Spotting scope dilemma

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I would also forgo the Vortex Razor Gen I. Mine has been back to Vortex twice for a locked up eyepiece or the detent not holding it in place. It was replaced with a Gen II, which seems better, but I’d save if you can for another brand. I currently use a Meopta Meostar HD 82 which has been very good.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I completely understand not having tons of disposable income, but for spotters, you really should find a way to get a swaro ats 65. In my opinion, it’s THE scope to have.

pc3

WKR
I would also forgo the Vortex Razor Gen I. Mine has been back to Vortex twice for a locked up eyepiece or the detent not holding it in place. It was replaced with a Gen II, which seems better, but I’d save if you can for another brand. I currently use a Meopta Meostar HD 82 which has been very good.
I’ve also got a Meopta S2 bought of Doug at CL NY….open box deal, the thing is super clear right to 70x. The Meoptas are durable as well. There was a review that where the S2 rated very well against the swaro 95, it only lost out at last light and that was down to the 82mm v 95mm objective on the Swarovski.

hwy1strat

WKR
If all those scopes you listed were free I still wouldn’t take any of them. I started with a gen 1 razor and it was a total waste of money.

If you don’t have money for a good spotter than upgrading your binos will do more for you than buying a cheaper spotter

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve also got a Meopta S2 bought of Doug at CL NY….open box deal, the thing is super clear right to 70x. The Meoptas are durable as well. There was a review that where the S2 rated very well against the swaro 95, it only lost out at last light and that was down to the 82mm v 95mm objective on the Swarovski.
I believe the Nightforce branded spotter is a Meopta S2, and I suspect Nightforce chose them based on their durability. I second contacting Doug at Cameraland, very good to work with.

Reactions: pc3

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll go against the grain here, but from what you’ve listed, I really liked my Gen 1 Razor. I only sold it because I was in residency in Cleveland and had absolutely no need for it for 5 years while I was there. I felt it had better glass than my brother’s Gen II razor.

That being said, I bought a Swaro ATX with the 85mm objective this fall and it’s incredible. Best gear I’ve purchased hands down.

bdloftin

FNG
I believe the Nightforce branded spotter is a Meopta S2, and I suspect Nightforce chose them based on their durability. I second contacting Doug at Cameraland, very good to work with.
There’s a straight S2 in the classifieds right now. From the comments looks like either eyepiece is available ATM, or the scope body as a stand-alone. I bought one from the seller and like it.

Another vote for waiting. I too have purchased and then ‘upgraded’ in hopes of getting what you simply cannot get by going cheap with a spotter. I would put that $ in the bank and keep saving. I had to hold off another ‘one more season’ to buy my ATX, worth the wait. I can spend hours behind that thing and not be fatigued, you won’t get that with those Vortex models, not sure of the Leupold, but my guess it would be similar to them.

nick21

FNG
Hey all! I’ve got a few deal options rn and am curious what y’all think. I primarily hunt sheep and goat in Alaska. I’m young (23 M) and don’t have a ton of money to spend on a scope, but I definitely understand the importance of good glass.

Option 1: Leupold SX-4 20-60 x 80 on FB marketplace. Brand new in box for 700 with neoprene sleeve.

Option 2: Vortex Razor (Gen 1) 20-60 x 85 at cabelas for 900.

Option 3: Vortex Viper HD 20-60 x 85 on BlackOvis for 900 w/ free summit carbon fiber tripod.

I’m tempted to go with the mid line spotting scopes to save a touch of money to be able to get some clothing upgrades I need, but the razor is very nice. Definitely open to other options and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
I just went through a 3 day process of talking myself out of purchasing the gen 1 razor. Sportmans ha them for 750. The thought off saving cash is nice, but I've always been a buy once cry once kind of guy.

nick21

FNG
First find a new credit card with a reward program you like, that also offers 0% APR balance transfers until Jan 2025, etc. Once you get that set up, go to CameralandNY and get a Swaro 85mm w 20-50X eye piece. Charge to your existing credit card, then once it posts, transfer the balance to the 0% APR card and pay that sucker off before the summer. Buy once, cry once. Finally, cut up the new credit card and throw it in the trash.
Wow!!! That's some serious thinking 🤔.... I might steal your idea!!!!

Broomd

WKR
If you're really fixed with a budget find an older Leica Televid 62mm APO.
They are still heirloom quality glass 20 years after they debuted.

As an ex-Alaskan, I can tell you the miles saved in boot leather will be worth the extra $ spent, and that little scope can be had around 1k or even less.
Even the non-APO is stunning and is light years ahead of the glass you mentioned.

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
If you can find a 2017 razor gen 1 it’s a great scope for the money. You can find a gently used one for around 500$ quite often.

Athlon ares or maven cs1 are both good options as well for around 500.

A scope that is incredible and often overlooked are the Nikon field scopes. Amazing glass and if you search eBay they can be head for a good deal

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering if anyone following this thread is in the Boise area. 3 younger guys doing a bear hunt, early May 3-9. 7 Day hunt. Not a single spotter between us, currently. Anyone interested in renting out a higher-end spotter? Open to any messages!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wondering if anyone following this thread is in the Boise area. 3 younger guys doing a bear hunt, early May 3-9. 7 Day hunt. Not a single spotter between us, currently. Anyone interested in renting out a higher-end spotter? Open to any messages!
Did you check with @Rent Outdoor Gear? I've found them to be pretty reasonable. I'm petty sure thier office is in Boise.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk