Stone Glacier and Kifaru

i think we need more unbiased, head to head reviews like this one. i think stoves should be next. hopefully people arent as emotionally invested there ;)
kifaru vs so vs ed vs tigoat? yea?

People are emotionally invested in their packs and some don't know how to deal with objective testing results that suggests their pack isn't on top of the totem pole...

Mike

Well stated. I've tried to politely state that a time or two, but we all are biased (including myself) in ways we don't see but others do. I know that I would do some gear different with what I know now, but I thought I was making a good decision at the time and will live with it until I break down and buy something different. Contrary to popular belief, there are good products out there besides Brand X (X being whatever the topic of discussion is).

Glad to see the passion, but there is a limit to passion. Thanks for the effort, Matt.

Last edited:
It was NOT my intent to come across sounding like a whiner. I had a few nasty PMs, but it was just a very few out of hundreds. Many more guys already had a pack they really liked, and were looking more for a validation of their current opinion, than information on other packs.

The nasty stuff actually came to me mostly through some other forums, and one guy that somehow got my number and called me on the phone.

In any case, I am not that fragile. I just really did want to provide some useful information, and I certainly don't want to be seen as "hyping" anything.

As far as more time with the packs... I fully intend to do that. As it is, I have quite a few miles on with both packs (more with the Stone Glacier, as I had it longer). I didn't update the thread or post a video with every test. I took the BT1 on EXACTLY the same 8 mile hike that I originally took the Terminus on, for example. I would also often wear the packs for workout "hikes" after work, and it was usually dark, so video wouldn't have been practical anyway. I feel comfortable putting some conclusions on paper, but reserve the right to add to them in the future.

i should have kept track of miles, but I didn't. Somebody should make an APP for that. ;)

A couple of people have been awesome throughout this test: Aron and Kurt. Both have been absolutely top notch, and put up with all of my questions. The hunting industry is better with them in it.

It was NOT my intent to come across sounding like a whiner. I had a few nasty PMs, but it was just a very few out of hundreds. Many more guys already had a pack they really liked, and were looking more for a validation of their current opinion, than information on other packs.

The nasty stuff actually came to me mostly through some other forums, and one guy that somehow got my number and called me on the phone.

In any case, I am not that fragile. I just really did want to provide some useful information, and I certainly don't want to be seen as "hyping" anything.

As far as more time with the packs... I fully intend to do that. As it is, I have quite a few miles on with both packs (more with the Stone Glacier, as I had it longer). I didn't update the thread or post a video with every test. I took the BT1 on EXACTLY the same 8 mile hike that I originally took the Terminus on, for example. I would also often wear the packs for workout "hikes" after work, and it was usually dark, so video wouldn't have been practical anyway. I feel comfortable putting some conclusions on paper, but reserve the right to add to them in the future.

i should have kept track of miles, but I didn't. Somebody should make an APP for that. ;)

A couple of people have been awesome throughout this test: Aron and Kurt. Both have been absolutely top notch, and put up with all of my questions. The hunting industry is better with them in it.

I'm kind of glad you didn't video the entire review, looking fwd to your write-up, almost feels like a wrapped present just waiting to be opened, lol.

I have learned so much about backs over the last year. More than I knew existed. Also even though I already invested in a kifaru pack based on my research I was still excited to see the SG back and how it compared. I agree with what others have said about Matt doing a GREAT job on this compare. He doesn't try to guide you one way or the other and he is honest of what he is seeing and not putting personnel opinion in it. But what people need to realize is everyone on this site is has emotional investment in something related to hunting. They are passionate about it. If they weren't you wouldn't be seeing the same names posting a lot and we all wouldn't be discussing it. I think someone called Rokslide a family once and I could see that. So no sense being upset. Now if you tell me that my bowtech sucks.. then we might have problems. :)

For what is worth Matt.... Over the time and years now that I've read your posts and feedback shared on various forums, this one included, I've found you to be one of the most helpful, honest and respectful and encouraging folks out there on the forum. You tell the good and not so good that you find on what you try out and you share it with others.

This post has got to be one of the most read, hitting over 30K views now. It's of no surprise to me you would be getting different opinions wanting to see what they have come up on top.

Hang in there Matt and I want to say thank you. I for one find the value in your reviews.

Couldn't agree more!

I need to apologize to Bighub. I didn't mean to single him out like I did. his post merely put me in mind of some of the other feedback I have gotten.

His point about relative weights with heavy loads is a good one, IMO, and like everyone on rokslide, he is entitled to his opinion.

As I have mentioned before, I am not much of an ounce-counter, and practical performance is of much greater importance than weight to me as well. Still, practical performance at lighter weights is always welcome to me.

BB excellent job! Great vidoes and post updates.

