Source for High-Quality Physical Topo Maps?

Anyone here got any tips on finding high-quality printed maps with smaller scale - something you might use for just a small segment of a mountain range, or a smaller segment of a hunt zone, that has really good detail?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Have them custom printed. Topozone does this, if you have the maps digitally, your local printer can likely make some for you.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
You make custom 7.5 minute topo maps from USGS then get them professionally printed on some weather-resistant paper. Or you can go the cheap route and throw regular paper in a waterproof map case that you can mark up.

ElkNut1

WKR
Here's what I have done & still do. I'm pretty frugal! (grin) You want 1-24000 USGS UTM Grid 7.5 minute Topo Maps, these are what Surveyors use for ground navigation. I buy mine from the town closest to the Hardware stores where I'm planning my hunt. Most run 8-10 each, generally takes 4 maps to cover my entire area & then some.

I then take 2"-3" clear packing tape & tape both sides, it's a piece a cake at 3-5 minutes for both sides. They are now waterproof & fold & unfold nicely & are very resilient to any weather. I have some that are 15 years old & still perform perfectly with not much money spent!

ElkNut

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Caltopo.com and a sheaf of rite in the rain paper. Haven't bought a physical quad in a decade.

Edited for detail: it has FS topos and quads + aerial imagery, and then you can print your own custom maps from it. Super useful.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Here's what I have done & still do. I'm pretty frugal! (grin) You want 1-24000 USGS UTM Grid 7.5 minute Topo Maps, these are what Surveyors use for ground navigation. I buy mine from the town closest to the Hardware stores where I'm planning my hunt. Most run 8-10 each, generally takes 4 maps to cover my entire area & then some.

I then take 2"-3" clear packing tape & tape both sides, it's a piece a cake at 3-5 minutes for both sides. They are now waterproof & fold & unfold nicely & are very resilient to any weather. I have some that are 15 years old & still perform perfectly with not much money spent!

ElkNut

Do the same tape trick. Very easy, durable, and cheap.

A local engineering, architectural, surveyor supply store can print and laminate them. Or they might have them on hand ready to purchase. For example, western Montana has Selby’s.

Southeast

FNG
I have a drawer full of custom maps from Mytopo.com. Have used them since about 2007.

Durable, waterproof paper - rolled or folded. Your name comes printed right on them so people that "permanently borrow" them can always feel a little guilty when they open them up. Yes, I'm a little bitter about that happening over and over!