Solo Hunting Podcast: Your Questions

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alright team -

Going to record a solo hunting podcast coming up. Would like to gather some questions from all of you to include. Thanks!

CorbLand

WKR
Day 3? Man we are discussing plans on the hike in. They normally stop talking back around day 3. LOL
It only becomes a problem when they have different voices and its definitely a problem if they speak a different language.

Luxury Items.. How many do you bring?
Luxury item being defined as something that has absolutely zero practical reason of being there but you're willing to pack it in/out because you really like/want it. Example being maybe a bottle of booze

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
Mental game - First solo hunt vs later on with multiple solo hunts under the belt.
What did, or did not, change? What would you say to yourself if you could go back and give yourself advice right before your first solo hunt?

Ten Bears

WKR
I hunt solo on most of my hunts. Where I have struggled with archery elk is getting into the right position for a shot when calling solo. Would love to hear how some approach it, especially in thick deadfall or when a bull is coming fast.

Safety precautions that should be heightened that's not considered or not a factor when hunting with others.

Great topic! I solo hunted last year for 7 days but only did day hunts and went back to a camp. This year I'm planning on more packing in for 2-3 days at a time.

Rip a predator call by yourself when spring bear hunting? I can't keep my head from spinning a 180 every 15 seconds. Duct tape around the forehead to a tree?

svivian

WKR
I think packouts and keeping meat cool during archery season should be discussed.

Also agree about discussing how some go about setting up to call in a bull solo as that is usually the biggest challenge when a bull gets hung up just behind some trees.

Quartering an elk or deer by yourself after dark in griz country is not fun 😬
What do you do to make this less creepy? Especially an elk. Time is a factor and rushing is dangerous.

Last edited:

bozeman

WKR
Maybe a spin on it: you see videos that start with, ‘your probably wandering how I got here/in this situation, let me go back and start at the beginning’. Maybe one for a successful hunt and one for a disastrous/disappointing hunt and point which key decisions made the hunt go that way…….

Did this podcast ever get posted? I was just going through looking for solo hunting stuff and saw this. I don’t remember listening to it, but I listen to a lot.