Solo Elk Quartering

jpmulk

WKR
I know most people leave the head on til last that I have seen. I feel like doing this solo, it would be beneficial to cut the head off first? Ive never cut the head off first myself. Thoughts on this?

87TT

WKR
Solo, and gutless here. If the antlers are in the way, cut off the head

Freeride

FNG
That was my main concern. I do the gutless method here in Kansas on whitetail so I’m very familiar with it. Just wasn’t sure how to flip it over solo. Sounds like it can be done without a pulley system just tough. Thanks cnelk.

It's actually easy to flip it over with the gutless method, the long legs have good leverage. If you turn the head first with the antlers there is nothing to get hung up on. Forget to turn the head and you can get some torque on the neck that can get you with antlers if it releases.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a big guy and elk are big animals so its more about managing effort and making the task as easy and efficient as possible. So I let each situation dictate what I do.

I agree with Coveyleader that a dead elk in a nasty spot will be a challenge solo. My first solo elk died in the midst of a semi steep pecker pole jungle, wedged between several trees. Managing it solo and in the dark was a royal pain in the a$$. Couple this with warm early season temps and hi Griz density just compounded the difficulty as I didn't have time to screw around. I needed it done as quick as possible.

It's definitely doable solo and if the situation permits, I prefer gutless. It has nothing to do with mess, I just prefer to keep the gut bag contained where it is and not have to work around after it's removed.

You may need some cordage (550 is great) if your elk is on a steep incline and moving it to a flatter spot is not possible.

Last edited:
Guess I'm just old. So for the old method - I position the head of the elk uphill so gravity works for me. In many places I have to tie it to a tree to keep it from sliding down the hill. Then I pull the guts out.

To me the next step is important. I pull the elk downhill about 100 plus feet from the gut pile. That gives my competition something to chew on while I am moving my meat. I pick a spot between a couple trees 3-6 ft apart and tie a 3-4 inch crosspole on them as high as I can reach with the parachord or baling twine I have in my vest. Then I cut off the lower legs at the joints, cut another crosspole for a gimble and attach the pole to the elk as a spreader and support. Then I connect a block and tackle (4 pulley system) between the two. I pull the elk off the ground to the upper crosspole, split the skin down the back to the third rib. I then saw it in half to the third rib and then cut the quarters off at that point. I lower the hind quarters and lay them on some logs to keep them clean.

Then I cut holes between the ribs, two ribs down and reattach the gimble and raise the other half of the elk to the upper poles and repeat to where I cut the neck off.

At this point I have four free quarters with the hide on. I have two options. If my horses are close, I load the fronts on one horse and the hinds on the other and walk out.

If not, I use the block and tackle to raise each quarter up and tie them to the crosspole until I can pack them out by horse or back. I prefer the former.

If I have to leave for the night, I try to pee on trees surrounding the meat, leave an article of clothing for scent and tie flagging that will flutter in the wind above them. The scent buys me time from the coyotes and ground pests. They should be happy removing the gut pile. The flagging gives caution to the birds. I can usually buy a day from all of them except maybe a brave camp robber (gray jay).

I should note that the trees you pick should be visible from a safe distance so if you have a property dispute with a bear, you won't be surprised.

I find by splitting the front quarters, it allows them to cool and they don't sour on the bone as they can over night on the ground or even on poles in places where the early season nights are warm such as archery season.

When I get home, I skin the quarters, scrub them down, dry them and wrap them in sheets so they can breath and store them in a cool dark place until I can cut them up. It's usually so cold they are frozen by morning.

I should note that when it is cold, I will skin the hind legs down to the meat and the tie the skin back while hanging because once the skin freezes its a bugger to thaw.

When I leave a site all I leave is a head, a gut pile and 4 lower legs. Everything else goes with me on the way out.

This system has worked for 59 seasons so it is unlikely that I will change. I learned it one mistake at a time.

Freeride

FNG
Paracord is lightweight, and will hold up elk quarters.

I move them all away from the elk and hang them while I hike the other ones away.

Viper*6

FNG
Yep. Man handle it
Ive done a ton of elk solo.
Learn the gutless method. Easy Peasy for one guy.
I can quarter an elk up in about 45 mins by myself

The hardest part is rolling the elk over to do the other side
What he said works great!

I’m hopefully headed to Colorado for my first archery elk hunt solo this fall. I was wondering how everyone quarters up an elk solo. Do you use lightweight pulleys? Or a lightweight wench? Or do you just try and man handle it? Thanks for any advice in advance.
I just do it… in the process I have learned some little tricks to make it more efficient, but never really thought about it, or brought extra rigging to mess with

I'm very meticulous with my knife and it takes me quite awhile to break one down alone but there's not much left for the magpies when I'm done.

I start at the back of the neck and cut the hide to the tailbone. Then, perpendicular down the back edge of the front quarter and skin it out. I do my cut along the spine from neck to the rear quarter.

Next, I fillet off the front taking the whole brisket, neck, and as much rib meat as possible in one go.

Back strap is easy.

After skinning, work the top of the rear first. Then, put the leg over your shoulder while you do the underside.

