Soooo I’m thinking about .243- few questions

bhylton

WKR
90gr AB shot well out of my wife's older vanguard 243 with a 10 twist barrel fyi. I'm thinking of dusting it off and trying a match bullet though. It shoots 95gr berger classic hunters very well too. May try a eldx or the 95gr NBT

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Does anyone have any on game experience with the 95 grain Berger Hybrid Hunters in 243? I’m wondering about the terminal performance of them?

My daughters have harvested several whitetails with 80 grain TTSX and 95 grain SST’s. All shots have been double lung hits inside of 50 yards. All deer have been recovered drama free but they typically run 50-100 yards before expiring with adequate blood to follow.

I’m wondering if the Berger’s might result in shorter tracking jobs on double lung hits with shots inside of 100 yards?
For what it’s worth we’ve shot 2 pronghorn and 3 deer so far with the 243 and the ttsx, two dropped on the spot the other 3 were <50yds. But we shoot tighter to the shoulder.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
since hunting season just ended, you've got 9 months to find some ammo and figure out what shoots best. my buddy's discount savage axis (in pink muddy girl camo no less) with a 1:9.25 twist is a laser with HSM's 87 gr VLD and obliterates deer and would do the same to elk. another buddy took his black bear with 243 and barnes ttsx. completely different bullets doing different damage, but shot placement is king so find what shoots best and figure out what the bullet is going to do and call it a day.

i plan on grabbing a 1:8 tikka 243 so i can load hammer hunters to stupid velocities. not because there's no factory load good enough, i'm just bored and work in a gun store....and my 308 roughtech is now at least 3 months old and has taken antelope, deer, and elk. time for something new that performs "better" ha

I hunted with a guy running a 243 last week and it has me intrigued. What is the recoil on one of those like? I assume it is somewhere in between a 7.62x 39 and 223 but not sure which end of the spectrum it is closer to.
I don't have experience with the 7.62x39 or .223 in bolt guns, but for my gun, the recoil is negligible. It's not zero but definitely less than my 6.5cm, which is a heavier overall package.

It is however, loud AF. I assume it's the short barrel and high velocity.

Less than 500 yards on game- 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I would also try the 95gr Sierra TMK as it might stabilize in your gun and conditions.

Just as an FYI, the person who designed the 95gr NBT (Gail Root) was a 243 and elk nut, and designed it specifically for big deer and bull elk for his use- it was a personal thing for him.

From the 6mm/. 243 thread. Based on that thread I wouldn't be worried about taking an elk with the .243. (Disclaimer: I don't have experience in the matter but the thread is pretty convincing)

95gr nbt was designed for standard 1:10 twist.
The winchester 95gr ballistic slivertip is made by Nosler. Nosler doesn't seem to load the 95gr in their ammo anymore, just the 90gr.
The winchester would be my first choice bullet to try in your new gun, followed by 90gr eldx, then 95gr federal fusions.

Sad it's not a tikka and not sure why you'd even consider anything else 😆

Good luck

Last edited:

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Gordon reloading tool (for what it’s worth) shows more like 50fps/inch cutting back a 243 from say 22.5 to 18.5” when I looked, IE 200fps. But all ears of someone has true experience.

The 80gr ttsx has worked well so far in a 1:10 22.5” Tikka for my kids and I.
GRT is the bee's knees.

OP, I have a .243 and enough brass to burn this barrel up. When I'm done with that, I'm going to rebarrel in 6CM, likely. It's what the .243 would have been given today's components and machining tolerances. Instead of 308->243, we went 308->30TC->6.5CM->6CM. The CM spec is a match chamber with an 8 twist barrel, allowing you to shoot the 103ELDX about 150fps faster than the .243 (According to my HDY 11 book, which likely has a little bias). I could go .243AI, but with little ones, my only reloading is reserved for match shooting and oddballs (375Win, .221Fireball, etc.), and the 6CM has match grade ammo on the shelf.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I had a .243 a looong time ago. Seized it during a spotlighting case, the judge (after a guilty plea) gave it to the department. I got it to use it in my patrol truck, as at the time the department didn’t provide us with a rifle.

It was an old Model 788 with an old 4X Weaver scope. Not a lot of money invested in this setup, but I shudder to think how many animals it killed (including a bunch by me as we were still doing a lot of kill permits at the time (deer & elk)).

Anyways that was 30+ years ago, but with all the hoopla of going to smaller calibers I thought I should consider it. While I’m not willing to trade my .308 for a .223, I thought maybe I should give a smaller caliber a try and the .243 came to mind.

I realize there are numerous newer 6mm offerings with lots of different acronyms, but I want the availability of ammo that .243 provides and a caliber that will likely still be around 20 years from now.

With all that said, I’ve found a rifle I’m interested in- sorry it’s not a Tika :D

I’ve had very good luck with Accubonds and see Nosler has a 90 gr bullet (and loaded ammo) in .243.

Is that a good bullet to consider? Others?

The rifle is 1:10 twist, will that work with a 90 gr bullet?

If it matters, nothing over 500 yards and realistically, nothing probably over 400 yards.

