Spartan Gunsmith Adapter

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered up a few gunsmith adapters to replace my classic adapters. Will be going on a Browning X bolt and a Seekins Havak Element. Anyone have any positive or negative experiences taking this mount to a gunsmith to get installed? Or is the classic adapter head and shoulders better than the gunsmith adapter? I have been happy with the classis so far but flush mount really intrigues me. I'm assuming the gunsmith I have in mind has never installed one so I'm looking for feedback (basically questions I can ask him when I call) to either trust him with my rifles or find someone else.

sndmn11

WKR
I've done 8 gunsmith adapters and they are very easy. Having it for flush is really nice and it eliminates the issue of the classic adapter rotating. It should take 5-15min of time to fit a gunsmith adapter.

OP
bergie

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I like to hear it. What epoxy/glue do you use to secure them?

Seeknelk

WKR
Gunsmith adapter is far nicer than the swivel mount one or the pic rail version. I did them myself with a hole saw and epoxy. Made my butt pucker a little but they turned out fine.

Ralphie

WKR
I wonder if all stock materials are compatible with inletting the gunsmith adapter. Maybe they are idk. But if a gunsmith has any trouble installing one that would disqualify them immediately from any other work. I’ve put two in McMillan stocks and they are EASY.

ljalberta

WKR
I just did 2. a few weeks ago One in a plastic stock with JB Plasticweld and one in a Fiberglass stock with classic JB weld. Fairly easy and straight forward, although tooling is not my gift. Plastic stock was actually the easiest and pretty bang on. I think I'm about 1* degree off from straight on the fiberglass and I had a little overflow I didn't wipe off in time, so I'll be chipping away at that for awhile.

Much improved over the classic adaptor in my opinion in terms of being snag free and having a solid mount.

rcook10

WKR
I have installed several at this point, only kimber stocks have been a pain because the foam they use is so terrible. I will essentially scrape out a pretty deep section of foam in the forend and do shopped fiber and epoxy to back fill and then add the adaptor at the end. Super solid system but a decent amount of work. I prefer to use short UM adaptors at this point to take advantage of a sling swivel t nut for additional strength. It is a lot of force for a flyweight stock if your rifle has a spicy recoil impulse. No problems with McMillan or HS stocks.

Lando

WKR
If the spartan adapter were recessed, that thing would be cool.
Yeah, I'm not sure how well that would work, since you need the Arca and pic rail out, but recessed is the real benefit of the gunsmith adapter.

I'm attracted to it, because I love shooting off a tripod with the arca Spartan adapter, but sometimes forget the little adapter and hate the Spartan Bipod, so a pic rail would be nice for the bipod and the Arca if I forget my Spartan Arca Adapter.

sndmn11

WKR
Yeah, I'm not sure how well that would work, since you need the Arca and pic rail out, but recessed is the real benefit of the gunsmith adapter.

I'm attracted to it, because I love shooting off a tripod with the arca Spartan adapter, but sometimes forget the little adapter and hate the Spartan Bipod, so a pic rail would be nice for the bipod and the Arca if I forget my Spartan Arca Adapter.
Still leave the pic and arca exposed, but drop the spartan to the highest required exposure of the other two. I think a pic rail is exposed less than 3/8", which is about the same as a typical sling swivel stud, versus the 5/8-3/4" exposure of the factory spartan adapter. My assumption of course is that this piece in question has similar exposure for the spartan portion as the factory one does.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Have any of you guys installed these in plastic tikka stock? or have they all been carbon/fiberglas stocks?

ljalberta

WKR
the making the hole is the easy part. The getting it lined up straight for me was a real pain. I should have made a couple marks on the stock and adaptor to use as reference points. I just eyeballed it though. Ended up close enough (maybe a degree or 2 off from perfect).