Solo hunting

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey guys I hunt here in western and northern pa. Also looking to go out of state this year if family time allows. I only hunt public or a few places I have permission. I always hunt by myself usually pretty far from my house. I’ve always have drugged deer out or called friends or family for help. I do process my own meat so I guess 1/4 and packing out would be that big of a deal but I run a small pack and a lone wolf stand with Molle straps. I hunt pretty far in most of the time. Or in thick cover. Shot a buck last year 3 miles in. My question to you guys is should I just start packing out my deer or should I make some sort of cart to wheel them out? Thanks

Elkhntr08

WKR
None it, pack it out. Less crap to drag in with you and only 1 round trip.

RafterH

FNG
Where I hunt it not too far from the truck, but is very broken. I used to use a game cart. Too much trouble. Then I went to a wheel barrow. Easier but still a pain in that country. Now I quarter and pack it out. With a well built pack that fits, this is one trip. And dragging really bites in my opinion.

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely pack it out. I'm impressed you're willing to drag one 3 miles. I shot a buck last year in northern MO and only had to drag him maybe 600 yards and that sucked PLENTY.

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah I definitely think I’ll be packing out this year. Dragging that buck last year was bruttle. Definitely broke me down. I guess I could just throw the meat in game bags toss in my pack with some contractor bags or even try and use the seat on my stand as a shelf

Don't use contractor bags. You have to let the meat breath if you don't want it to spoil.

Probably better off getting a pack that can haul some weight. You don't have to get the 'best' pack since in reality you might pack out a whitetail once or twice a year and it isn't bad.

Cooms320

FNG
Hey guys I hunt here in western and northern pa. Also looking to go out of state this year if family time allows. I only hunt public or a few places I have permission. I always hunt by myself usually pretty far from my house. I’ve always have drugged deer out or called friends or family for help. I do process my own meat so I guess 1/4 and packing out would be that big of a deal but I run a small pack and a lone wolf stand with Molle straps. I hunt pretty far in most of the time. Or in thick cover. Shot a buck last year 3 miles in. My question to you guys is should I just start packing out my deer or should I make some sort of cart to wheel them out? Thanks
backpack

North Central PA here. I process bone in, in the field and pack out. My first load is the loose meat in my small pack strapped to my stand. I then take my big pack and go in for the four quarters and head the second load. I'm pretty sure I could do a doe in one trip out.

wyodan

WKR
Pack it! Easily the best way. If I have a light weight pack on, I will grab a quarter and some loose meat. Then go get the rest with a more substantial pack. I only quarter, I do not debone.

Lowg08

WKR
I bought everything I needed to pack out no more dragging here either