Spotting scope dilemma

Marble

WKR
Hey all! I’ve got a few deal options rn and am curious what y’all think. I primarily hunt sheep and goat in Alaska. I’m young (23 M) and don’t have a ton of money to spend on a scope, but I definitely understand the importance of good glass.

Option 1: Leupold SX-4 20-60 x 80 on FB marketplace. Brand new in box for 700 with neoprene sleeve.

Option 2: Vortex Razor (Gen 1) 20-60 x 85 at cabelas for 900.

Option 3: Vortex Viper HD 20-60 x 85 on BlackOvis for 900 w/ free summit carbon fiber tripod.

I’m tempted to go with the mid line spotting scopes to save a touch of money to be able to get some clothing upgrades I need, but the razor is very nice. Definitely open to other options and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
I didn't see this written, so I'll say it.

If you plan on doing that type of hunting for the rest of your life, do not waste your money on the lower end scopes.

But #1, if you do not already have one of the best pairs of binos you can buy, get those first.

On a tripod, my Swarovski 10x42 has so much better clarity than my Razor spotting scope, I use it more.

When it comes to getting a packable tripod, the same rule applies. Save your pennies, but a really good one with decent head.

My wife just bought herself a pair of Swaro EL binos last year. She said it was her favorite piece of gear she's ever had, beating out her backpack. Which she always brags about.

Good luck!!

If you have time to work a part-time job for a few months delivering pizzas you would make enough to accomplish your goals.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Hotmail

FNG
The Gen 1 Vortex Razor HD 20-60x80s go on sale as cheap as $650 from Bass Pro just wait for their next sale.
At this sale price you won't lose any money later when you want to sell it and upgrade to a better spotter.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the thoughts! I think the Maven route will be the most efficient. I'll buy my next binos from them but for now, a nearly free spotting scope will be the move. Talked to them yesterday & they had no issues with this plan.

I used their demo program for a mule deer hunt last season. Used one of their CS-1 spotters and was very impressed with it. Fairly light, very compact and good optic quality. No hassle return program, would recommend. It's the perfect way to truly put something to the test.

I'm planning on buying that CS-1 spotter for next season, people on here don't seem to love it but I did.

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
There’s been a number of swaro spotters on FB marketplace. There’s definitely deals around. You could save a bit more a jump into something you wouldn’t need to upgrade.

I have a Leupold gold ring 12-40 HD. This scope is no slouch optically, as well as having excellent eye relief and a compact easy to carry shape and light weight. It would be a good choice to get out and hunt now. Look for one used.

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
The general one razor honestly honestly pretty great people hate but I have a kowa 774 to compare to and for a third of the price it’s 80% is good

Dumply

FNG
Didn’t read it all don’t know if still looking but…
A top quality scope from 30-40 years ago is as good as top quality now, find one of the four apex brands in used and great shape…save a load of cash.