Squeaky Exo pack... Any solutions??

Kevrod3

FNG
I have the Exo K2 5500 and I’ve been hiking with a 50lb sandbag loaded on the load shelf for training for elk season. There is a bunch of squeaking rubbing noises inside where the vertical frame rails meet the inside of the bag between my shoulder blades. Any suggestions on how to quiet this?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Medical tape wrapped around the frame

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I used cloth camo tape I had but med tape would do the trick too. Just needed it in the ends.

WJS23

WKR
Get a kifaru! Just kidding bud, you might have some contact from rubbing just put some tape there and you will be good to go.

OP
K

Kevrod3

FNG
If I wash the pack, can I soak the frame too? Exo says to wash the bag in the tub with hot water and scent free laundry soap. I just don’t want to hurt the titanium frame rails, but that’s where the squeaking is coming from. I’ve dismantled almost the entire pack with the exception of actually trying to take the metal frame out the frame pack. The bag and lid has already been separated. Thoughts before I give it a bath?

Gator

FNG
A coat of Bowstring wax on the frame worked well on my 2014 model. Had to remove the frame from the pack, not too big of a deal. If you contact Exo I’m sure they will point you in the right direction!

sneaky

"DADDY"
If I wash the pack, can I soak the frame too? Exo says to wash the bag in the tub with hot water and scent free laundry soap. I just don’t want to hurt the titanium frame rails, but that’s where the squeaking is coming from. I’ve dismantled almost the entire pack with the exception of actually trying to take the metal frame out the frame pack. The bag and lid has already been separated. Thoughts before I give it a bath?
Getting a titanium frame wet isn't going to hurt it. It's titanium, not carbon steel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
The frame comes right out. I would think you could remove the frame and throw it in the washer.

OP
K

Kevrod3

FNG
Update ** I completely took the whole pack apart including taking the frame out, shook the dirt debris out. I sprayed the pack down then with the hose on high pressure and I washed ever square inch with Dead Down Wind Scent free Laundry soap. After that I rinsed it with the hose then took it in the house and filled the tub with hot water and more DDW Soap (like the Exo guys recommended on their website)
I let it soak for about 6 hours then rinsed it really well with clean water. It it’s now hung up on the back deck drip drying in the sun.
Hopefully I’ll get it back together by tomorrow afternoon and get a hike in. I’ll post my results of the deep cleaning and the quietness of the pack. If it’s not quieted I’ll probably wrap the entire Titanium Metal with medical tape to ensure it’s quiet. Thanks for all the tip to those who took the time to post!

OP
K

Kevrod3

FNG
Well after all night and most of the day in the warm sun and breeze it was all dry. It took about an hour, but my pack is back together. After getting all the straps back in and the Titanium frame rail back in place I’m happy to say with a 25lb plate on my load/meat carrier it is about 90-95% quieter. I really took the time to clean every where I could reach.
Thanks for the input of everyone who chimed in! Hope this post helps the next guy with a squeaky pack! Good hunting!

Tempe.243

FNG
So I had the same issue. Bugged me like no other. Removed the black cloth like protector that came on the frame and did the medical tape thing. Better, but still noisy. Cleaning really wasn't an option because I train and hunt mostly in the Tonto National Forest. The pack will always be slightly dusty. Turns out I removed all the medical tape and sprayed the Ti frame with the 1/12 lanolin/2-propanol solution I use for lubing cases. Silence! Thing has been on an elk hunt and a whitetail hunt since the fix. Still quiet.