Solo hot tent and condensation.... What tent million dollar????

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a solo shelter and stove combo however I'm really wondering how bad the condensation gets on the shelters without a liner on the tipi style tents? Is it worth it to bump up to say a SO 4man with half liner? This would be used primarily during CO 2nd and 3rd seasons and occaisonally with 2 ppl however I could always just get a different tent for those times I go with another person. I would like space to dry clothes off etc. I'm 5' 11" 160#. I like the 4man concept of being able to actually kinda stand and the liner however is the weight worth those features to those who have expereince using it vs say a cimmarron?

As far as stoves go I've been looking at lightoutdoors 18" or Seek Outsides Large stove I like the option of the longer stoves to burn longer wood.

As far as tents go

Vertex 5 & 6.5

SO LBO, Cimarron, & 4man with liner.

I'm open to any suggestions anyone has. I feel like I would like a little extra space to stretch out and actually hang out in especially since those seasons are 9 days I think by day 7 with cold temps and snow living like a sardine in a can with the minimal space I could get away with would get old fast.

Partner and I ran a MegaTarp and 18" LiteOutdoors stove last year and it was excellent. Light weight, space for us, Gear, and stove, quick set up, and bombproof. Only "issue" we had with the set up was the "crawling in" part. We've decided to try a Tut 4man and Smith Cylinder stove for this season. So far it's been great. More upright room inside, no crawling in, room for 2, stove and gear, quick set up etc. haven't found any downsides yet. Only change I would make would be to add a little bit of size to the Tut. Can't remember the weight of the Mega and LO stove but the 4# Tut (all in) and 2# Smith stove is well worth the weight for us.

***The custom size 4 man tipi that Live2hunt makes would be the replacement for the current Tut we have.

mlob1one

WKR
I love my SO LBO and have done an 8 day hunt solo. When using a stove condensation has never been an issue for me regardless of precip. With two guys, condensation will accumulate when the stove is not lit. I don't have experience with a liner.
Good luck on your search.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
O

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I love my SO LBO and have done an 8 day hunt solo. When using a stove condensation has never been an issue for me regardless of precip. With two guys, condensation will accumulate when the stove is not lit. I don't have experience with a liner.
Good luck on your search.

Thats good to hear the LBO was one I have been looking really hard at for a solo shelter. What size stove are you running in it?

I just bought the SO LBO w/ 3 piece vestibule and stove jack after doing a ton of research. I think it would serve you pretty well as well and also affords you the ability to expand if you decided to hunt with 2+.

mlob1one

WKR
Thats good to hear the LBO was one I have been looking really hard at for a solo shelter. What size stove are you running in it?
I run the kifaru Smith cylinder, but if I had to do over again, I'd probably purchase the lite outdoors cylinder because I really like the door design and ability to cook on it despite the weight penalty.

dog812

WKR
I also picked up a lbo, vest. And connecting tarp. So many options. I have yet to use it, but seems like it'll be great.
7e090b3cbac2afe1c90c3447ad117f19.jpg
16c8a29e9e4c309165ee8982bc730db4.jpg

bcimport

WKR
Condensation happens, depending on the pitch and humidity sometimes more, sometimes less. I haven't ever felt like it was a big deal and I live in BC where it's very wet. Worst case scenario is when the condensation is bad and wind is shaking the tent. I usually always have a water resistant bivy with me that I'll slide the bag or quilt into in that situation. You can also just shove the bottom half of your sleeping bag in your pack or a garbage bag and lay your rain jacket over your torso. A tent or tipi isn't a house and condensation really isn't the boogeyman everyone makes it out to be.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm in the market for a solo shelter and stove combo however I'm really wondering how bad the condensation gets on the shelters without a liner on the tipi style tents? Is it worth it to bump up to say a SO 4man with half liner? This would be used primarily during CO 2nd and 3rd seasons and occaisonally with 2 ppl however I could always just get a different tent for those times I go with another person. I would like space to dry clothes off etc. I'm 5' 11" 160#. I like the 4man concept of being able to actually kinda stand and the liner however is the weight worth those features to those who have expereince using it vs say a cimmarron?

As far as stoves go I've been looking at lightoutdoors 18" or Seek Outsides Large stove I like the option of the longer stoves to burn longer wood.

As far as tents go

Vertex 5 & 6.5

SO LBO, Cimarron, & 4man with liner.

I'm open to any suggestions anyone has. I feel like I would like a little extra space to stretch out and actually hang out in especially since those seasons are 9 days I think by day 7 with cold temps and snow living like a sardine in a can with the minimal space I could get away with would get old fast.

If you plan to backpack with it the Cimarron is a great one person hot shelter combo. The 4 person tipi is also a great solo hot tent combo. Whether you need a loner depends on your tolerance for moisture buildup really. If the ground is really saturated and it gets cold at night you are going to get a fair bit of condensation and it will drip/run down the tent. The larger the tent the more it's an issue due to surface area. A liner is nice if you don't mind the added weight or are car camping.

In terms of space, the Cimarron is pretty big for one person, but you won't be able to stand up. You'll have plenty of room to lounge. It all depends on the trade offs you want to make. More comfort = more weight!

Good luck making a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a jimmy tarps tipi...light, relatively inexpensive, and works great with a stove. Still field testing but very happy thus far. As with any single wall, there is condensation under certain conditions that are minimized and virtually eliminated with stove use. That being said, there is plenty of room and height so condensation is not an issue...as previously posted above-it ain't the boogy man. I think you could get up to three people in a pinch with gear, 2 no problem with a stove, and awesome for solo application.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Whip1

FNG
I use the Supertarp with the small stove. Light, heats up nicely and is plenty big for all my gear and me. It's not a two man. Just my 2.