before or after hunting partners have arrived or left. The solitude is great, you can go your own pace instead of waiting on others, there are no disagreements on what needs to be done. It just comes down to getting it done since it’s all on you.

Most break mentally with no one there to hold them accountable, just like anything else in life. I agree with the above advice, stay as long as you can. I’ve left early on a couple hunts for whatever reason. Whether it was work, wanting to see the wife, or just having decided I’ve given it my all and it’s time.

I put in a lot of work on my hunts, I’m in good shape both mentally and physically. Each time I’ve left early, I got home and the very next day wished I was back on the mountain. Commit to staying a certain amount of time and take a morning off or a break if you need. Head to town for a good meal or sleep in and you’ll feel pretty refreshed and ready to go.

I do almost all solo trips, including my first ever backcountry trip years ago, so there have been some lessons along the way. I agree what everyone is saying, most people Crack mentally and/or leave early as opposed to leaving because of something unforeseen or equipment failure. My advice is be in the best shape you can. It’s easier to fight the mental battle when you aren’t completely destroyed physically from not being in shape or pushing way to hard the first day.

OP
D
Wow, thanks for all that took the time to provide all great feedback! I have been elk hunting once prior with a 3 man group, so that definitely has helped me prepare. I did split off for a solo day hunt when I was there whish was awesome! But we all came back to the same camp each night. I think mentally in the dark/night might be my largest struggle. I planned on bringing some music or podcast to help fill that void here and there. The pack out will be the most physically demanding and I hope to literally take it one step at a time. I've been hiking/training with weighted packs for that. Been listening to a ton of podcasts about taking care of meat, tips to keeping it cold, etc.

Indian Summer - I've been looking for a good, committed hunter partner for years and unfortunately just haven't found the right fit. Yes, a hunter partner is priceless, but I can't let that deter me from ever going. I only have so many opportunities to hunt out west, so I can't let them keep slipping through my fingers just cuz of no hunting partner.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
My weaknesses: Conditioning, packing to much crap that I think I MIGHT need, getting started early mornings, staying late, finding and recognizing recent Elk sign.
I enjoy being out solo, I can do what I want when I want...I don't like noises out side my tent at night.

87TT

WKR
Other than a "guided" elk hunt 30 years ago, I have only ever elk hunted solo. Shared deer camp with friends a few times and deer hunted with my kids but never elk hunting. Most of my hunting is solo. One, I can't find anyone that hunts like I do and available. Two, it seems to work better for me and three, I like it. My biggest suggestion would be to unplug for a few days. Try no TV, no cell phone (except work or emergencies), NO internet and no electronics. Take a book or other reading material. I find re reading a favorite old book helps me go to sleep. Makes your mind get off of the day.

OP
D
My weaknesses: Conditioning, packing to much crap that I think I MIGHT need, getting started early mornings, staying late, finding and recognizing recent Elk sign.
I enjoy being out solo, I can do what I want when I want...I don't like noises out side my tent at night.

Hi Northernpiker, I'm just over in Spring Valley, WI not far from you! It's a good thing I sleep like a rock, so hopefully I "don't" hear anything outside the tent at night.

OP
D
Other than a "guided" elk hunt 30 years ago, I have only ever elk hunted solo. Shared deer camp with friends a few times and deer hunted with my kids but never elk hunting. Most of my hunting is solo. One, I can't find anyone that hunts like I do and available. Two, it seems to work better for me and three, I like it. My biggest suggestion would be to unplug for a few days. Try no TV, no cell phone (except work or emergencies), NO internet and no electronics. Take a book or other reading material. I find re reading a favorite old book helps me go to sleep. Makes your mind get off of the day.

Great advise 87TT! I actually plan to do a day or 2 solo camping trips locally this summer and it would be easy to incorporate your suggestions. It will give me a good sneak peek into what to expect both physically but more importantly mentally.