South Africa

OP
norcal7.3

norcal7.3

Lil-Rokslider
Small update, will be hunting the first week of June in 2025. Has anyone hunted SA or more specifically Limpopo during this time of year? I was just curious of what I can expect with weather and what to pack.

I was also wondering about the various rules/laws about wearing camouflage clothing. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on that. I probably have adequate clothing for such a trip, but any excuse for new hunting gear is a good thing to me.

I have decided to take my own rifles, and use a service to help get all the paperwork through. It seems well worth the investment to me.

One thing I am still unsure of is dip/pack vs taxidermy there. Everyone who has responded in this thread has been overwhelmingly in the camp of having taxidermy done here. From what I have gathered from folks from Africahunting forum, is to have it done there. I'm leaning more towards dip/pack, but can easily be persuaded either direction.

Small update, will be hunting the first week of June in 2025. Has anyone hunted SA or more specifically Limpopo during this time of year? I was just curious of what I can expect with weather and what to pack.

I was also wondering about the various rules/laws about wearing camouflage clothing. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on that. I probably have adequate clothing for such a trip, but any excuse for new hunting gear is a good thing to me.

I have decided to take my own rifles, and use a service to help get all the paperwork through. It seems well worth the investment to me.

One thing I am still unsure of is dip/pack vs taxidermy there. Everyone who has responded in this thread has been overwhelmingly in the camp of having taxidermy done here. From what I have gathered from folks from Africahunting forum, is to have it done there. I'm leaning more towards dip/pack, but can easily be persuaded either direction.
Weather should be pretty mild. Maybe a bit cool in the mornings, definitely take a jacket. Will be warm in the afternoons. Foliage will still be on and the grass will be fairly tall. I think most species will be at some stage of the rut.

As for clothing, you can wear anything from a pink bunny suit to full ghillie. It's Africa, wear whatever you want.

Definitely a good idea to get help with paperwork. You'll pick them up from the police station in the airport when you get there. Just be sure to have ammo in its own separate locked box.

Taxidermy there is very hit and miss, but so is the dip and pack. If they screw up the dip and pack the hides slip really easily. Dip and pack is going to cost more in taxidermy here in the USA. Taxidermy there will cost more to ship back. Generally having taxidermy done there is cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider

June is winter in SA. Mornings can be cold. Like in the 30s when you leave camp. But the days will typically warm up to around 70 or thereabouts. Its not uncommon for you to drive out of camp on the back of a truck sitting on a bench seat, so it can be quite cold. Early mornings I will generally be wearing a wool hat, a puffy jacket and gloves. But within a few hours I will have stripped all that off and just be in shirt sleeves for most of the day.

There is no law prohibiting camouflage in SA. It is banned in some other countries such as Zimbabwe, but many of the local hunters in SA dress in camouflage clothing for their hunting trips.

Getting firearms through the OT Air Port is straight forward - I have done it many times myself. But if you are not familiar with it, then it is not expensive to pay a service to help you through this part. And while I have never had a problem, a friend did get asked for a bribe by one of the police offices in the permit office that is inside the airport.

I cant give you any advise on taxidermy as its 30 or so years since I have brought back a trophy.

2531usmc

WKR
I’ve seen a few news reports lately over concern with the SA power grid failing. Basically, the concern is that the grid cannot provide 24/7 power to the whole nation and may have to switch over to rolling blackouts for 1/2 the day.

the concern was the blackout could lead to national instability.

Granted, it’s been 10 years since I hunted the Eastern Cape, but I got the sense then that the country was unstable.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen a few news reports lately over concern with the SA power grid failing. Basically, the concern is that the grid cannot provide 24/7 power to the whole nation and may have to switch over to rolling blackouts for 1/2 the day.

Granted, it’s been 10 years since I hunted the Eastern Cape, but I got the sense then that the country was unstable.
Power supply in SA has been a problem for 20 years at least. Just google "load sheading", its the euphemistic name for scheduled outages across the country which happen continually. Its probably getting worse due to ongoing corruption and mismanagement by the government, but its nothing new.

In fact on the hunting estates, they would have backup generators, and you would not even know there was an outage.

f16jack

WKR
Been there twice - once for rifle and once for archery. Limpopa and Natal.
My hunts were in June. Chilly most mornings.

Many good points above.
1. Everything has thorns. Don't touch.
2. Learn to use shooting sticks when shooting offhand. You need occasionally to shoot over those thorny bushes.
3. You can take your own rifle with no hassle on arrival. Sometimes it may get delayed if you fly through London Heathrow and the activists there in baggage handling decide to lose it for a week or two. My advice is to avoid London. See if you can get a non-stop from the states like from Atlanta.
4. Blinds, hikes, shooting from vehicles. These are all ethical, normal methods of hunting while on Safari. You can expect any of the above. It will vary depending on species.
5. I had my taxidermy done there and they did a fine job in general. However, they boil the horns off (say, on a kudu) and the nice, glossy white tip horn that was on the animal is now a somewhat rough, re-dyed black horn. I ended up messing with the horns once I received them to try to make them look like they did in real life.
6. Books - Collins Field Guide - Larger Mammals of Africa by Jean Dorst and Pierre Dandelot. Great reference not only for your game animals but also to other animals you come across. $2 on Amazon.

51YTJZD0ADL._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

gemsbok.JPGkudu.JPG

Last edited:

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I would do a bunch of surfing on accurate reloading. Tons of experienced posters and outfitters on that site.

