Spartan Gunsmith Adapter

ljalberta

WKR
Did you just figure out a spot that matched with the structural parts inside of the stock?
That would be a better idea. The spot we drilled didn't have the most parts to grab onto. But once in, we scuffed up the plastic and used a large amount of epoxy to surround the adaptor. Considered putting some small screws inside for additional structure but didn't.

No idea how it will hold up long term, but the drilling and lining up was much easier on the plastic stock than the fiberglass one. I'd aim for a spot with some ridges or structure for extra support though.

wyosam

WKR
Have any of you guys installed these in plastic tikka stock? or have they all been carbon/fiberglas stocks?

I’ve done two tikkas. Just found a void inside, drilled the hole, and bedded it in. If I recall I did one with JB and the other with Devcon 10110.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFK

WKR
It’s very easy to do. The hardest/most nerve racking part is getting the stock setup on your press so it’s centered and the hole is not drilled at an angle. I did it on a Sauer 100 in front of the mag well. Drill the hole, degrease inlet side of stock where you will be working. I took a dremel and really roughed up the whole area where the epoxy would be with a spindle bit. Drilled some very small, shallow holes to create a mechanical bond as well. Degrease everything again including the adapter, and float in your epoxy. I used some tooth picks to push the epoxy down around the adapter to make sure there were no voids. Came out great….probably the strongest part of the stock now! I used some epoxy from Home Depot made for plastic.

OP
bergie

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Found a gunsmith and got them installed in both rifles from the original post. Can't believe I didn't do this sooner. He had a little issues finding a good spot in the Seekins but made it work. The Browning was cake for him. Both are rock solid and I don't foresee having any issues with them in the future. Shot the Seekins today and it worked awesome.

I pulled the sling studs (I don't use a squeaky, in the way, good for nothing sling) out on both so no more annoying things getting hung up, stock is smooth.

That’s my hang up with a arca on the bottom of a contoured stock.im carrying the rifle 90% time.Definitely looking into a one or two adapters in stock or just using a light bag on tripod.

I just put one in a B&C stock this evening, super easy and looks good too. We’ll see how it holds up in use.

Attachments

• IMG_5199.jpeg
    IMG_5199.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 31

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Installed it in my Sako Kodiak about ten days ago and it turned out fantastic. Had a fair amount of angst going into the project I have to admit as I don’t have a machine shop by any means. Staring down doubt, I threw my trusty lead sled on top of my pool table and secured my stock (victim???). After surveying the lay of the land to assess for optimal placement, and taping stock with painters tape it was game on. Using my circa 2002 Makita hand drill the game was afoot with the drilling of a pilot hole. Since the pilot hole seemed a success, in for a penny, in for a pound, I locked in the 19mm Forstner bit and thought “ hope this doesn’t end with me buying a new stock”… Somehow blessed with a steady hand & keen eye a well centered level hole perfect for the gunsmith adapter was the end result. I used gorilla epoxy enthusiastically applied, surfaces cleaned of excess, and taped in place for curing. As eluded to at the start results turned out awesome. If you are careful & pay attention to detail installation of the gunsmith adapter really isn’t a huge reach 😳

JFK

WKR
I just put one in a B&C stock this evening, super easy and looks good too. We’ll see how it holds up in use.

Did you have any issues hitting the aluminum bedding block that runs into the fore end? I have a gunsmith adapter on one of my rifles right in front of the mag well and it’s great for tripod. Have another rifle with a B&C and have hesitated because I’m not entirely sure what’s inside. Forstner bit probably wouldn’t like going through aluminum.

ljalberta

WKR
Did you have any issues hitting the aluminum bedding block that runs into the fore end? I have a gunsmith adapter on one of my rifles right in front of the mag well and it’s great for tripod. Have another rifle with a B&C and have hesitated because I’m not entirely sure what’s inside. Forstner bit probably wouldn’t like going through aluminum.
A decent forstner bit will cut through the aluminum. Although if it’s a huge piece of aluminum, you may want a second bit in case it dulls completely.

I wondered about that myself and that’s why I postponed it a few weeks but it didn’t hit the block. Clean and easy.

Any of you used one out in front on a tripod?
I know the bipod works great but wondering about the force or leverage hanging on a tripod will work.

Any of you used one out in front on a tripod?
I know the bipod works great but wondering about the force or leverage hanging on a tripod will work.
I’ve used mine that way at the range before I installed the gunsmith adapter in the middle. Worked great for me. I used it prone with a rear bag. Probably harder to be as accurate up off the ground.