Spreadsheet for Preference Points?

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone keep an excel spreadsheet or even a word document or the like, for keeping track of their preference points and due dates etc. to purchase them etc.? If so care to share?

Here's mine. I don't keep dates because I'm on top of it typically, but I do keep track of whether I've applied or not.

jadIDp5.png

Now I'm curious what the cost of all those points looks like?

It's not as much as many would think. I happen to have a lifetime hunting license in Arizona so I don't have to pay for the nonresident combo every year, just the app fees. I'm a resident in Colorado now so only resident fees here. Last year totaled right around $300. This year Colorado will cost me the $50 extra for goat, sheep and moose. I told my wife that I wouldn't apply for the big three to save us money but she told me I should. I have literally no other hobbies so that helps.

If it makes anyone feel any better I'll likely use those points for almost every species. The goat, sheep and moose tags are unlikely, as are Utah and Arizona pronghorn. The rest will get used eventually. I have a lifetime goal to kill a 6-point bull in 6 states. If I'm applying for elk in those states it makes financial sense to apply for other species usually.

Scottyboy

WKR
No spreadsheet for me, but only applying for resident “special” deer tags, Iowa and WY..not much to keep track of.

I've been keeping one for about 5 years or so. Way too much sensitive info on mine to share publicly. And its evolved and got bigger every year as I'm applying in 9 states(give or take a couple) every year. With around 30 different species applications.
Right now there are 6 different tabs. Points, draw timelines and historical cost being the first three. After that its state/unit breakdowns and some other personal research.

And all this info fills up a sheet pretty quick:
State website login info
App open/due dates
when backdoors are open/when CC are hit
When refunds are issued
Unit draw strategy
Hunter safety course #s
Detailed costs
State/unit breakdowns
Species breakdowns

I'd recommend putting one together if you are applying in a lot of states. It's nice to have all this info in one spot instead of having to go digging for it.

archp625

WKR
I'm with Chucklehead. A spreadsheet is a must to keep track of everything. Mine has evolved last last few years but makes me keep track of everything and its all in one place. I also PDF all my receipts and licenses and keep as well in case there was ever a question on if I bought a point or not.

Brado16

WKR
Huntin' Fool has a neat feature called "My Hunt Portfolio" that I use to keep track of all my info- pretty slick feature if your a member of HF.Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 10.19.12 AM.png

Hoot

WKR
It’s a wise thing to do, and fairly easy to accomplish, it will evolve once you figure out your system...

Fitzwho

WKR
My spreadsheet has over 100 rows. I don’t apply to half of it year to year, but I built it to track Alaska, Idaho, moose draws in Vermont, Maine, etc.

Tracks all my points, units applying for with draw odds, as well as application, tag, and license fees and due dates.

I run an excel sheet with tabs for each year across the bottom. I am not posting it because of the information it contains but I will describe it the best I can. This is going to be a tough read but I recommend setting something like this up to keep yourself organized.

There are 20 columns: first column has species listed from antelope through whitetail with 15 different species listed dall and bighorn are combined as "sheep" and desert has its own row. second through column 18 has the 17 different states I apply in. 19th column has "total chances" (per species) and 20th column has "total chance %" basically =SUM(B2-R2)...I know this is not exact but gives me an idea for each species. In each cell that brings a state with a species that I apply for there is a % listed (calculated chance of drawing) this just changed about 7 years ago (thanks gohunt/HF/toprut/etc)...before that I just put "yes or no" in the cell. These cells are also color coded. Yellow is submitted. Red is unsuccessful. Green is successful. As an example right now I am looking at AZ elk (cell C6) and the cell is red with 2.40%. I also have cells outlined in bold box if I have enough points to draw the tag I want in that state. This is basically for backup plans to make sure I have at least two tags in my pocket going into the fall. I also italic bold out the species/state cell when I can get an OTC tag. So as we head into June and all my cells are red again I can just fall on my backup plans!

There are 46 rows: Row 1 has all the states listed in order of historical application dates roughly. Row 2-17 has species listed. Row 18-19 is blank. Row 20 has "total ap cost" so you input the cost to apply for each state in its column. S20 has Total cost =SUM(B20-R20). Row 21 has "total chance per state" and this is =SUM(B2-B19) etc. Then T21 has =SUM(B21-R21) and that is "total overall chance %". S21 has =SUM(S2-S19) which is the total number of chances in draws. Row 23 has app deadline and row 24 and 25 have additional app deadline spots for AZ, WY, MT, SD and ND. Then row 26 and 27 are blank. Row 28 has "results date" listed in column 1 and followed by estimated results dates. Row 31 has "refund amounts" listed in the first column. Then row 33-47 have species listed in the first column and then the units applied for in the cells in that block.

I then have two additional tabs on the bottom that are listed after the current draw year. Those tabs have "current points" and "log in stuff". The current tab sheet is simply a running total of preference/bonus points for each species and state...set up with states across the top and species on the left as rows. The "log in stuff" sheet has states listed in the first column and login is column B, password is column C, Sportsman/dept ID etc is column D. Then there is a bunch of other stuff that is needed just randomly under those rows.

In summary it is very important to keep this sort of format when you are making 64 applications a year! It also helps to keep an idea of chances of drawing and to help make sure you are applying for the tags that make the most sense.

I forgot to mention the first tab listed...which is back before the first year listed....so I missed it.

That tab is called "perceived tag value" it is set up exactly as the current year tab...species in rows in column A and states in columns in row 1. This one is not necessary for most people...but I am a numbers guy and I like playing!

SO each cell for species/state has a dollar value in the cell. The way this dollar value is calculated is by taking the cost to apply for that species and dividing it by the % chance of drawing the tag. So for example Alaska/goat tag has $2075 in the cell. This is calculated by taking the total cost for Alaska $340/6 species for a cost of %56.67/species then I divide that by the 2.73% chance of pulling the goat tag I applied for. Utah deer is $755 because it is $18.13/species and chance of the tag is 2.4%. Both great values.

Since I've never used a guide and I'm just doing all my hunting DIY I want to have a value set to use to make sure I am spending my money appropriately.

So I compare my "perceived tag value" to any applications I make...and look at the cost of that hunt if I was to just buy a guided hunt. If my PTV is larger than what a guided hunt goes for in that unit/species combo then I will not apply.

A bad value example would be WY bighorn...I will never be in max point pool...so I only have a random chance...PP is $150 plus ap costs I think a WY bighorn application costs roughly $175 now divide that by the .44% chance of drawing in the random. The PTV for that tag is $39,773. Which is about what you could book a bighorn hunt for in Alberta...so I do not apply for WY sheep anymore.

This tab is really only for those people that REALLY enjoy analytics and number crunching and may not make sense for the majority of people. But if you are into it...oh man is it FUN!

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
thanks guys i may have to try n make me one, more for a reminder as to when to buy them etc. so i am not just constantly checking websites and such, nice description of the colums you guys use

Jardo

WKR
Huntinfool and other sites regularly publish and update the application deadlines by states and the draw dates. I apply for elk every in every state except ca, or, and wa. The deadlines change every year it seems so you gotta do some research.

It takes some effort, but I’ve been fortunate to draw a good tag every 3-5 years. I’ve got a 2 year streak going right now. NM last year and Wyoming this year.

I don’t really track it on a spreadsheet but I probably should.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk