Solo travel across country

Terrapin

WKR
I have a buddy that drove ~20 hours to rifle hunt antelope. Got out here, hunted for an hour. Shot, gutted and processed a nice buck. Turned around and drove home. Never even unpacked his camping gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add up your gas, food p, etc, for 5+ days of driving and you probably can fly and rent a car at your destination, even with some extra baggage fees. Makes packing a bit of a pain but it can be done. If you can figure out a way to freeze meat on the other end, it is easy to get 40-50# in the right soft cooler. I do carry-on in a hopper with deer and pheasant as well as fish. I get some strange looks but it has never been a show stopper.

I'd probably fly for an antelope as well.
You could also fly out and drive home if you tag out goat and deer.
Don't let driving scare ya.
I drive 12-16 4-5 times a month and have done several 24-34 hr 1 way trips.
Idk why everyone makes it such a big deal.
I'll work a 12 hr day then jump in car and drive 12-14 home, take care of the lady, 3 hrs sleep jump in truck and head out on a hunt.
It's not a big deal, just go on your hunt.

Beendare

WKR
I've done 12 to 19 hour drives solo.

I weigh a few factors;

Is it worth having my own vehicle....ease of bringing meat home?

Do I want my quad along? [others might want motorcycle, side by side, horses, etc- those don't fly well- grin]

Some areas are a PITA to fly too....you can't get to an airport close enough without paying a fortune....and flying to a major airport, then renting a vehicle puts me at over 1/3rd the time of just driving.

Even when I drive with a buddy, we plug in an Audio book and it makes the drive more enjoyable.

_____

Laramie

WKR
I would drive but I enjoy cross country trips. There is a good chance you tag out in the first day or two. That will leave you 2-3 days to either take your time in the drive home or to go scout different areas/species. If you fly, make a good plan for the meat to sit there 4-5 days while you wait for your return flight home. My furthest solo hunt was 28 hours. To me the key in staying fresh on a trip like that is to do short stops every 200-300 miles.

Lawnboi

WKR
I often drive 12-20 hours. I try to keep the drive in mostly daylight. A 32 hour drive would be a 2-3 day event for me. Any less and it would be unsafe IMO. Like said above all would need minimum 2 weeks to justify that kind of a trip.

JohnnyB

WKR
I drive to Montana twice a year to hunt. Spring is around 20 hours and fall around 16 hours. Audiobooks are something I look forward too. I try to time it so I can arrive around noon and take a short nap, then go out and check the area that evening.

Jet4

FNG
I drive 16 hrs one way. While it's a bitch to do alone, the hunt is worth it. But I also wouldn't do it for anything less than 6 full days in the field.
I drive to Montana twice a year to hunt. Spring is around 20 hours and fall around 16 hours. Audiobooks are something I look forward too. I try to time it so I can arrive around noon and take a short nap, then go out and check the area that evening.
I drive 16 hrs one way. While it's a bitch to do alone, the hunt is worth it. But I also wouldn't do it for anything less than 6 full days in the field.
I have shipped a skid ahead of time all boxed up with my stuff and I then fly. Rent a truck and pick up the skid at the freight terminal with a rental truck. They will load and unload with a forklift for you. Cheapest way to do it is to drop off and pick up at a shipping hub.
Cost about 300.-400 $$ each way from Philadelphia to Nevada

Oregon

WKR
Driven to Iowa 3 times for 1st shotgun season. 28 hours, 5 day hunt. Sucks donkey balls.
drive til I’m tired, sleep in rest stop. Get there next day.
How can driving possibly cut into hunt time is you get there before season opens and leave when it’s over.
Drive there never bad. Drive home is the awful part.
I’d do it every year for those pig whitetails! Cuss it every year as well

FLS

WKR
I would drive but I enjoy cross country trips. There is a good chance you tag out in the first day or two. That will leave you 2-3 days to either take your time in the drive home or to go scout different areas/species. If you fly, make a good plan for the meat to sit there 4-5 days while you wait for your return flight home. My furthest solo hunt was 28 hours. To me the key in staying fresh on a trip like that is to do short stops every 200-300 miles.
That’s what I’ve done. Use my time to learn more about the area every time I hunt.

isu22andy

WKR
Driven to Iowa 3 times for 1st shotgun season. 28 hours, 5 day hunt. Sucks donkey balls.
drive til I’m tired, sleep in rest stop. Get there next day.
How can driving possibly cut into hunt time is you get there before season opens and leave when it’s over.
Drive there never bad. Drive home is the awful part.
I’d do it every year for those pig whitetails! Cuss it every year as well

Do you have friends and family in Iowa on or you public land it ? I imagine shotgun season around my area in Iowa would be tough on public but Im curious how youve fared out .

I vote fly , book now its cheap as dirt. Then if you kill one and want to drive home just miss your flight and get a rental car and take off for home .

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We drive from Northern California to Northern Minnesota every year. The drive takes us about 30 hours one way with two drivers. I’ve done it in about 40 by myself.

This is a 2 week family visit/whitetail hunt so lots of time to rest and scout after arriving. If we didn’t stay at least a week I probably wouldn’t do it. Although I am one of those weird guys who enjoys occasional long trips.

Oregon

WKR
Do you have friends and family in Iowa on or you public land it ? I imagine shotgun season around my area in Iowa would be tough on public but Im curious how youve fared out .

I vote fly , book now its cheap as dirt. Then if you kill one and want to drive home just miss your flight and get a rental car and take off for home .

Don’t know a soul. Killed a 120” 123” and 133”. Plus 3 does each trip.
well worth it.
public.
Always by myself. Just post up and wait. Never fails. Colder than hell a couple trips. Gracious, the cold. Negative 7 one year. Flipping miserable! Deer can’t smell when that cold. Had 20 deer walk within 10 feet of me that year dressed as a pumpkin. Never even looked at me

keller

WKR
I like long road trips 18 hour drive on a whim. Wi to Kenai peninsula. Plan on driving to Newfoundland in Sep if borders open
Love the freedom of my own vehicle and not having to depend on someone else .

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
If you want to hunt, try it and see how it goes. I don't think I'd like to fly out to hunt because I like to have a lot of crap with me and don't like schedules. Even if it doesn't workout as well as you like...it's better than working or sitting at home wishing you were hunting!

MattB

WKR
Antelope are a great animal for a fly to hunt. I've packed them in my carry on bag before.

This is just me talking but no way in hell I would drive that far dor an antelope hunt.

Rich M

WKR
I've driven out 2x for 30+hr each way drives and did those in haste.

Last year took 4 hr nap on way out and 4 hr nap on way back. Was in a rental Toyota w traffic pacing technology and Mt dew. Got behind a fast semi and let the rental follow along.

Next time planning on flying.

Jet4

FNG
I looked into flying out and driving back but getting a one way rental is very expensive. They usually charge you mileage