Steel barrel help

Jmort1754

WKR
Going to rebarrel my 300 prc with a steel barrel I think. Just looking at contours and I would like it to be as light as possible.

Going 22 inch barrel with threads for a brake at the time being.

What contour barrel should I look at? I think I am going with a hart but unsure of contours and working night shift really screws with my time to call them.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
Perfect thank you. Trying to understand contours messes with my head.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
If you look up a Douglas #4 that is the size I know some people wont thread a barrel even that small at the crown but being cut down to 22 it should be fine McGowan barrels has a pdf on their website that will show you all the contours as well as dimensions for each talk to who is threading your barrel to what thread pitch and they will probably have a recommendation. I'm going with a 22" 5A contour for my current 35 whelen project.

TexLuke

FNG
As already said, do your research by looking at contour charts of whatever barrel manufacturer you’re looking to use. Not all their contours are equivalent..for example and Bartlein 3 is close to a Brux, Kreiger, Shilen 4. A Bartlein 3b is more like a 5 from other makers..

I would want 5/8”-24 muzzle threads with a 30 cal bore, so you’ll most likely want a contour that with muzzle diameter of about .725” or larger at your desired finish length. I have had a Brux 4 threaded 5/8”-24 at about 21”, and it had just enough muzzle diameter to work (it was .710 IIRC). I believe a Brux 5 or Bart 3b would easily have enough meat for 5/8 at 22”

If you’re building a lightweight rifle and want a lighter contour there are ways to thread a smaller barrel 5/8 and using a collar for a shoulder (which I’ve not personally tried)… see the thread below for more info on that