Try to get a reliable sleeping pill from your Dr and test it out at home first. You've got to try to get some sleep on the plane. Biz class is very spendy but the economy plus can help. It also depends on if you're big or tall.

Take your own rifle and a good outfitter or travel agent can help. I flew with Custom Travel out of WI. Debbie is the owner and she's a pro.

It's quite likely you will be shooting off of some type of shooting sticks, so you better practice. If you don't like the pressure of shooting in front of an audience, you better get over that too. If it bleeds, you pay.

I've been 4 times and have sent at least 7-8 guys there. I would think about doing Euro mounts on most animals and maybe shoulder mounts on your favorites. I did all my taxidermy there and it IS a crapshoot at times.

The shipping/import companies that you'll have to deal with are crazy expensive. The one I used this last time....not naming them here, lied to me about proposed costs. It was WAY more in the end.

Try to book a couple of days in a national park or preserve if you can. Since I was in the wine biz we went to numerous wineries and met many folks in the industry. I've remained in contact with some 10-15 years since.

My outfitter has become a very good friend and when he visits the US, we host him for a few days. We always have a 'hunters party' when he comes and he usually lands a client it two while he's here.

Last edited:

f16jack

WKR
Consider also if you will take anti-malarial medication. Some recommend it. There are several kinds, and they can have interesting side effects. I initially started some but then stopped taking it.

WCB

WKR
IF you are going to get taxidermy done there I would research the hell out of it. I have NEVER seen good taxidermy done there. When guys say theirs turned out great or good take it with a HUGE grain of salt. Not saying Africa doesn't have some great taxidermists but most places have a recommended taxi they bring the stuff to and it more than likely is the most convenient for them. Also, ask the PH how your trophies are handled. I know the places I or my Family/friends have gone do everything themselves except for the actual shipping. Place I went to in Namibia we personally were with when they brought the animal to their skinning shed/area. A couple times we brought animals in late at night and then one right away in the morning. No sign of the animal we hung the night before but if you walked by the salting bays Cape, hide, cut off skull were already in the salt the horns pulled off and every thing labeled with your name on it.

Besides just bad taxidermy in general #1 thing that bothers me on taxi done there is terrible painting/coloring and the painted or glossed horns. But again in general work is passable at best and if you get it here not mounted you can always get mounts done on your timeline but at least you are in control of your trophies. Mount an animal a year or a couple a year and not 10 at once.

TBarron

WKR
IF you are going to get taxidermy done there I would research the hell out of it. I have NEVER seen good taxidermy done there. When guys say theirs turned out great or good take it with a HUGE grain of salt. Not saying Africa doesn't have some great taxidermists but most places have a recommended taxi they bring the stuff to and it more than likely is the most convenient for them. Also, ask the PH how your trophies are handled. I know the places I or my Family/friends have gone do everything themselves except for the actual shipping. Place I went to in Namibia we personally were with when they brought the animal to their skinning shed/area. A couple times we brought animals in late at night and then one right away in the morning. No sign of the animal we hung the night before but if you walked by the salting bays Cape, hide, cut off skull were already in the salt the horns pulled off and every thing labeled with your name on it.

Besides just bad taxidermy in general #1 thing that bothers me on taxi done there is terrible painting/coloring and the painted or glossed horns. But again in general work is passable at best and if you get it here not mounted you can always get mounts done on your timeline but at least you are in control of your trophies. Mount an animal a year or a couple a year and not 10 at once.

I have a baboon that looks like hairy version of the clown from IT. All my taxidermy I had done over there looks terrible….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddtc

FNG
Hello all,

I just got the invite to go on a hunt in South Africa in 2025. I want to prepare myself in whatever ways I can. I was hoping for some recommendations of podcasts, books, maybe even other forums. We are still hashing out the details with the outfitter and whatnot now, but I am excited to say the least.

For those that have been, what are you thoughts on taking your own rifle vs renting one. I really like the idea of bringing my own, but I am not entire sure how the rest of my party feels. In terms of taxidermy is it better to have them do it and ship or tan and ship over?

These are just a few questions I have right now, I'm sure more will pop up.

Thanks in advance
To start with, I've been to SA three times. As such, the advice here is based on my experience: It is a lot easier to use the PH's rifles. They have been tested and proven there and seem to be locked on. The outfitter I have used runs top notch rifles and outstanding glass. They will usually get you all dialed in your first day at camp.

All of the taxidermy I've had done was done there- Carl Human Taxidermy. They do phenomenal work and, when we were there last month, had a pet baby blesbok. The cost and expertise make it certainly worth having it done there.

Any other questions, please let me know.

buddtc

FNG

They are currently doing load shedding- everyday they get a notification as to when the power will be out for the entire country. Each time is about 3 hours, but it's still an amazing place.

birwin

FNG
I'm headed to the Northern Cape the last week of May in 2024. The outfit is Mt. Carmel so if anyone has used them, feel free to let me know your experience good or bad. I appreciate all the information each of you are providing. For those who have been hunting on the North Cape, is there anything you would've done differently? Cheers!

Went in 2008. Cape Town, Kruger, and then bow hunted in Limpopo.
Kruger was cool. Seeing massive crocs, hippos, rhinos and giraffes. I used to work with an Afrikaans who I took elk hunting and loaned him a SW 629 classic while he was here working on a visa. His thanks for taking him hunting here and loaner pistol resulted in an amazing trip in SA.