Like most I never paid much attention to my pack until this past season. I like many other hunter just bought what was pimped in the big name mags with the most ads/hype or got what was given to me or found on sale. When I was younger this wasn't really a problem, you can usually live through anything when you are in your 20's and early 30's. But as I get older I really started to look hard at my gear and since, after a bit of research, the best gear is almost always things you have to order and can't readily try before you buy. Your kind of real life reviews are priceless. Certaintly no hype, I thought the opposite, you are giving us the real deal, like it or not, which is what I want .

Hey BB, I have to thank you for doing such a good job on an unbiased review. The owners of these 2 companies couldn't ask for a better real world and fair comparison of thier products. I have been a die-hard MR/Dana guy for 20 years and you have me seriously thinking about a possible change due entirely to your work.

BB, you are doing an awesome job on this comparison! I can't see how anyone could be pissed about anything you've said in the videos or written on this thread. I don't remember one time you have this pack is better than this pack. I think you meant for this whole think to be informative and so far it has been 100%.

Also, stand up move on the apology to bighub. I can't speak for him but I didn't take it as him singling you out on hyping anything. I read it as him just making a general statement about lightweight packs. He has a point too. Having said that I will choose the lighter pack that fits and hauls the same or better as the heavier pack everyday of the week.

Thanks for all the work that has gone into this thing.

Who sends "hate" mail anyway? Does the outcome or process of a pack comparison mean that much?

I have had an owner of a company call and email non stop when I told him his pack was not good and told him why, he still to this day (6 months later) sends me emails or texts every once in awhile asking when I will post a review that is positive. People are psycho!

As I have mentioned before, I am not much of an ounce-counter, and practical performance is of much greater importance than weight to me as well. Still, practical performance at lighter weights is always welcome to me.

I couldn't agree more. Never jumped completely on the ounce-counting wagon, but will gladly save weight where it makes good sense and can be done without sacrificing too much durability...

Great review so far! Thanks for taking the time!

Well my wife would send Matt some serious hate mail for sure if she knew he was part of the reason our bank account took a hit!

Hey Matt I really like the work that you have put into this comparison on the packs. Thank you for all the hard work that you have done. Most of us can't go and try the pack out so your help us appreciated. Also love the videos it is great. Keep up the good work.

"A couple of people have been awesome throughout this test: Aron and Kurt. Both have been absolutely top notch, and put up with all of my questions. The hunting industry is better with them in it. "

Matt, I, like others have really liked and enjoyed your reviews. And based on them, I will be going with a Stone Glacier especially after talking with Kurt the other day on the phone. Very helpful and class act. One of the questions that I had for him was that I had only seen a right handed rifle carry system and he said that he would accomodate me being that I wanted it on the left side being I am a leftie and that is how I like to carry it.

Randy

I know the weight issue is always brought up, but in my opinion/reality does the 5lb difference between one pack and another matter when you have it loaded.

it will matter in one situation - super cub weight capacity when flying into sheep country. One air service allows a maxium of 50 pounds for the pack. Your rifle and your person are separate (stuff your pockets!). Another air service goes with a max load of 250 pounds for the person, pack, and rifle. These conditions will allow for a meat load to come out in one trip rather than needing a meat flight in addition to your own flight.

That five pounds of pack weight becomes five pounds of what you have to leave behind in your truck.

With my up coming true backcountry sheep hunt in Tok I am seriously hanging on this thread for making a new gear purchase. I might be too late to get a Kifaru pack this year with enough lead time to use it. I might be "stuck" with getting a SG. It won't replace my old camptrails frame with a kelty suspension (yet) for meat hauling. It will, however, allow me to take 5 more pounds of food on the plane.

it will matter in one situation - super cub weight capacity when flying into sheep country. One air service allows a maxium of 50 pounds for the pack. Your rifle and your person are separate (stuff your pockets!). Another air service goes with a max load of 250 pounds for the person, pack, and rifle. These conditions will allow for a meat load to come out in one trip rather than needing a meat flight in addition to your own flight.

That five pounds of pack weight becomes five pounds of what you have to leave behind in your truck.

With my up coming true backcountry sheep hunt in Tok I am seriously hanging on this thread for making a new gear purchase. I might be too late to get a Kifaru pack this year with enough lead time to use it. I might be "stuck" with getting a SG. It won't replace my old camptrails frame with a kelty suspension (yet) for meat hauling. It will, however, allow me to take 5 more pounds of food on the plane.

Yeah Matt, love the review, very interesting to drop in and read what's been happening with the packs.

On the weight issue, imo every ounce counts, walk long enough and far enough with a heavy load on your back, you can become that mind numbingly bored that you start to think of ANY way of successfully saving on weight, obviously there is a toss up though between whether saving the weight is going to be of benefit or hinderance. I have never been one for taking any cooking pots, just a simple mug, and pour hot water into dehyd packets, this saves on weight well, and water, as very little washing up is required, however, these days I sought of prefer to sit back and at least try and enjoy my meal like a civilised human by cooking and eating out of a pot/jetboil style mug. Until 2 years ago I never carried a mattress, I even take an inflating pillow know. lol

Last edited:
Back