South Dakota Success

bdg848

WKR
Great photos. Was this with an outfitter or public land? I have my first bird dog this season but have struggled getting on many birds here in eastern Iowa. I'm considering a trip to SD next season for a public land hunt.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Great photos. Was this with an outfitter or public land? I have my first bird dog this season but have struggled getting on many birds here in eastern Iowa. I'm considering a trip to SD next season for a public land hunt.

I spend a ton of my time bird hunting in eastern Iowa, and it can be frustrating for sure, especially with a new dog! I make a trip or two to SD every year, some public, some private, and its well worth it.

Iowa just can't compete with the bird numbers in SD, but even if you head a couple hours west, you'll find more birds.

Shoot me a PM if you want to get more specific!

OP
texjitter

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider

One day we hunted public land (walked ditches) and then the other two days we had day-leased land from a farmer. My buddy and his family have been hunting the same area for years so that definitely helped

Eastern SD here. The closer you are to sioux falls the fewer birds and more hunting pressure you will find. I never have trouble finding birds on public near the aberdeen area although getting close enough is a different question.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201203-182918_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20201203-182918_Facebook.jpg
    809.4 KB · Views: 13