Now, that entire side is done. Reach in behind the last rib and work the tenderloin loose. A little knife work sets it free. Cut a couple of the front ribs loose from the sternum and go in for the heart.

When you're done, the tongue is easily removed by cutting along inside the lower jaw.

I haven't found them so hard to flip but I keep a small pulley and some mule tape for some day when I need it.

Admittedly, my back is usually smoked from working bent over.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Manhandle and pray they end up on a nice bench for you and not upside down wrapped around a tree or in a massive ball wrapped around the rack laying in a mass of tag alders🥰 i Go the slow and steady route one piece at a time so as to not make a mistake with my knife and enjoy the moment…nice landing versus bad and my preferred method big belly sag bulls make you work 💯once you go solo and have success you learn quick how to make things easier…never shot a cow I hear they are lighter🤣🤙just a few favs from times past…ps this is when you walk up to them and go hmmm he is bigger than a deer

Attachments

• 6552E2CD-C556-4DE7-887B-5A067F4902B8.jpeg
    6552E2CD-C556-4DE7-887B-5A067F4902B8.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 2778519A-C0A9-454C-B313-52FBFAD63ACB.jpeg
    2778519A-C0A9-454C-B313-52FBFAD63ACB.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 137
  • B9CFC0CF-AEAD-41C4-9368-B89BEF9D2FED.jpeg
    B9CFC0CF-AEAD-41C4-9368-B89BEF9D2FED.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 0692F7F3-0C02-4EC6-B932-E848C17C4332.jpeg
    0692F7F3-0C02-4EC6-B932-E848C17C4332.jpeg
    565.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Solo is no issue if you know what your're doing. I will say, if they get in a real bad spot, then you will wish you had a second person, or at little pulley system.

Case in point, not sure I have the photo, I shot one it rolled down the hill and there was a tree that fell that had to be 25 inches in diameter or more. It was off the ground about 2-2/12 feet and that elk rolled right under it and stopped right there. It was a nightmare.

If you kill one in real steep, I mean the stuff where he doesn't stay, that can be a challenge as well alone.

Also recognize an average elk here in CO isn't that big. There is a huge difference between a big bull, and your average raghorn or cow. They are two different critters.
I remember killing one on a really steep slope and got hung up in a root wad when it died… that one was a pain in the ass

Besides that one, I have probably broke down 15ish roosies by myself and nothing notable besides that one.. I ended up dumping the guts after the first side so I could un-wedge It so I could get the other side done

So everyone pumps the tires on the gutless method. What am I miss out on? Minus getting a little bloody cutting the esophagus, I don't feel the guts have ever complicated the matter and it makes the animal lighter and easier to work with. Learn me!
Gutting is just an unnecessary step to me… nothing special about gutless, I just have no reason and think it’s the most dangerous aspect of hunting cutting the windpipe blind… especially on an elk… I don’t pack a saw so I don’t open the brisket when gutting

It’s just an exercise of efficiency to me, I want to get the elk broken down and moving towards my pickup ASAP

S.Clancy

WKR
I've quartered a bunch of elk solo, including some big bulls. My average time is 1.5-2 hrs between first knife stroke and pack on. Most elk aren't bad solo, but if you get a 7+ yr old bull on the ground that weighs 800 lbs, it is hard. I just manhandle it, make sure you keep the legs long so you can utilize the extra leverage. You can cut the lower leg off the removed quarter later.

Outside of that, BE CAREFUL. Solo elk quartering is the closest I've come to cutting myself really bad.

Coues123

FNG
Having done a few solo only minutes after seeing a Grizz just out of Yellowstone Park is way different than other states. You spend more time looking around than looking at what you are doing. That hour seems like a half day for sure. I've done 30+ over the years solo. It's about using that quarter to your advantage. In the SW I pull my shirt off so it doesn't get bloody and when I'm done only a spot or two of blood on my pants and shoes. Others have given all the techniques I use. Necessity is the mother of all experience.

I have just man handled them but I can absolutely see situations where it could be dam near impossible like having it wedged under dead fall or root balls.

I have done the last seven or eight solo and I'm only 5' 10" / 150 lb stick figure. Gutless allows me to get the weight down enough to where if I have to roll something over I can. Paranoid or dyneema is great if the damn thing dies on a slope...you don't want a elk rack sliding into your stomach. Space blanket for laying stuff out. Biggest problem is when they get wedged between trees and stuff like that. Don't worry about how long it takes....go slow it is hard work you will get tired and getting sloppy with a Havalon is a really bad idea. Agree with 1.5 - 2 hours to get broken down, in bags and moving down the trail. Snack constantly while solo packing it out so you don't bonk. Think realistically about how far in your hunting, what the weather is doing and are you in good enough shape to do 3 loads or 5.

87TT

WKR
Granted they weren't giant elk but my mind said three trips but afterwards my body said, "what the hell were you thinking?????????? you're not twenty or even 60 anymore".

ZMax62

FNG
you can make a simple block and tackle out of paracord and 3 small steel rings a little bit bigger than key rings