Staying healthy as a parent with little kids

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone who has / had little kids, I'm looking for some suggestions. My wife and I have a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old, and between the 4 of us, we've been sick almost non-stop since November. Any words of wisdom to share as to how to stay healthy?

I think we eat far healthier than your average American family, although I'm sure we could improve a bit. We try to workout regularly, although honestly the non-stop sickness has interfered with that a lot and we're probably as out of shape as we've ever been right now. Take multivitamins and electrolytes daily. Pretty consistent on 7+ hours of sleep nightly.

What worked for you? Supplements? Quarantine your kids at home until they're 20? Bathe them in hand sanitizer after going out?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What worked for you? Supplements? Quarantine your kids at home until they're 20? Bathe them in hand sanitizer after going out?
Actually the opposite. We don't even have hand sanitizer, and we never went to the covid protocols with masking and isolating etc. But we all grew up in the dirt, the manure, the hayfields, etc, etc. I believe that really does help for a good strong immunity system. Our kids have always socialized in groups, even through covid, and they just don't get sick much. Neither does my wife or I. We just live life as we need to and keep pressing on.

But we have a guy at church that I have dubbed as "patient zero" because he has been sick nonstop for the past two years it seems. Then he has family visiting and they all get sick as well, and it just keeps going round and round with him. And he was a major hand sanitizer guy even before covid. I think it does more harm than good, especially long term.

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Actually the opposite. We don't even have hand sanitizer, and we never went to the covid protocols with masking and isolating etc. But we all grew up in the dirt, the manure, the hayfields, etc, etc. I believe that really does help for a good strong immunity system. Our kids have always socialized in groups, even through covid, and they just don't get sick much. Neither does my wife or I. We just live life as we need to and keep pressing on.

But we have a guy at church that I have dubbed as "patient zero" because he has been sick nonstop for the past two years it seems. Then he has family visiting and they all get sick as well, and it just keeps going round and round with him. And he was a major hand sanitizer guy even before covid. I think it does more harm than good, especially long term.

Yeah, that was kind of tongue-in-cheek. We don't really use hand sanitizer and our kids are around lots of other kids.

87TT

WKR
Kids are carriers. That said, we also don’t avoid stuff and just build up immunities.

Keep exercising. Make it a priority right now. Your wife and kids will learn it is part of your routine. Eventually they will also make it part of their routine. Win/Win.

Sleep! I know you want a couple of hours to yourself after you finally get them to sleep. Minimize this and maximize your sleep.

It gets better. Let them build their immune systems.

Northpark

WKR
Honestly my kids are always sick with something it seems. At least a little sniffle. Unfortunately not much you can do about it other than to eat as healthy as you can. This means eating what works for your body. Like me for example if I stay away from grains I tend to. Get sick less. Think it might have something to do with inflammation or something. So lots of meat, fruits, veggies and tree nuts for me. Figure out what your body needs and eat that. Then exercise on a routine. Even when you get sick try to stick to at least a light walk outside just to stay on schedule. Other than that, ya kids are carriers and you’re gonna be sick.

CM

WKR
Childeren are bioterrorists. Every freaking time my wife sees her sister, her kids give my kids something.

I try and be courteous and keep my kids home if they're sick, but I don't think that's an option for everyone.

I don't have much advice. I think it's just one of the sucky parts about this stage of life.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Just embrace being sick has been my answer. Staying hydrated can help, as can humidifiers. Moist mucus membranes can deal with pathogens better. Treating allergies can also help.

Some of it is building immunity. For me, with a 2 and 5 year old, it is easier to just accept it as part of life and move on.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hahaha, my kids are 9 and 7 and this story is old news for us. Like it has been said, stay as internally and externally as healthy as you can, then raise those sick chickens till they build up those teenage immortality genes we've all had.

My boy has been de-wormed three times this year alone! Nasty as kids rely on us for strength, hell I can barely not vomit most days!

Famous quote from last summer..."daddy, I've got dancing worms in my poop and they look like they need a hulahoop or somethin, can I play with them? No son, gawd. We need those for fish bait!"

You got this man. Nothin but another thang.

P Carter

WKR
Yup, there’s no avoiding it. Eat as well as you can, workout regularly, be patient when you’re sick (think: with this workout am I myself up or breaking myself down?)…you have a *long* time horizon…like infinite…, get some sleep. And think: literally billions of people have dealt with this for over 100,000 years, I can do it also. It’ll get better over time.

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
You guys all suck, I came here for a silver bullet and all you’re telling me is that this is par for the course. 😂

Sounds like we’re on the right track - doing what we can to stay as healthy as we can, and enduring.

87TT

WKR
You guys all suck, I came here for a silver bullet and all you’re telling me is that this is par for the course. 😂

Sounds like we’re on the right track - doing what we can to stay as healthy as we can, and enduring.
Yep, suck it up buttercup:D

Last edited:
My wife runs an in-home daycare so we always get the latest round of viruses. Our kids (3 yo and 10 mth old) will have a strong immune system by the time they hit school (fingers crossed). I take a variety of supplements daily that seems to work for me:

-Creatine (5mg daily)
-Whey protein
-Vitamin D
-B12 vitamin
-Men's One-a-Day multivitamin
-Fish Oil/Omega 3
-Garlic extract

Whenever I notice a sickness going around or sniffling kids I will also add a vitamin C pill and elderberry pill. No idea if any of this will work for you, but seems to keep me relatively free and clear of the latest round of viruses. Also, cold plunges nearly daily. Cheers!