Spine too stiff?

on Victory’s website it shows the 235 spine to be 11.1 GPI. I’ll attach it below, I used that and the FOC calculator on podium archery

11.1 GPI x 27 (arrow length) = 299.7
+ 100 (broadhead)
+50 (insert)
+18 (3 vanes)
+6 (Nock)

Total weight is 473.7
Great thank you. I was doing the math with 300s. I didn't realize you got to that weight with 235s. I am trying to go 4mm arrows as well but I think my arrow will be much too light if I keep the 100 grain BH's and the 55 grain inserts. That will put me at 403 grains. My current setup is at 425 which I am comfortable shooting an elk with. Not sure if 403 is much too light. I don't want to have to buy new 75 grain inserts lol

Great thank you. I was doing the math with 300s. I didn't realize you got to that weight with 235s. I am trying to go 4mm arrows as well but I think my arrow will be much too light if I keep the 100 grain BH's and the 55 grain inserts. That will put me at 403 grains. My current setup is at 425 which I am comfortable shooting an elk with. Not sure if 403 is much too light. I don't want to have to buy new 75 grain inserts lol
I’d say play around with the podium archery calculators a bit, but I’ve been looking to utilize heavier arrows, which is another reason I went with the stiffer spine.
Not a fan of using wraps, when shooting, clipping a vane off or cutting the wrap I’d have to refletch the whole thing

I’d say play around with the podium archery calculators a bit, but I’ve been looking to utilize heavier arrows, which is another reason I went with the stiffer spine.
Not a fan of using wraps, when shooting, clipping a vane off or cutting the wrap I’d have to refletch the whole thing
I think I may just keep my current arrows which are the RIP tko's. Nothing wrong with them but I wanted to play around with something different just to tinker. I don't want to have to buy new components that don't already come with the arrows since the arrows themselves are not cheap

The only people I’ve heard mention weaker being more forgiving is Dudley, and Levi. When Duds was doing all his ladder testing Hoyt had some of the worst nock travel available. Levi has only made the reference when referring to 3D. I think it takes that level of archer to notice. Even then people like Tim will say that there is no such thing as too stiff. I certainly have never seen it. Even with extreme circumstances.
Great comment Zac

I too have never seen overspined being an issue- but I am a minute of angle bowhunter.

.I can see where a pro like Levi will test and test different arrow configurations to get slightly better groups at 50y with FPs for 3d. I know another shooter that shot multiple 300 rounds at Vegas telling me he got 1 point per round better with a detuned arrow.

I think the point for the rest of us bowhunters concerned more with BH accuracy in the field on critters is; KISS. This is probably why every experienced bowhunter I know shoots slightly over spined arrows.

my 2 cents if possible, buy 1 of each fletch em up and see how they tune. Shoot some broadheads down range and see what flies better. In my expericence if in between spines I go with the stiffer side as I have had fewer tuning issues. You can optimize weight/foc with different compenants and point weights. Just my experience, not a bow technician so take it with a grain salt.

Looking at several charts you're on the line with a 300 being too weak. I've always leaned towards a stiffer arrow myself and think you'll have better results over spined than under. Another option would be to add a wrap to the rear and it will help a little but not drastic. It will almost negate the added weight of the heavier insert.

I think what gets lost in the spine conversation is weight. A lot of times in stiffer spine, it's a heavier shaft. For me, at a point, heavier gets less forgiving.

I have currently same shafts, cut same, fletched same, same point weight, one is 400 "optimum " and the 300 is way stiff. 34 grs difference between them iirc.
Shooting fita rounds, my scores aren't changing but what I'd expect day to day.

I find that I shoot more consistently accurate at with arrows that are on the weak side. I don’t notice any difference at close range but notice them to be much more forgiving at long range and they tend to group better more often.
I’ve shot very stiff, stiff and weak. I feel like the calculators aren’t taking into consideration the amount of shaft we glue shut and keep from bending. Using HIT’s or even long glue in points we are essentially taking all of the flex out of the first 2-3” of the shaft.
All of the spine calculators show me weak but the arrows fly absolutely amazing, the last time I shot an overly weak arrow I had the same results.

Here is my arrrow.
EA3AE046-F9D3-45F5-8DAB-2B89AF681E2D.png

Here is my setup if I account for the 2” being glued stiff up front.
3E9FD15D-2D2D-4A8B-97EB-E29A64D751E5.png

I find that I shoot more consistently accurate at with arrows that are on the weak side. I don’t notice any difference at close range but notice them to be much more forgiving at long range and they tend to group better more often.
I’ve shot very stiff, stiff and weak. I feel like the calculators aren’t taking into consideration the amount of shaft we glue shut and keep from bending. Using HIT’s or even long glue in points we are essentially taking all of the flex out of the first 2-3” of the shaft.
All of the spine calculators show me weak but the arrows fly absolutely amazing, the last time I shot an overly weak arrow I had the same results.

Here is my arrrow.
View attachment 709905

Here is my setup if I account for the 2” being glued stiff up front.
View attachment 709907
Damn. Very well put man.

Looking at several charts you're on the line with a 300 being too weak. I've always leaned towards a stiffer arrow myself and think you'll have better results over spined than under. Another option would be to add a wrap to the rear and it will help a little but not drastic. It will almost negate the added weight of the heavier insert.
Yea that’s where I was at too, I’ve noticed numerous charts showing I’ll be ok with 300 and others showing 300 being too weak.

Using the podium archery .166 outserts, only the first inch is glued into the shaft.

Waiting for the field points to arrive and test.

Back