Stock inletting questions

How much of a challenge/annoyance is it for you that bolt stops, ejection ports, etc differ so much between custom R700 clones? Mainly in regards to the aesthetics of how the stock matches up with the action.

Would it be a pain in the ass to inlet for trigger hangers such as the Impact ones to the point it's not worth it?

With the MDT Hnt26 as an example of this (I think?) have you considered machining integral ARCA sections into the forearms of your CF stocks? Or is there a difference in the kind of materials in how the Hnt26 chassis did that? Theoretically of course, since I think the jury's out on the durability of that integral ARCA section for the Hnt26. I guess the question could also be generalized into "how do you see the expanded adoption of ARCA rails/accessories influencing your stocks in the near-term?"

I guess that last one isn't inletting so I might just be lost in my own head but it still relates to the machining of the stock so I figured why not ask.

When minor sanding is needed for an action to fit, what concerns are there? Best technique to sand?

lak2004

WKR
How much of a challenge/annoyance is it for you that bolt stops, ejection ports, etc differ so much between custom R700 clones? Mainly in regards to the aesthetics of how the stock matches up with the action.

Would it be a pain in the ass to inlet for trigger hangers such as the Impact ones to the point it's not worth it?

With the MDT Hnt26 as an example of this (I think?) have you considered machining integral ARCA sections into the forearms of your CF stocks? Or is there a difference in the kind of materials in how the Hnt26 chassis did that? Theoretically of course, since I think the jury's out on the durability of that integral ARCA section for the Hnt26. I guess the question could also be generalized into "how do you see the expanded adoption of ARCA rails/accessories influencing your stocks in the near-term?"

I guess that last one isn't inletting so I might just be lost in my own head but it still relates to the machining of the stock so I figured why not ask.
I like this idea, it would be sweet to have the area forward of the mag to a point machined as arca. My concern would be if it broke, you are sol

I like this idea, it would be sweet to have the area forward of the mag to a point machined as arca. My concern would be if it broke, you are sol
The widespread adoption of ARCA in the LR shooting and hunting communities must be a big deal for stock/chassis makers. A few chassis makers already machine in integral ARCA rails since they're dealing with metal anyway. But I also imagine it has influenced some of the traditional stockmakers to widen/flatten/straighten their forends as well.

Last edited:

HNTR918

WKR
Kimber LA action inlet with M5 BDM mag inlets would be awesome!

You would sell hundreds if marketed well.

OP
S

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
It is only an annoyance on the engineering side. Each custom 700 action does have different ejection ports and bolt handle cuts so it takes a lot of time to create those CNC files to accommodate it. We don’t have a large engineering department so our priorities are to do new models and new inlets. We are expanding that department so we can get these slight inlet differences dialed in and offered to the retail public. But it’s never been high on the list because of all the other projects we have constantly going on, especially when a gunsmith or even a individual who knows how to use a file/dremel can get it done.

If there was enough requests for it we could definitely do it. I think we’ve gotten maybe 5 calls on it but again once we have room to expand the inlets that’s definitely an easy one to add in.

We have that exact plan on the list to tackle this summer. We see the demand for it and we just have to put it through the development stage.

OP
S

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
When minor sanding is needed for an action to fit, what concerns are there? Best technique to sand?
There isn’t a concern for the integrity of the stock if it’s minor since the bedding block material extends all the way to the carbon shell.

Best technique for sanding would be either a file or a small dowel wrapped in sand paper. Depending on what you’re trying to fit.

We have that exact plan on the list to tackle this summer. We see the demand for it and we just have to put it through the development stage.
That's really cool and I look forward to seeing how it goes. Has the widespread adoption of ARCA caused you to flatten/straighten/widen the forends of some stocks? For some models I imagine it's in your head of "people are going to want to put a rail on this".

OP
S

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
That's really cool and I look forward to seeing how it goes. Has the widespread adoption of ARCA caused you to flatten/straighten/widen the forends of some stocks? For some models I imagine it's in your head of "people are going to want to put a rail on this".
Yes which is why we came out with the ST5 and the VGH 700

Lawnboi

WKR
Integral carbon arca would be the cats ass. I got rid of all my nest mag well plates because I hate carrying my rifle with them. I could deal with a formed in arca. Same could be done to the front.

OP
S

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Any update on xbolt inlets since the last podcast?
No new updates. We already did the preliminary files last year so once we’re done with the Winchester 70 stocks that should be next to come out. And it shouldn’t take very long since we already did the hard part.

We just added another engineer to the team which should speed up the to do list.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
What particular measurements would you or someone at UM need for the trigger hanger inletting?

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Will the rem 700 stocks work with a Christensen Arms? How much modification would it take?

wnelson14

WKR
This isn’t really a question but a request. It would be cool to buy an after market carbon shell (or something like a cup) to be able to expoxy on to an exist stockys stocks grip to shorten LOP. Obviously some epoxy on the sides and fitting and sanding would need to happen, but this would be great instead of layers of epoxy or getting creative to adding layers

JCMCUBIC

WKR
It is only an annoyance on the engineering side. Each custom 700 action does have different ejection ports and bolt handle cuts so it takes a lot of time to create those CNC files to accommodate it. We don’t have a large engineering department so our priorities are to do new models and new inlets. We are expanding that department so we can get these slight inlet differences dialed in and offered to the retail public. But it’s never been high on the list because of all the other projects we have constantly going on, especially when a gunsmith or even a individual who knows how to use a file/dremel can get it done.

I understand some folks want perfect match up.

Myself, I'm very happy with a chassis level inlet, sitting level with the bottom of the port, below offside bolt release, wider bolt handle inlet, and running level to the end of the barrel channel. Even a standard extremely free floated barrel inlet that would take all contours is fine with me. Easier to manufacture, will work for all matching action footprints/barrels, and will be an overall lighter stock.

Again, I understand some folks want a perfect match though.

OP
S

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Will the rem 700 stocks work with a Christensen Arms? How much modification would it take?
Yes they will work with little to no fitting. The main difference is they use a side bolt release whereas a true Remington action has the bolt release right infront of the trigger. We do make our 700 stocks fit the top bolt release so you don’t have to worry about fitting that.

This may not be the intent of the thread, but I ordered a 700 long action VG2 stock to go on a Christensen Arms Ridgeline 300 WM. Will I have to make any modifications to the inletting to fit the Christensen action and factory hinged floorplate? I know it's a 700 clone but I've heard there are some minor differences.

Edit: Looks like this was already asked. Thanks.