South Carolina opening day gobbler

FLS

WKR
This morning is the private land opener in the game zone where I live and hunt in South Carolina. I hunted a relatives farm not far from where I live this AM and didn’t hear a single gobble. It didn’t surprise me, we’ve got a low pressure system moving in so I went to where I had seen a good bit of sign on a power line cut and started calling with a few soft yelps and clucks about every 15 minutes and eventually had a bird come looking. He didn’t like something and eventually left the way he came. I picked up and moved about 200 yds and set up again off an old logging road that cruise the cut along the edge of a swamp. I let everything settle down and let out a few soft yelps and scratched in the leaves beside me with my hand. I set my call down got my gun on my knee and started waiting. About 15-20 minutes later I thought I could hear a bird walking behind me and then a squirrel fired off. I eased my head around and could see a bird coming slowly from about my 7:30-8:00 out of the corner of my eye. When he went behind a big pine I got my gun to my shoulder and twisted to my left. He stepped into a gap I could shoot through at 15 yards and I dumped him. I made a rookie mistake and grabbed him before he was done flopping and he got in a final blow cutting my knuckle to the bone with a spur. He’s a nice bird, triple beard, 6”, 7”, and 10” , 1 1/16”and 1 1/8”spurs and 18 pounds. IMG_0633.jpeg

KHNC

WKR
Great bird! Ill be out in Cherokee county on 4/01 when it opens.

Reactions: FLS
Nice! I went up to the national forest in Newberry County on Wednesday scouting and didn't hear a gobble. Not totally surprising all things considered. A few buddies went today in Zones 3/4 where open. Be interested to hear their reports.

Bert01

FNG
My son went last Saturday for youth day, had some gobbling but couldn’t get any in close enough. Congrats.

crich

WKR
Great bird and thanks for sharing. This a good reminder not to get too impatient. A lot of guys dont have the ability to make a few soft calls and wait a while. So many birds come in quiet.

KenLee

WKR
Congratulations, my zone opens Monday and I’ll be taking my daughter tomorrow.
Time to run lawnmower over far end of a food plot this evening and sit kids out like standers on a dog drive tomorrow morning.
They'll tear those fresh seeds up like stink on sh**

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_6495.jpeg
My opening day bird. 21.2 lbs, 9” beard and 1” spurs. Man oh my it was beautiful, the coloration is just plain spectacular.

This is a picture in my yard btw. Haha

fatlander

WKR
Warms my heart to see trumpets, wingbones, and dead gobblers.

Good work, gentlemen. Still have 1.5 weeks to wait here. Like a kid waiting for Santa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk