Spiral fluted barrels

Where is the best place to buy one? Or just pick your favorite steel tube and send it to kampfeld?

Bartlein 3b is the top of the list at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Southern Precision (bugholes), LRI, Kampfeld, and Twisted barrels are all good places to have your barrel fluted.

packer58

WKR
Karl Kampfeld is bad a$$, just had a bartlein 3b done by him and it looks great. I had him do about 2.5 - 3" straight leeds at either end of the spiral and it looks pretty cool.
I'll try to get a pic up today ......

NSI

WKR
What can be done to mitigate the risk of introducing stress into the barrel during fluting? Is there a way to stress-relieve the steel after fluting? My concern with fluting is always that the barrel may behave differently when hot if stresses are not dealt with.

-J

BBob

WKR
My concern with fluting
It's not a concern as far as I'm concerned. I can't personally speak for factory barrels but for the most part no one seems to have issues with name brand aftermarket barrels which were properly stress relieved in the first place. Oh, and the Tikka guys don't seem to have any issues pre and post machining either.

Reactions: NSI

BBob

WKR
What’s the fluting pattern that removes the most mass regardless of aesthetics?

-J
Long Rifles Murder Hornet or Pattern X. Next up I would say would be a deep aggressive twist Tac 8 style. That style twist will take off more than an aggressive Vortex.

Reactions: NSI
I have experience with a couple guys in the list towards the top of this thread.

if turnaround time matters Kampfield blew away the other company I used and it’s not even close. The other company gave me a fuuutuuure finish date and then decided they needed even more time
Kampfield fluted and mailed back my item before I even paid him, just said he trusted guys from Texas

Last edited:
I have experience with a couple guys in the list towards the top of this thread.

if turnaround time matters Kampfield blew away the other company I used and it’s not even close. The other company gave me a fuuutuuure finish date and then decided they needed even more time
Kampfield fluted and mailed back my item before I even paid him, just said he trusted guys from Texas

Haha! Karl is a likeable fella!

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
After you get the fluting done what do guys do to the newly machined surface areas?

Do you get it cerakoted or blued again?

Lawnboi

WKR
After you get the fluting done what do guys do to the newly machined surface areas?

I would never pull a barrel just to have it fluted personally. If I wanted a fluted barrel I would do it from the get go, and have it finished however I wanted.

Fwiw I had LRI do a wrought iron flute on a #4 bartlein. It’s one of the most accurate barrels I have ever owned, and is fairly aggressive. They also chambered, threaded and coated it.

iu

Horizon Firearms has their Custom Venatic Carbon rifle with a spiral twist-carbon fiber wrapped barrel. Wonder if they make them in house or if someone makes them for them. Their custom rifles come with a .5 MOA guarantee. Would be nice to get one of their barrels for a custom build.