Starting with 7mm Rem Mag, need suggestions

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to start loading for a new 7mm Rem Mag and I'm looking for a few recommendations. This will be an Elk/Deer/Bear/Antelope gun so temps will be 20-90 degrees. Looking for accuracy over speed, but I'm not opposed to both :)

- What powder would you recommend for loading 160 gr Accubonds. I have H1000 (2 lbs), H4350 (4 lbs), and H4831SC (5 lbs)
- What factory ammo should I buy to break in the rifle and start stockpiling brass?
- I also have plenty of 140 gr Partitions and 150 gr TXS if those would work better with my available powders.

Axlrod

WKR
I would buy some ADG brass, and load your own to break in your gun. It's way better brass than most of the loaded ammo comes with, and you can work up loads to find your pressure limit while doing it.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the ADG brass, also Peterson makes great brass as well. I use H1000 in my 7mag. I have noticed that my speed deviations have been very minimal on the chrono.

gerry35

WKR
I would start with H 1000 for 160 gr and heavier and the H 4350 and H 4831 sc for the lighter bullets. Buy some premium brass but with that said the Federal Fusion loads are good for factory loads. The 160 gr Accubond is one of the best all around bullets out there. When you find a load that has promise you can often fine tune it by seating the bullet deeper.

You should be able to look on the Hodgdon website and get starting load data for each of the powders you have.

Here are some others from Nosler:

Screenshot_20230424-085041_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The 160 Accubond over Retumbo and F215s is my favorite 7mag recipe.

3b1b157e568b646ea60fe1afcb42f89f.jpg

MThuntr

WKR
Of the powders you have, H1000 would be my first choice. H4350 would be a slightly slower choice but like H1000 it offers great consistency just not as fast as something with a slower burn rate. I was hoping to get some of the new StabalHD but that stuff disappeared quickly.

I've found that MagPro gave great velocity but inconsistent loads and expressed some serious pressure issues if it got warm.

You should be able to look on the Hodgdon website and get starting load data for each of the powders you have.

Here are some others from Nosler:

View attachment 546345
Check out the Vihtavuori load data for comparison purposes. Their loads with n165 were way more stout for some of the 160gr class bullets. I understand that not all bullet shapes will produce the same pressure, but it is a huge difference from the nosler book.

Check out the Vihtavuori load data for comparison purposes. Their loads with n165 were way more stout for some of the 160gr class bullets. I understand that not all bullet shapes will produce the same pressure, but it is a huge difference from the nosler book.
Yeah, my experience with the Nosler manual is that they are pretty conservative in general, probably out of an aubundance of caution/risk averse. Cant blame them given how sue-happy everyone is nowdays

Those 140 gr. Partitions would work very well even on elk in your list of animals. H4350 and H4831SC would be good powders also.

160 gr. Accubond is an awesome bullet and would work well for everything. My dad shot only one bullet in his 7mm Remington for everything on your list and that was the 160 gr. Partition. It too would be superb. He used H4831 in his rifle with magnum primers.

Another thumbs up for Peterson Brass, Retumbo, H1000, and H4831sc. Retumbo is crazy fast with heavier bullets (168+) if you have the twist.

So far as “break in,” my latest 7 RM jumped about 80 fps increase somewhere between 60 and 75 firings. Magnum primers also about 15-20 fps faster and better consistency (I had to shoot BR2s for a bit during primer shortage).

Good luck -

I've tried numerous combos in my 7mm Rem Mag over the years including Barnes TTSX, Hornady ELD-X and ELD-Ms, and Berger VLDs. It was originally a Remington Sendero. I had the best luck with 168 gr. Berger VLDs and Retumbo. I recently had it re-barreled, throated longer, and lightened up. It currently shoots amazing (1/2 MOA, if I do my part) with both the 180 gr. ELD-M (charged with 4831sc) and 180 gr. Berger VLDs (Retumbo) and Federal 215 mag primers. After taking multiple elk and muleys with both combos, I've seen the terminal performance of the Bergers to be more of what I am looking for.

Harvey_NW

WKR
H1000 and 160 class projectiles are usually an easy button in 7RM, usually round 69-70gr in my experiences but work up safely. H4831SC has worked well also.

OP
I

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I'll start out with H1000, but I'm finding some conflicting information online (shocker). The Hodgdon website shows 66 gr of H1000 is max with a 160 projectile, but then lists 70 gr as the max with a 162 projectile. I'm also seeing a lot of anecdotal data of people using 70+ with 160s. I want to be safe, but i dont want to sell myself short either. Thoughts?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I'll start out with H1000, but I'm finding some conflicting information online (shocker). The Hodgdon website shows 66 gr of H1000 is max with a 160 projectile, but then lists 70 gr as the max with a 162 projectile. I'm also seeing a lot of anecdotal data of people using 70+ with 160s. I want to be safe, but i dont want to sell myself short either. Thoughts?
Not proven as fact but Dan Newberry mentioned in a podcast that Hodgdon will list their max charge as the most accurate test charge closest to max pressure.

Something to consider that is fact, is pressure will vary with different bearing surface lengths, longer will generate more pressure. So it's best to cross reference load data with projectiles of the same or close profile. Mono's will also build more pressure.