Stay with 300 WM or go PRC

jonboatjockey

Lil-Rokslider
All, I have a Remington 5R in 300 WM. It doesn't shoot worth a damn with ELD-X's both 200g & 212g, Berger 210VLD's. I had a glimmer of hope with the Berger 215's but that was short lived, and had to lead them long (which is fine). There is a issue with the rifle itself, i think. Anyways, Back to where I was going with this thread. I have ordered a Lilja barrel 1:9 twist and while I've been (im)patiently waiting for it I've been trying to decide if I'm going to stick with the 300WM or go PRC. It's going to be my go to Elk gun, I have a 6.5X284 that is my go to for everything, and works great on Elk, but a man needs to have options. So, in comes the 30 caliber. Primarily under 500 yards for shots, but I want to shoot at least the Berger 210's. Why? because I'm not a fan of 180's in a 300WM, especially when I can just shoot 140's/156's out of my 284. Barring the 30 Nosler, PRC debate... should i just stick with the trusty 300wm or try something new. I plan on extending the mag box either way (for the Bergers). Thoughts??

mt100gr.

WKR
I don't see how you could go wrong with the win mag. Especially if you handload the 215s. ...and if you have been handloading for the win mag already, you've got the gear.

Either would certainly suffice but the win mag is beyond proven and brass, loaded ammo etc is everywhere. 215s from a hot 30-06 do well. 215s from a modest and accurate win mag do more than 95% (or more) of hunters/shooters should attempt.

Broz

WKR
I am rebarreling my 30 N to 300 win mag. The PRC has no advantage other than a little shorter case. The 215 Berger in a 300 win mag is a great combo. Many many dead elk don't lie.

Last edited:
OP
jonboatjockey

jonboatjockey

Lil-Rokslider
I am rebarreling my 30 N to 300 win mag. The PRC has no advantage other than a little shorter case. The 215 Berger in a 300 win mag is a great combo. Many many dead don't lie.
[/QUOTE

Thanks for chiming in Broz! I've been reading/ watching all of your 300WM stuff when I was trying to get a load to group in the 5R. Its all great information and i really picked up a lot. Should I have a longer mag box installed when the smith is blueprinting the action?

JigStick

WKR
switching to a PRC would a downgrade in performance for sure. Suprised youre having so much trouble tuning your WM. They arent a picky at all. Mine gobbles up just about anything i load from 168 Barnes TTSX to Berger 210VLDs.

Regardless Id stick with that caliber over a prc any day. But if you want a new rifle to play with Id sell the 300WM and grab a 300WSM. Ballistically almost identical but inherently more accurate. And for ranges under 500yds it will be devastating.

OP
jonboatjockey

jonboatjockey

Lil-Rokslider
switching to a PRC would a downgrade in performance for sure. Suprised youre having so much trouble tuning your WM. They arent a picky at all. Mine gobbles up just about anything i load from 168 Barnes TTSX to Berger 210VLDs.

Regardless Id stick with that caliber over a prc any day. But if you want a new rifle to play with Id sell the 300WM and grab a 300WSM. Ballistically almost identical but inherently more accurate. And for ranges under 500yds it will be devastating.
Im really surprised too. Everything I read about the 5R was that they shoot lights out and are pretty good for a factory rifle. I knew i was rolling the dice buying a Remington, but i got into it cheap enough and planned on rebarrelling if it wouldn't shoot. WSM's have a longe enough box for 215's or modification need to be done to accommodate the bergers there too?

Could you provide more details on the accuracy part? Only asking because I seem to keep picking up rifles and more curious about the WSM. Shot an antelope with one (x bolt) in ‘18. borrowed but on a half-mile sneak I couldn’t resist. it was the first time I ever shot one... overpowered but right into the pumphouse at maybe 300 yds. Made me curious since. Hard to get that sort of romance off your mind.

Since you reload already and obviously have everything setup for the winmag id stick with it. Only reason to go PRC is to have reasonably priced accurate factory ammo with high BC bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
Since you reload already and obviously have everything setup for the winmag id stick with it. Only reason to go PRC is to have reasonably priced accurate factory ammo with high BC bullets.

Isn't it essentially the same bullet and ammo that's available in the WM also??

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Broz

WKR
We have shot plenty of the Berger factory ammo with the 215's and it is very good quality ammo for factory fodder.

Broz

WKR
An interesting test done by one of our members of two like rifles. Both CA Ridgelines, both 26" barrels with 215 Bergers, both SAAMI spec chambers, both in Hornady brass, both same powder and bullet lots, and same primers from same lot. One in 300 PRC the other in 300 win mag. The win mag started to show pressure at 82 grains where both were starting to compress powder. But this old outdated case design was faster all the way up. Marketing at its finest I say. I am sure this will upset those who like the little shorter cases and buy into some of the new marketing. So take it or leave it. But it was a good sample data point either way. To put icing on the cake. I think it is the belt that makes the 300 win mag so much more awesome. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Isn't it essentially the same bullet and ammo that's available in the WM also??

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Yes and no.
Every builder has their own idea of proper freebore and reamer specs. Then sheer vastness of winmag builds out there is its own worst enemy. I don’t know any builders myself who use a Saami spec reamer for their winmag builds. But because of so many factory winmag offerings, factory ammo needs to fit within Saami spec chambers as well as custom builds.

The PRC was designed as a standardized chamber/ammo design to work together. The essently did their own kind of load work up with a properly designed long throated chamber and mass produced the ammo to support the chambering. It works.

On average a custom PRC build will shoot factory ammo around or under 1/2MOA. A custom winmag will shoot quality factory ammo around .6-.8MOA with some exceptions. My winmag reamer will shoot 180 grain federal premium into the .3’s, hornady 200 eldx about 1/2 moa, but the 212 eldx ammo averages 3/4moa. I’ve got 212 eldx handloads into the .2-.35moa range and 215 Berger data that also is deep into the .3’s on average.

There are other ammo offerings out there for match grade ammo like the Berger offering for the winmag and you can also run a custom load through a company like copper creek ammo or alpha unknown. But you’re gonna be paying $60-$90 per 20 rounds and MOST people aren’t willing to pay that for the high round count they need to be using to maintain proper LR proficiency.

Mike @hca

An interesting test done by one of our members of two like rifles. Both CA Ridgelines, both 26" barrels with 215 Bergers, both SAAMI spec chambers. One in 300 PRC the other in 300 win mag. The win mag started to show pressure at 82 grains. But this old outdated case design was faster all the way up. Marketing at its finest I say. I am sure this will upset those who like the little shorter cases and buy into some of the new marketing. So take it or leave it. But it was a good sample data point either way. To put icing on the cake. I think it is the belt that makes the 300 win mag so much more awesome. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

View attachment 144192

Curious what brass was used with the winmag and what brass with the PRC?

Mike @ HCA

Broz

WKR
The two are close in capacity with the PRC being about 2% larger. At 80-82 grains where both start to compress powder that will amount to about 1.5 grains of charge weight. But never the less we can expect larger cases to require a little larger charge weight to match velocity. But the volume difference here is minute and, to me at least, blows at least a little hole in some of the "efficiency" claims. YMMV