Spotting scope for sheep hunting

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Curious what you ended up doing? I thought I was sold on a Kowa 773, but keep going back reading reviews and finding a reason to go with the 553 instead. To be paired with my 8x42 ELs

Rifle elk and deer mainly, in CO and WA, fairly open country and do plan to use the spotter to better pick apart hillsides.

Well I was thinking of buying a vortex just to have a scope but my buddy is lending me his Swarovski for this first hunt which will give me some time to save and get what I really want (ats 65).

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use Swarovski BTX with the 95mm. You can see everything in this spotter and It always has a place in my pack for those high country hunts. If you plan on spending more then 4 hours in the glass then the BTX will keep eye strain from setting in.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like my Swaro ATS65 with the 20-60x eye piece. For me it was the right blend of weight and performance. With that said the "bigger" ones do tempt me, until I start counting ounces... : )

The little Kowa is one of our biggest sellers and folks love it
I called Doug and Neal since this weekend is the founder's birthday sale. I had been lugging a Razor 20-60x85 with the 4 lb. tripod, for a total of just over 8 lb. The Kowa 554 plus lighter tripod is 3 lb. They gave me a great deal and I will be glad to shed 5 lb. Optically is is supposed to be better than the Razor 65, so the Kowa should be close to my Razor 85 which has field of view 117 to 60 ft at 20x to 60x. The Kowa is not so far away in field of view at 132 ft to 69 feet at 15x to 35x.
I have done just enough sheep hunting in the past to know how much I wish I had the Kowa back then. I had someone with a big Leica with me on one of the hunts, glad I did not have to carry it!