Source for binocular education

DMTJAGER

FNG
Classified Approved
Been doing a great deal of binocular research and the more I research the more I get confused.
I feel it best to educate myself VS bothering everyone with yet another "what's the best bino for under $$$$" post.
Can anyone suggest a source that I can read or even a book I can buy that will educate me on the latest optical technologies so I can differentiate between hype and actual fact?

My optics/binoculars knowledge base is definitely dated as Last time I really researched binocular technologies was when I bought my made in Japan Leupold Wind River 10x42's back in the mid 1990's.
I ask because I have done multiple search's on HD VS ED glass in binoculars in an attempt to educate myself on what both are and what are and their differences, advantages and disadvantages and I have read article's at WS's that are supposed optics experts that vary from saying ED is significantly superior to HD for image quality to other articles saying the image improvements of HD and ED glass are essentially equal only thing that defernites the two is what aspect of the image they improve and lastly I've read articles claiming there is essentially no difference and ED and HD are interchangeable terms.

I already have a good grasp and understanding of the significance of terms like "fully multi-coated" and the advantages of a AK prisms VS SP and how lens numbers and coatings matter in image quality, just looking for a source to clear up my confusion on HD VS ED lenses and what also must be done to a binocular to maximize the benefits of using HD or ED glass and be able to separate the truth from opinion or hype.

Not looking to become a optics expert just become knowledgeable enough to make a solidly informed purchase based on fact not hype and avoid byers remorse.

Mojave

WKR
Google binocular buyers guide. He is a South African who runs the biggest binocular review on the internet.

Another good source is the youtube channel owned by the Slovenian company Optics Trade. They have tons of education videos on optics, reviews and information.

OP
D

DMTJAGER

FNG
Classified Approved
Google binocular buyers guide. He is a South African who runs the biggest binocular review on the internet.

Another good source is the youtube channel owned by the Slovenian company Optics Trade. They have tons of education videos on optics, reviews and information.
Thank you will do.

eamyrick

WKR

This is one of the best podcasts I have heard on the subject from the gents over at Journal of Mountain Hunting.

A few take aways. There are only a few glass manufacturers and they make the best binos. Anyone else is just trying to keep up. There stuff may be fine for you but if I’m gonna look through glass for hours a day for a week I want the best I can afford.

Of the main players, Swaro, Leica, Zeiss….There is an element of user preference as far as image. One is not necessarily better but they are different (color/contrast etc)

OP
D

DMTJAGER

FNG
Classified Approved

This is one of the best podcasts I have heard on the subject from the gents over at Journal of Mountain Hunting.

A few take aways. There are only a few glass manufacturers and they make the best binos. Anyone else is just trying to keep up. There stuff may be fine for you but if I’m gonna look through glass for hours a day for a week I want the best I can afford.

Of the main players, Swaro, Leica, Zeiss….There is an element of user preference as far as image. One is not necessarily better but they are different (color/contrast etc)
Thank you for your advice. I agree 100% Swaro can not be beat. I got to use a pair of 10x42 Swao SLC's on an elk hunt once and I understand what you mean. But with two sons heading off to collage in the fall both needing cars etc etc etc I can afford <$700 a pair of non top top-tier binos, but anything much over $700 I can not.
I also feel bino makers like Maven, GPO, and even Meopta and Zeiss recognized a viable market of hunters like myself that want great binos but can't swing much over $1k-$1.3K. I could be wrong because I've never done a side by side in the field comparison but from the literally dozens and dozens of evaluations I've seen posted here and other places binos in the $1k-$1300 price range gets you awfully close to Swaro performance for about 1/2 the cost, even less if you wait for sales or close outs.
Like to add 90% of my hinting now is east of the Mississippi for deer and turkey. I hunt out west only every 3-5 years now.
And yes I did listen to the entire podcast you recommended. Great and very informative.

Last edited:

eamyrick

WKR
Thank you for your advice. I agree 100% Swaro can not be beat. I got to use a pair of 10x42 Swao SLC's on an elk hunt once and I understand what you mean. But with two sons heading off to collage in the fall both needing cars etc etc etc I can afford <$700 a pair of non top top-tier binos, but anything much over $700 I can not.
I also feel bino makers like Maven, GPO, and even Meopta and Zeiss recognized a viable market of hunters like myself that want great binos but can't swing much over $1k-$1.3K. I could be wrong because I've never done a side by side in the field comparison but from the literally dozens and dozens of evaluations I've seen posted here and other places binos in the $1k-$1300 price range gets you awfully close to Swaro performance for about 1/2 the cost, even less if you wait for sales or close outs.
Like to add 90% of my hinting now is east of the Mississippi for deer and turkey. I hunt out west only every 3-5 years now.
And yes I did listen to the entire podcast you recommended. Great and very informative.
Good deal. I use Swaro SLC 10x42 and agree I can’t imagine doing better, and I could buy whatever is out there now. I’ve spent some time with Meopta and I think you would be happy. I also bought a buddy some Zeiss for retirement through Doug at Cameraland and he was over the moon.

Hagas4all

FNG
I would try and find a used set of 8x42 Zeiss conquest. I have had the 10x42 and they were very good clarity and color.

OP
D

DMTJAGER

FNG
Classified Approved
I would try and find a used set of 8x42 Zeiss conquest. I have had the 10x42 and they were very good clarity and color.
Was all set to do so when I found out the Zeiss "Lifetime transferable warranty" is honored strictly at Zeiss's discression. There is a post here detailing Zeiss first admitting the major defect/issue with a persons Zeiss optic was essentially the fault of Zeiss and in no way the owners fault but Zeiss still wouldn't replace it. Now that would be rather upsetting but understandable if it were a $150-$200 scope, but this was a very costly optic and worse the defect was clearly the fault of Zeiss and they still didn't do right by the customer.
Link to thread:

OP
D

DMTJAGER

FNG
Classified Approved
The best resources to learn and compare binoculars are birding forums and blogs. They are way more analytical and objective than most hunting forums.
Thank you for reaffirming and reminding what I knew but had forgotten about birding forum optics evaluations.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider

Would you mind posting the link to that site? I’m just getting a bunch of ads when I google binoculars buyers guide. Thanks!

bozeman

WKR
+100 on birding forums....also, for that price range a Leupold Santium 5 is tough to beat...I have a set of 10X42 and they have served me well....will keep those until I get a Noctivid or NL....saving $$ for now......

Making this way too hard.

Identify your use case(s) and any other needs. Don't give a rat's booty about wording that vendors use to make their products sound awesome.

Go look to a local sporting goods store and look through the binoculars that match your use case(s) and needs. Do it during the day time, do it again late in the afternoon, and again at dusk (ideally they'll let you go outside). Scratch off anything that your eyes do not like. Look at doing some demos (ex: maven) and do the same.

Every single one of us have different eyes that have different preferences. While one person may prefer a warm hue another could prefer a cool blue hue.

What the experts claim is not always correct nor always the right decision. Most folks will agree the NL Pure binoculars are awesome. However, is a person better off buying a pair for $3300 and have the "best" or would the same person be better off buying "lesser" SLCs for $1200-$1400 and a Kowa 55x for $1400? Comes back to the person's use case(s) and needs.

jonboy

FNG
Birding forums. Hands down. That demographic uses their binoculars year-round under every condition. So many hunters only look through their binoculars two weeks a year

Been doing a great deal of binocular research and the more I research the more I get confused.
I feel it best to educate myself VS bothering everyone with yet another "what's the best bino for under $$$$" post.
Can anyone suggest a source that I can read or even a book I can buy that will educate me on the latest optical technologies so I can differentiate between hype and actual fact?

My optics/binoculars knowledge base is definitely dated as Last time I really researched binocular technologies was when I bought my made in Japan Leupold Wind River 10x42's back in the mid 1990's.
I ask because I have done multiple search's on HD VS ED glass in binoculars in an attempt to educate myself on what both are and what are and their differences, advantages and disadvantages and I have read article's at WS's that are supposed optics experts that vary from saying ED is significantly superior to HD for image quality to other articles saying the image improvements of HD and ED glass are essentially equal only thing that defernites the two is what aspect of the image they improve and lastly I've read articles claiming there is essentially no difference and ED and HD are interchangeable terms.

I already have a good grasp and understanding of the significance of terms like "fully multi-coated" and the advantages of a AK prisms VS SP and how lens numbers and coatings matter in image quality, just looking for a source to clear up my confusion on HD VS ED lenses and what also must be done to a binocular to maximize the benefits of using HD or ED glass and be able to separate the truth from opinion or hype.

Not looking to become a optics expert just become knowledgeable enough to make a solidly informed purchase based on fact not hype and avoid byers remorse.
Optics education without a hard sale? Contact Cody at GoHunt for well balanced optics education and options to suit your budget and needs.