Also on my current .308, I’ve shortened it to 19” and just like the way the rifle carries/handles. It comes 22”, will I see much loss of velocity with 3” less barrel? Negligible loss with the.308.

Finally, based on my previous experience (30+ years ago) I’m pretty confident in the .243’s ability with antelope and deer; much less comfortable with elk- misplaced worry?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
What rifle are you looking at picking up in .243?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
GRT is the bee's knees.

It’s been useful playing with it and many of my loads I have historically worked up line up both in it’s velocity predictions but also match an OBT node.

BUT coincidentally not my 243win load. Its predictions for stabal 6.5 aren’t at all accurate with reality. If I run varget predictions for 243win it matches my load work with that before I moved to stabal in the end for that load.

TxxAgg

WKR
Quick question...the new stainless Tikkas show 1:8 twist in 243. Is there any downside to that vs the standard 1:10 if you're still shooting 100 gr or less bullets?

In other words is there any downside to a 1:8 243 if shooting 80-100 bullets?

BjornF16

WKR
Quick question...the new stainless Tikkas show 1:8 twist in 243. Is there any downside to that vs the standard 1:10 if you're still shooting 100 gr or less bullets?

There is no downside to shooting 80-100 gr bullets in 8” twist

I bought my wife a 700 cdl Boone and Crockett in 243 for a wedding gift.
I've found that bullet selection for deer is super critical. The only bullets have had good luck with are the Nosler Accubonds followed by the Ballistic Tips.

The Hornady SST's were junk. They were too soft and couldn't punch through bone. The wife and I had to chase down this buck and it was a really bad cluster fluck to finally put him down. The bullets basically exploded on his shoulder bone. And I do love me some Hornady.

Lost a doe with the Federal Sierra game kings.

But the Accubonds seem to do the best.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Its absolutely horrible, you should immediately remove the barrel and trade it for my 1:10twist. ;)

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I've found that bullet selection for deer is super critical. The only bullets have had good luck with are the Nosler Accubonds followed by the Ballistic Tips.

The Hornady SST's were junk. They were too soft and couldn't punch through bone. The wife and I had to chase down this buck and it was a really bad cluster fluck to finally put him down. The bullets basically exploded on his shoulder bone. And I do love me some Hornady.

Every deer I've shot with the .243 was with $11/bx (2004-2008ish) Winchester Power Points. Every one exited from straight lung shots to shoulder shots. I do have a box of those 90gr ABs to load up.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

That’s very odd you say that about the sst. Not saying you are wrong just saying it’s strange because I have shot at least 20 deer with sst and seen a lot more than that shot with them bc everyone in my family uses 243 with sst and I punched both shoulders on almost every deer and never had anything but very impressive results. You can go look at some of my pictures that I posted in the 243 success thread.

That’s very odd you say that about the sst. Not saying you are wrong just saying it’s strange because I have shot at least 20 deer with sst and seen a lot more than that shot with them bc everyone in my family uses 243 with sst and I punched both shoulders on almost every deer and never had anything but very impressive results. You can go look at some of my pictures that I posted in the 243 success thread.
I’ve blasted about a dozen deer and antelope with 117 SSTs from a 25-05, they are deadly. All the critters dropped in their tracks even with a few shots that were less than stellar.

My 243 is cut at 22". Shooting 105Amax at 2925 out of a Shilen Match barrel. Very accurate, but the muzzle blast is way worse than anything else I shoot.

I would go 6CM as you had to handload the 243 to get exactly what the 6CM offers at not bad prices.

10/10 would have gotten a 6CM if it was offered when i went down the 243 rabbit hole.

TSnave

FNG
Been using a 6mm Remington in a Ruger No. 1 in central MT for years to harvest deer and antelope. Basically the same thing as a 243. Nosler 95 Ballistic Tips, longest shot about 410, closest about 30. Everything I've pointed it at has fallen down. That said, I've not pointed it at an elk and I doubt I ever will. Not in my personal comfort zone, y'know?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
With all that said, I’ve found a rifle I’m interested in- sorry it’s not a Tika :D

Sad it's not a tikka and not sure why you'd even consider anything else 😆

Good luck

What rifle are you looking at picking up in .243?

Well I just may have to eat my words :ROFLMAO:

I found a good deal online for a Kimber Hunter in .243 (own a .308 Hunter and love it); Kimber in their infinite wisdom has cut their Hunter offerings to just two- 6.5 and .308. Well after a little digging, it turns out the online retailer appears to be a scammer :(

Soooo... with that said I'm now looking at Tikka's :D

SloppyJ

WKR
As I'm finishing up my 300prc I keep finding myself thinking about building an 18" 6 creed for some tight woods deer hunting. It would also double as a great rifle for my two sons to start out on.

I have a Win. Model 100 in 243 but i can't thread it and it needs some extractor work. Even so, when I fix it, I can't suppress it and it's not the most accurate being an old semi auto. My sons will use it to hunt but it won't be their main rifle.

As I start pricing the build in my head I keep winding back up on the fact that the Tikka .243 now comes in 1:8 and I can get one of the roughtech models in 20" and I think that's where I'll land. Put a 108 Berger in that thing and let her eat. I imagine all thoughts of a 6creed would go away at that point.