Standard Bolt 25 Cal

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd say for short action standard bolt face hands down its the 25 creed. The 25 Roberts AI and other 25 cal wildcats will hang with it but not gonna have as much brass and load data.

For long action standard bolt face, there is no clear winner that I know of, but the 25-284, 25-06 (and AI), and the 25 Sherman are all similarly situated.

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
I have had two of these built now......I had a 25 cartridge I came up with. One runs the 134 @ 3110 and the other runs the 133 @ 3080. Both 22" barrels............Both are plastic 308 mag coal. Also Necked down a 6.5 sherman to 25 and it runs the 134 @3280 on a 24".......If someone was looking for the end of standard bolt face I think the 6.5RPM case necked down would be it.

Wapiti1

WKR
.257 Weatherby. Killing critters at high speed since 1944. Right action, right barrel and it's still at the top end.

The easy button cartridges, IMO, are 25 Creedmoor, 25-06 or 25-284. With correct barrel, of course. It's easier to make and maintain brass for them than living with a belt. But, a little thought and the belt isn't much of a concern. It's not hard to get good life out of belted brass.

Jeremy

Is the 25 creed the king in this class now?
I think so! Ive had fast twist 25-06, 25-284, and on my second 25 creedmoor barrel. There are pros and cons to each but the creedmoor wins overall for me.

If you want/need a short barrel, and very long range capability, the -06 or -284 might be better suited.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
I think so! Ive had fast twist 25-06, 25-284, and on my second 25 creedmoor barrel. There are pros and cons to each but the creedmoor wins overall for me.

If you want/need a short barrel, and very long range capability, the -06 or -284 might be better suited

Who did your barrels ?

B23

WKR
If I wouldn't have had a bunch of new ADG 6.5 SAUM brass sitting on the shelf doing nothing I would have had a 25-284 built. I have a Rem 700 LA standard bolt face action Karl Kampfeld trued and fluted the bolt on that's been just sitting on the shelf waiting to be used and if my 25 SAUM works out like I hope it will I could see having a 25-284 built. I've always been a fan of just about anything 284 based.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If I wouldn't have had a bunch of new ADG 6.5 SAUM brass sitting on the shelf doing nothing I would have had a 25-284 built. I have a Rem 700 LA standard bolt face action Karl Kampfeld trued and fluted the bolt on that's been just sitting on the shelf waiting to be used and if my 25 SAUM works out like I hope it will I could see having a 25-284 built. I've always been a fan of just about anything 284 based.
I love my 25 SST, so you should be happy with the 25 SAUM. Man it is easy to load for and so fun to shoot!

B23

WKR
I love my 25 SST, so you should be happy with the 25 SAUM. Man it is easy to load for and so fun to shoot!
Are those based off the SAUM case but it's one of those cartridges where he pushes the shoulder back just a bit to give it a longer neck or same length neck as the parent case but ends up with a shorter OAL case length?

You don't by chance know what the case capacity, measured in water, is on your 25 SST do you? These sound like they're real similar to a 25 PRC.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are those based off the SAUM case but it's one of those cartridges where he pushes the shoulder back just a bit to give it a longer neck or same length neck as the parent case but ends up with a shorter OAL case length?

You don't by chance know what the case capacity, measured in water, is on your 25 SST do you? These sound like they're real similar to a 25 PRC.
The SST is saum based and pushed back with the case taper widened. The SST has more shoulder angle than the SS.

Not sure on case capacity.

Who did your barrels ?
I’ve had a couple preferred barrel blanks, one local smith (never again), one from southern precision rifles (absolute hammer barrel but expensive), and now a couple 22cm rechambered from factory tikkas.

wyosam

WKR
Just like any other caliber, there’s lots of ways to skin that cat. There is pretty much a 1/4 bore for every parent case, improved or otherwise. Creedmoor case is certainly plentiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
i really really want to build a quarter bore for the new heavies. the 25 creed seems to be the easiest solution because of the good head stamped brass. However with the new bullets released in last couple years and a handful of recent threads just here on rokslide I can't help but think someone must have something coming out sooner than later. A 25 western would be sweet, not having to be on either the creed or prc bandwagon ha.

i really really want to build a quarter bore for the new heavies. the 25 creed seems to be the easiest solution because of the good head stamped brass. However with the new bullets released in last couple years and a handful of recent threads just here on rokslide I can't help but think someone must have something coming out sooner than later. A 25 western would be sweet, not having to be on either the creed or prc bandwagon ha.
I would jump on the 25 western in a heartbeat however I would be happy to see the 25 creed saamid and be able to buy factory ammo for it

Case capacity is the same on the 25sst and the PRC case. Saum will gain you a little more

Reactions: B23